Nvidia 30X0 series waterblocks

Associate
Just had notification that my Alphacool block has been dispatched. It still shows pre-order on the site though.
I spoke to Alphacool on their facebook page, they said retailers would be getting more stock in about a week. Either that has come in early, or they actually have stock they're not showing.
If you want some detailed photos putting up when i get it, then let me know. I wont have a card to install in on though.

Soldato
@Jay85 Gives me an opportunity to finally muster up the courage to git my waterblock to my 1080Ti! Having never fitted a GPU waterblock, something about it is making me nervous as I don't want to brick a 1080Ti FTW3! I guess the reality is that it's no more difficult than building a PC or the rest of the custom loop, but something about it is making me a bit nervous!

The trickiest thing is always lowering the block onto the card trying to align with all the holes at once, so as not to come at it skew whiff and catch the capacitors on the block, or have to lift off multiple times to adjust, with the consequent mess it will make of the thermal compound. This is what I do to make this a piece of ****.

Cut up some cotton buds so you just have a length of the plastic stalk, you want one for each screw hole on the block. Lay the block on a surface with the copper side up. Wedge the plastic stalks into each screw hole and make them as vertical as possible. Cotton buds are ideal cos they are usually just the right diameter to wedge in the holes and stay there. This now gives you a guide to gently lower the card onto the block via the holes in the card, and it should self-align as it goes. You then just pull the buds out and screw together. I would do a dry run first without any paste so you get the hang of the method. You may also need to have something to raise the block off the surface so the pci bracket on the card has somewhere to go when the card is lowered onto the block, or overhang that part of the block over the edge of your desk, the dry run will help sort out the little issues. For the actual run, paste up the card as required, and depending on how sticky the heatpads are you may need to put them on the block rather than the card. This is what I do and have never had a problem with getting a block onto a card.

Associate
The trickiest thing is always lowering the block onto the card trying to align with all the holes at once, so as not to come at it skew whiff and catch the capacitors on the block, or have to lift off multiple times to adjust, with the consequent mess it will make of the thermal compound. This is what I do to make this a piece of ****.

Cut up some cotton buds so you just have a length of the plastic stalk, you want one for each screw hole on the block. Lay the block on a surface with the copper side up. Wedge the plastic stalks into each screw hole and make them as vertical as possible. Cotton buds are ideal cos they are usually just the right diameter to wedge in the holes and stay there. This now gives you a guide to gently lower the card onto the block via the holes in the card, and it should self-align as it goes. You then just pull the buds out and screw together. I would do a dry run first without any paste so you get the hang of the method. You may also need to have something to raise the block off the surface so the pci bracket on the card has somewhere to go when the card is lowered onto the block, or overhang that part of the block over the edge of your desk, the dry run will help sort out the little issues. For the actual run, paste up the card as required, and depending on how sticky the heatpads are you may need to put them on the block rather than the card. This is what I do and have never had a problem with getting a block onto a card.
Makes it sound far more complicated than it actually is. I've done several blocks over the years and never struggled to line things up. They pretty much self locate.

Associate
Why make it so complicated use the box the card came in, place the block on it with the bottom facing up and on the edge in a way the i/o bracket has room to fit over the edge, line the card up and pop on the screws, not rocket science.

Soldato
Just had notification that my Alphacool block has been dispatched. It still shows pre-order on the site though.
I spoke to Alphacool on their facebook page, they said retailers would be getting more stock in about a week. Either that has come in early, or they actually have stock they're not showing.
If you want some detailed photos putting up when i get it, then let me know. I wont have a card to install in on though.
Yeah please mate if you have time, would love an in depth look at the block to see if it will suit my needs. Manufacturer pictures always make it look better than it actually is. Let us know when you get it and also what the quality is like. Distance between the inlet and outlet etc and dimensions would be great.

It's good to be well prepared for these things but you are definitely making it way harder than it actually is! I must have fitted over 10 blocks in the past few years and its never that difficult in aligning it up.

Soldato
Not what is hard about cutting up some cotton buds to help anyone trying to overcome the apprehension of losing their virginity on their first gpu block, but whatever.

Associate
Not what is hard about cutting up some cotton buds to help anyone trying to overcome the apprehension of losing their virginity on their first gpu block, but whatever.
Sorry, I feel a bit harsh now. It's a good tip if you struggle, thanks for the suggestion. But hopefully it won't be needed.

Soldato
Who remembers moveable standoffs before they were routinely milled into the blocks. Now you're talking fiddly!

Soldato
Sorry, I feel a bit harsh now. It's a good tip if you struggle, thanks for the suggestion. But hopefully it won't be needed.

No worries mate, it was a little tip aimed squarely at those doing it for the first time whose main worry stopping them going watercooled was the thought of lining things up. I still do it anyway as it is pretty foolproof.

Soldato
Been redoing my loop, managed to get 2 x 120 FLT with D5 pumps and a few spare D5's and DDC's just incase. I just wish i had the card to plumb it all in together :(

VI4Uqk9.jpg

9HTGQFL.jpg

Y9bNKGV.jpg

8Y8y178.jpg

4XJRwmQ.jpg

Soldato
Ah yes forgot the thermal paste holding method, I did later use that after reading about it.before it was 'you shall not move' while waving index and middle finger held together in front of the standoffs

Soldato
Ah yes forgot the thermal paste holding method, I did later use that after reading about it.before it was 'you shall not move' while waving index and middle finger held together in front of the standoffs
This is exactly me lol, this is proven to work and has done for many years :D

Associate
In the end, I've got Strix on preorder and block for it on preorder from EK. It's more than I expected to pay but I think it might be more fun to play with more powerful card. I don't want to just watercool it :p I hope there will be some tweaking left for this combo.

Soldato
In the end, I've got Strix on preorder and block for it on preorder from EK. It's more than I expected to pay but I think it might be more fun to play with more powerful card. I don't want to just watercool it :p I hope there will be some tweaking left for this combo.
Can relate, seems headroom is minimal hoping a good card (FTW3) to will let me capitalise on my loop.

I think it's a triple slot cooler though it might be quite impressive on air?!

Associate
Can relate, seems headroom is minimal hoping a good card (FTW3) to will let me capitalise on my loop.

I think it's a triple slot cooler though it might be quite impressive on air?!
Even TUF is impressive already to me, 60C for this power hungry card? Brilliant imo.

But at the same time I think (hope) that if you shave off 10-15C, you will get higher average clocks+higher power limit will allow to push it even further. Something like current CPUs, so WC might give higher performance even if you don't OC.

Waiting for some decent WC/air comparison of the same card. Of course not expecting magic:rolleyes: but if you get 10% overall higher performance than standard card, I think it will give more benefit than extra memory (which will be more expensive).

Back
Top Bottom