• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 benchmarks are out for MSFS2020, only a few FPS more!?

Associate
Average of 53 FPS 4K Ultra thats amazing ! This game doesn’t need to be running at these fast FPS to be fair , I have this game maxed out on my 1080ti at 25 FPS and it runs super smooth for me... only time it struggles is when you fly low through massive city’s , up in the sky its supersmooth

Associate
Average of 53 FPS 4K Ultra thats amazing ! This game doesn’t need to be running at these fast FPS to be fair , I have this game maxed out on my 1080ti at 25 FPS and it runs super smooth for me... only time it struggles is when you fly low through massive city’s , up in the sky its supersmooth
Yeah but people have to jump on anything they can find to say a card that is cheaper and slighty better than a card they overpaid for 2 years ago is warranted... so the extremely small amount of people who actually play at 4k aren't happy that a card what isn't even the one to replace the 2080ti but the 2080 is slightly not as good as they were told.. now until we see the 3080ti and then see what that runs like they might have a legitimate chance to complain.

Associate
Actually with all the assets streaming going on, the 3090 with its 24GB should perform a lot better.
Not because the 3090 is going to be that much faster, but rather because 10GB is too little.
Well, assuming the developer hasn't done silly assumption about max GPU memory.

Soldato
Single threaded games in 2020. Welcome back to 2010...

I seriously think the talent has drained from the games industry completely now.

Associate
Actually with all the assets streaming going on, the 3090 with its 24GB should perform a lot better.
Not because the 3090 is going to be that much faster, but rather because 10GB is too little.
Well, assuming the developer hasn't done silly assumption about max GPU memory.

that makes no sense on a CPU bound game, we will see those results next week get ready with a face palm and egg

Caporegime
I can’t remember an edition of MSFS that wasn’t massively cpu and indeed core limited, I was expecting this to be better.

that said 2020 runs much better @4K at high settings on my 1080ti than FSX ever did.

Associate
that makes no sense on a CPU bound game, we will see those results next week get ready with a face palm and egg
Okay fair enough, but isn't that's assuming the game is 100% CPU bound?
In other words, never stalls (pun not actually intended, but will run with it now) when it has to fetch textures?
Stalling and texture load speeds has been very much talked about recently because of the new consoles. So much so, that Nvidia announced their implementation of Microsoft's DirectStorage with great fanfare.
Point being, imagine a graph with multiple lows, like this one
HuumZ6W.png
(https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/08/21/microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-performance-at-4k/4/)
Obviously to tell the full story we would CPU plots at the same time, which that review didn't provide.
My point about texture load stalls was more if we imagine that the crash to 0 frames in the above was a texture load stall and all the other lows being CPU core 0 hitting the max.

However, later in the above review they do have taskman plots and the say SSD doesn't get hit that hard most of the time after take-off so maybe there are no texture load stalls after all.
Still, you'd think that MSFS 2020 is the kind of games which could actually benefit from 24GB and it may also appeal to the kind of person willing to spend £1500+ on the GPU alone.

Associate
Still, you'd think that MSFS 2020 is the kind of games which could actually benefit from 24GB and it may also appeal to the kind of person willing to spend £1500+ on the GPU alone.

Only if the developers choose to do so, simply having the hardware isn't enough. I'd love RDR2 to have DLSS 2, same argument the hardware is there in Ampere but Rockstar don't care...

Problem you're gonna have with 3090 vram hardware is who in their right mind will optimise a game for 24GB when 1% or less of the PC gaming community will own one? They will optimise for 8GB and yes some mods will no doubt push it further but no game developer incl dem French dudes on FS2020 is going to optimise the game for 24GB.

Soldato
Single threaded games in 2020. Welcome back to 2010...

I seriously think the talent has drained from the games industry completely now.

The development on this game started when Intel quad core CPUs were the only legit gaming CPU on the market, that's why it has issues with modern CPUs now

Soldato
It's just a matter of time the new price of 2080ti will be slashed and for flight simulator it will be better value than a 3080 and a 3090 is a total waste of time for it.. People go on about vram blaa blaa for it but it never goes over your gpu vram and only ever does that with broken addons from third party add on maker's. I have every version of ms fs from the day it came on one floppy disk and has been my main reason to update my gaming system since then. It is also very cpu limited and always has been and Microsoft have gone and released a new version that still works like it was for a 1990 pc with 4 cores used in a world now with 16/18 core cpus available to the enthusiast and old direct-x.. They always promise to update later to latest DX but they always make it worse or they slap on a new DX and it adds nothing worth using or it breaks your expensive 3rd party addons in the process.. Anyone that has been using msfs as long as I have knows this and the promises Microsoft give never are worth it.. The latest update has broken more than it has fixed in true Microsoft flight simulator fashion.. Ask people using flight sticks or full blown hotas where the sensativity settings have gone now with this update they released other day... :rolleyes:... If you have a 2080ti don't waste your money upgrading to a 3080 or 3090 for msfs.. Not worth it..

I'm probably going to wait for the 2080ti prices to be slashed and get one for msfs rig or get one 2nd hand at a sensible price.. I have seen some places selling high end versions on the 2080ti for half price now new if you know where to look and they are reputable suppliers well known in the industry. So the 2080 ti has crashed already to 50% brand new. So don't be paying over £500 plus used.

Waiting for ocuk to do their regular cheap stock sales on last gen.. So expect over 50% off when that happens and I'm talking about the super high end models and cheaper models should be having a larger discount. By what happened with the 2080ti their is clearly warehouses full of unsold stock ready to get fire saled. It's started already if you know where to look if you want a new 2080ti. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Been following the new flight simulator for a few months and hope to get a new card over the next month or 2 as the gtx 970 is dying off at 1440p. The CPU limitation is crazy. Does anyone know when it might get a move to DX12 to resolve the framerate chaos? I saw a video of the 3080 managing to maintain 30+ frames at 1080p over new york so thats bearable I guess.

Exactly. Once DX12 is supported, it will fly...................excuse the pun :D:D:D
During the period when we were given various maps DX12 was one of the ones i was given. It was like night and day, all 32 threads of my 3950x were utilized. Couple that with a 3080 or 3090 and it will just be the doggies danglies.

Sounds promising! Were you beta testing?

Associate
interesting video

I get that it averages out 20% more over a 2080ti, but the thought that the 3080 struggles to manage at least 60fps at 4k? and the card is suppose to be 8k ready?

I think we will have to wait for proper benches on DX12 games that utilise all the cores and see what the 30 series does.
The 3080 doesn't struggle to manage at least 4K 60fps it simply doesn't achieve it. It's way off the level of performance needed. It's priced about right or a little over priced for it's level of performance or would be with more than 10gb of ram as it's already vram limited in some games at 4K.

Soldato
Lol wtf give it a rest, fsx was diabolical at the beginning and for a couple of years, xplane has been the same, FS2020 is a genuine miracle relatively, flying around the US sightseeing big cities is fantastic.
It is a long way of the finished product, but 2 patches in a month is good going.

Obviously with more complex addons it will be more demanding but pmdg etc will be a long time yet and are probably overkill for most users.

This thing is brilliant already yet they are intent on improving it.

I have dropped to 1440p on high and flying around London with the orbx scenery is way better than anything that's gone before.
A 3080 seems to add at least 20% which is great tbh, if you can get one thanks to all the money grabbing losers out there.

Associate
If I recall correctly x-plane/fs2020 are cpu limited, x-plane actually as a cpu and gpu frame time readout so you can see whats bottle necking you.

Back
Top Bottom