LG 34gn850 - unnacceptable IPS glow & light bleed? replacement?

Associate
Just got my new LG34GN850 from Overclockers and after turning the lights out I have found pretty horrific level of IPS glow and backlight bleed?

Is this level unnacceptable & does it warant a replacement?

UCwRNvR.jpeg

Also the Power supply bricket makes a constant awful whining/buzzing noise

Soldato
You need to adjust your camera settings if possible. The photo is extremely over-exposed as you can see from the taskbar to the bottom left so is not representative of how the monitor looks to the eye. You should also make sure you're taking the photo as centrally as possible and at least 1.3m back from the screen to eliminate 'IPS glow'. You want to show any remaining uniformity issues so people can judge them in isolation.

Permabanned
Forgive me for sounding blunt here, but why on earth buy an IPS monitor if glow annoys you? I find that I have never noticed IPS glow during normal use of a monitor. Even when the picture goes black there are usually more reflections from the room than there is glow. I guess that maybe just me but I wonder if it wouldn't be better if you get a different technology? VA for example. There are some very nice VA monitors about.
The power brick shouldn't whine though. You may be able to fix that by turning the brightness down a bit.

Associate
I have also just picked this monitor up so hopefully i can give you some help
My unit shipped with the power brick in the box and OCUK also additionally shipped me a seperate power brick. I'm using the extra one and not suffering any noise at all so maybe check in with them if you didnt get the extra power brick and ask if they can send you one

I've had an Acer X34 previously and this is the replacement, as far as IPS glow is concerned i think this LG is substantially better I barely notice it in normal bad situations, such as watching films and media with black borders

Here is a photo of my screen in pitch black.

https://imgur.com/GwRcAQp

And here in normal lighting

https://imgur.com/yvPSh8g

It's more difficult for me to take one fully lit but this is the best i could do ignore my shadow in the middle of the screen

Soldato
Reduce the brightness, sit the monitor further back.

IPS glow and bleed is an extremely common fault on IPS panels. To me IMO the curve makes it appear worse. I had a PG349Q last year and it was almost unbearable for me.

If gaming in the dark I wouldn’t recommend an IPS panel to anyone unless you are happy reducing the brightness by a fair bit.

Back
Top Bottom