• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
What doesn't add up?

It's the Titan replacement. It's intended for compute-intensive workloads that need loads of memory and potentially multiple cards. It's not intended as a gaming card.
False. It's a gaming card, hence why it's targeted at gamers and for 8K gaming during presentation. And also because its non-gaming capabilities are gimped through drivers (half fp16 etc) & there's a Titan Ampere on its way.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
That's what I meant. I watched it and it convinced me the 3080 is not the jump Jensen alluded to in the kitchen. I was saying your disappointed but your still buying it then?

I looked at it as it is double the performance the fastest card I ever had (Titan xp). I bought and sold that for around £450. So not bad for double the performance for an extra £200 on top of that £450 no? Plus I only see it as a card to do the job as a 18-24 months. It will be sold before next gen stuff is out (not referring to any mid gen refresh cards) and by that I mean hopper or whatever AMD has at the time assuming I upgrade my monitor for something that is both freesync and G-Sync.

I am not too worried about what Jensen says/said. We knew he is full of **** all the way back from the GTX 970 days.

You say it won't reach 2x RT performance, yet the data above shows that is already the case? 35 to 70 and 31 to 62 is literally 2x the performance...

It seems the general rasterization performance between generations isn't as big as we've seen the in the past, even with the cards wound up and chewing through electricity, but in the situations where it can make use of the technology it's supposed to be leveraging it absolutely wipes the floor with Turing. The tensor cores, whilst not that higher in number than Turing, perform much better to accelerate DLSS as that's really all they're getting used for in games. Should games start to use tensor computation to accelerate physics calculations further, then it will only stretch it's legs further and further.

You are not understanding what I am saying or I am not saying it right. I wanted a lot more RT & Tensor cores that are more efficient. I wanted to see when enabling RT for the frame rate not to tank so much. It still tanks about the same amount as it did before. Maybe 10% less? That what they said in the video. Hence disappointing.

As I said I fully agree with the conclusion hardware unboxed came up with. If you do not agree with me you are essentially not agree with them also :p

Very nice! I hope you enjoy it :) I'm waiting till I'm paid in October to make a decision as that's when I can afford a 3080... however by this time big navi will be announced and if it delivers we MAY hear about more Nvidia gpus :D

Thanks man. Yeah I am sure nvidia GPUs will be more plentiful come November :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh that's excellent news. Many thanks for testing for us. Well that's my mind at rest now I know hopefully what I'm getting for Christmas now. :)

Yeah on this card you just switch on freesync ultimate with my 2018 q8dn and nvidia automatically switched on gsync in the menu. It works straight away no messing about and 4k 60hz is very responsive no screen tearing.

When I tried freesync on this same TV with the 5700xt it was much more temperamental I had to keep switching it on and off in the menu and cycling through each time I booted a game up to get it to work.

On the AMD card it did up date the Hz on the info menu where this one doesn't but that's a non issue.

It seems very impressive from nvidia that they are doing a better job of compatibility than the 5700xt with it being a freesync TV.

Associate
Market: "You want us to pay £1,000-£1,200 for a 2080 Ti which only offers 25% performance over the previous model which came out two years ago for £700? That is a terrible value proposition!".

3090: "Hold my beer..."

Associate
I am confused over all the arguing to and fro so passionately about why the 3080 is great or terrible....

Anything in life is worth what value YOU place on it, totally subjective and personal.

Is the 3080 all Nvidia claimed it to be? hell no but Im not sure anyone here believed it was.

Is the 3080 a great card? And the current market leader in performance? Absolutely.

Is the 3080 still a great card for £700+ quid? Well again subjective the 2080Ti was so over priced that £700 seems quite reasonable?? But it wasn't long ago £500 was thought of as a vast sum for a top GPU.

You all need to keep in mind that we are in the midst of a global pandemic and people and tempers are at an all time high, people are stressed as F'k!
Your all tech fan's here to share discussion about a shared hobby topic, your own opinion is valid but possibly not the only one, just feels like allot of sniping at each other in some places.
Remember your all humans and human fans of GPU's in this case, play nice with each other, life is short! Trust me!

Anyway AMD is gonna beat the 3080 hands down haha <--- Kidding !! dont shoot!!

Soldato
Dunno what to do.

I want to put in an order so I get my self in the queue and have a chance of getting a card by Xmas.

But by the time we are going to wait months to receive cards during that time AMD is going to release cards and if the rumours of 16GB AMD cards are true we might see Nvidia release cards with more vram.

Personally I cant see a 20GB 3080 being less than £800 surely? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

GDDR6X is expensive after all.

Also I only game at 1440p so 10GB vram will be enough. And secondly I'm not sure I should be buying the more expensive card anyway as the price of the 10GB is already expensive.

A lot of you have pulled the trigger already but I am always like this... I like to draw it out to be 100% sure I make the right choice. :o

Caporegime
Been in hospital for a few days so only just seen the benches.

I’m a bit disappointed, and I really wanted one, but it’s got me thinking. I game at 1440p, and the improvements there are not great at all, particularly in FS2020. What with the stock shortages and all, do you think I’m better off just waiting for the 3070? I’m thinking it looks better value for 1440p.

Soldato

I’m a bit disappointed, and I really wanted one, but it’s got me thinking. I game at 1440p, and the improvements there are not great at all, particularly in FS2020. What with the stock shortages and all, do you think I’m better off just waiting for the 3070? I’m thinking it looks better value for 1440p.

Yes and no.

Obviously in a lot of current games at 1440p the 3080 is overkill. However factor in RT and next gen games and I reckon the power of the 3080 will start to come in to play.

The 3070 delivers last gen (top end) performance as far as Nvidia tells us.

It's hard to say at this point if it's enough in the next gen titles.

Assuming ultra and RT features turned on of course.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

What you currently on?

Back
Top Bottom