Long story, engineer report.

Associate
Hi was wondering if anyone could help.

Long story, will try to keep it as short as possible.

My insurance company contacted me stating that I had been involved in an incident, wouldn't elaborate on anything else other than there is multiple claims being made against me and the time and place. I haven't been involved in any incident, so was news to me. Where and when they are saying the incident took place is impossible as I was on the total other side of the city picking my kids up from school, don't know how I would prove this, but remember because it was their first day back, first day for my boy starting highschool.

My insurance company wants to send an independent engineer to "assess" the vehicle to see if any damage would/could match up with the claimants according to the letter they sent.

My car is in good nick for its age and mileage and I don't mind the engineer visit, but herein lies the problem, more of a personal issue, I have to travel around 300+ miles down south for around 4 weeks, my great uncle was put in a home earlier this year as his wife couldn't cope anymore, his only son lives in Singapore, with all the stuff happening with Covid, nobody was allowed to go see him, only spoke on the phone and apparently even then he was being coached but who knows. Last week his wife was allowed to actually see him with her visiting grandson and basically he was in an awful state, estimating he's lost about 20kgs and is just totally out of it, she's decided to bring him back home. I'm going down south to help them settle until her son can move back permanently with his wife and to look after them both.

Now I'm not taking the car in question as I wouldn't trust it on the journey esp with 3 kids in tow, I have another newer car and I'll be taking that. What I want to know is will the engineer just inspect the outside of the car or will he need the keys, don't want to leave the keys with neighbors, one side is a very old frail lady who is scared to answer the door, the other side is a single mother of 5 boys, who I might add keeps nicking my parcels, wouldn't trust her boys not to take the car for a joyride (anyone ever watch 'The Middle'? They remind me of The Glossners.)

I left a message the other day with my insurance company but nobody has go back to me yet and I just want to get it sorted before I leave on Tuesday. Is it unreasonable for me to say the car is on the driveway have at it? I mean, I don't want to look like I'm putting it off or anything like that, but I've already made commitments and arranged time off for the kids to coincide with their holidays. When I rang earlier the girl on the other end of the phone didn't have a clue, and since leaving a message, I've not heard back..

Don't know what the engineer is going to do or how he's going to inspect the vehicle, anybody have any experience. Other solution is get breakdown cover and take this car, even though it will be a tight fit and ask them to send a local engineer to where I'm staying... Not sure, but the kid's hate the car and I'm going to hear about it the entire journey there, back and some!

Thanks for taking a look and sorry for the long boring story.

Soldato
Something similar happened to my dad years ago, and the inspector only checked the outside of the car. He was there at the time to speak to the inspector though, and would have been able to open the car if required.

Soldato
Perhaps you car plates had been cloned.

most likely outcome.

I would ask your insurance company to put everything in writing to you before you agree to anything. I'm not saying anything dodgy is going on but did you confirm everything with your insurance company on the original call - Did they go through security questions/information etc.

Tell them you want everything in writing before you will agree to anything. If it's as bad as they say (multiple claims etc) - there is likely that the police would have also been in touch (leaving the scene of an accident etc)

Make sure you check out the details properly before agreeing to anything.

Associate
OP
Perhaps you car plates had been cloned.

I think I've been living under a rock because with all this nonsense I've only just recently found out this is a thing.

most likely outcome.

I would ask your insurance company to put everything in writing to you before you agree to anything. I'm not saying anything dodgy is going on but did you confirm everything with your insurance company on the original call - Did they go through security questions/information etc.

Tell them you want everything in writing before you will agree to anything. If it's as bad as they say (multiple claims etc) - there is likely that the police would have also been in touch (leaving the scene of an accident etc)

Make sure you check out the details properly before agreeing to anything.

I think this is the best route actually, because the letters I have, are from two different companies saying the company I took insurance out with are just the broker. I don't think I went through security, she just asked for the reference (which was in the letter) and my postcode. I will draft up a letter to the broker and see what they say. Can't find an email though, so snail mail it will have to be but again that doesn't help with me being out of town.

Thanks for your input guys :)

Soldato
I think I've been living under a rock because with all this nonsense I've only just recently found out this is a thing.

I think this is the best route actually, because the letters I have, are from two different companies saying the company I took insurance out with are just the broker. I don't think I went through security, she just asked for the reference (which was in the letter) and my postcode. I will draft up a letter to the broker and see what they say. Can't find an email though, so snail mail it will have to be but again that doesn't help with me being out of town.

Thanks for your input guys :)

Ignore the broker and do direct to your insurer. Deal with them directly, added the broker into the mix will only confuse/extend the time to sort things out.

Caporegime
Almost certainly cloned plates, I had a similar thing with my Focus, insurance contacted me to say I’d been involved in an accident in my car, as I was in Santorini, Greece on the day in question it was obvious that I hadn’t, they still sent a guy who just rocked up and took some exterior photos of the car and left.

The one thing I did have to do was fight with them to remove their record of “my accident” from my file, after a few heated phone calls eventually everything got sorted.

One thing for sure, put your plans first, let them work around your convenience not the other way around.

Soldato
My wife was contacted about an accident she was apparently in, it was the other end of the country and said there was no chance it was her. Never heard anything else from it.

Exterior inspection would be all they would normally need to do anyways.

They are probably looking for a quick repair job having been completed, if there is no evidence of such they will probably put it down to wrong number plate or as others have said cloning.

Have a think if you can use anything else to back up evidence, card purchase etc that would help with proving you were not where they said when. Could anyone back up your proof you were elsewhere such as another parent for that day/time.

Back
Top Bottom