• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why don't you guys just....wait a bit?

Associate
I cant see these 3080 20gb cards being anounced till well into next year considering that there is such a backlog of orders for the 3080 and there will also be for the 3090. All that would do is annoy a lot of 3080 buyers. They will keep it on the back burner till atleast May i reckon.

Official FE no, but Gigabyte have already announced a 20 Gb model of their Eagle 3080 due to be released soon.

I think I will try holding out for a dual slot refresh or 20 Gb version now, it doesn't seem likely to happen though (AIB ones are 3 slots) and I don't want to get a new case.

Associate
Official FE no, but Gigabyte have already announced a 20 Gb model of their Eagle 3080 due to be released soon.

I think I will try holding out for a dual slot refresh or 20 Gb version now, it doesn't seem likely to happen though (AIB ones are 3 slots) and I don't want to get a new case.

Did not think they could release bigger versions of the cards unless Nvida had done so first? Just like when the 2080 supers came out. Nvida had founders editions of these cards.

Associate
Did not think they could release bigger versions of the cards unless Nvida had done so first? Just like when the 2080 supers came out. Nvida had founders editions of these cards.

I think you're right. It requires Nvidia approval first. So if they are making one with 20GB, then it's because Nvidia are allowing it, and the rest to do it as well since it's a design decision which comes from the top.

I cant see these 3080 20gb cards being anounced till well into next year considering that there is such a backlog of orders for the 3080 and there will also be for the 3090. All that would do is annoy a lot of 3080 buyers. They will keep it on the back burner till atleast May i reckon.

I agree, and then the pricing will be a lot more also, it puts into a whole new pricing bracket, I'm happy to pay £650 for a 10gb 3080, but potentially £800-£900 for a 20gb version? Nope.

Soldato
Would would NVIDIA release 20GB 3080 cards within a couple of months? Surely that is commercial suicide as people would lose complete and utter faith in NVIDIA's releases?

They'll have to back 3080 10GB of VRAM for at least 8-12 months.

Ico

Ico

Associate

20gb model soon? they cant fulfill 10gb model orders for months forget 20gb model coming soon

Soldato
The launch of a new GPU is the most important time for Nvidia. Sales of the previous gen have been slow for months and they've got all that R&D to get back.

Nvidia wants your money ASAP and you're DESPERATE to please them. Why not take control and choose when YOU want to upgrade. Not when Nvidia wants you to upgrade.

That's the way I look at it. I'm not letting a big company control me like that. Desperately hitting the refresh at 13.59 on release day OMG.

Be the puppeteer, not the puppet.

don't follow this logic too strictly.

Imagine if you CHOSE to upgrade 2 months ago and bought a 2080TI then :D :D
Not sure who is the puppeteer in that situation ;)

Soldato
I agree, and then the pricing will be a lot more also, it puts into a whole new pricing bracket, I'm happy to pay £650 for a 10gb 3080, but potentially £800-£900 for a 20gb version? Nope.

The 2080s was the same or cheaper than the 2080, ok theres the extra chips to supply but the production run and supply chain will be mature and setup costs recovered by then so I'd be surprised if they're significantly more expensive if at all.

Soldato
Would would NVIDIA release 20GB 3080 cards within a couple of months? Surely that is commercial suicide as people would lose complete and utter faith in NVIDIA's releases?

Yes it would be tragic if the scalper's 10Gb 3080 cards dropped in value overnight. They'd make a huge loss. I wouldn't want them to loose faith in Nvidia :D

Soldato
Sitting tight and waiting on big navi new build is going to be all AMD this time round I think unless AMD tank it badly

Soldato
Apparently production for the 3080 only started in AUGUST :eek:!!!
No wonder there are shortages.

I have always said shortages are not by accident, its a strategy for nvidia now.

Creates panic buying and price increases. Also can produce to demand instead of speculative sale predictions.

Remember end of pascal life? 1080ti's in shortages and high prices for several months, then when they had to clear out the warehouses ready for turing, all retailers got flooded with the cards and amazing pricing as a result. These cards werent just all magically produced late on, they were kept back.

Soldato
I have always said shortages are not by accident, its a strategy for nvidia now.

Creates panic buying and price increases. Also can produce to demand instead of speculative sale predictions.

You know Nvidia won't be making extra money out of inflated prices? Their prices are pretty much fixed with deals months ago with their 3rd party partners.

Associate

They'll have to back 3080 10GB of VRAM for at least 8-12 months.

I doubt many of the nvidia obsessives would pause for more than a few hours, seething with fomo frothing rage, before sticking their 3080 10gb cards up for sale and repeating the whole launch day scenario again.

Not to say that's people on this forum, but it probably would be how some people on this forum would react.

Soldato
There's a valid reason Nvidia didn't price the 3080 FE at £800-900 MSRP, we all know they could get away with it in the short term. They have a good idea of what AMD are up to with RDNA 2, a card with performance between 3070-3080, 16GB of VRAM with less power consumption and a ~£500 price point is enough to make them drop their 'top tier' pricing.

Soldato
Except that in very real and practical terms, Nvidia haven't dropped their pricing. You will never be able to get a Founders Edition, and any AIB model close to MSRP will be junk dies with cheap coolers. Those AIB models with decent dies and decent coolers will be a couple hundred quid above MSRP.

It's a great play by Nvidia, the loyalists and the stupid have fallen for the panic buying tactic once again, all because the 3080 is such "great value". It's beyond retarded.

Back
Top Bottom