• Series S

Votes: 105 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 25.9%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
we're all a little in the dark about how the differences will play out in the real world.

Indeed.

We don't even know exactly what "variable frequency" means with PS5, or how that will play out in practice. Way too soon to judge the relative performance of the two systems.

Caporegime
OP
It will definitely be cheaper overall getting it upfront as there are always deals/good prices on gamepass codes. With all access you are tied into paying full price for the gamepass for 2 years effectively.

Or you could just use the All Access monthly payments to get the Xbox and then buy the PS5 outright (or non-Game Pass Xbox games) with the money you aren't immediately spending on the Xbox. :p

Associate
If it's from Xbox Game Studios, it'll be on Game Pass from release day.

Few games from other publishers have gone straight to Game Pass (there are exceptions, like Wargroove and Crusader Kings 3). Instead, it's mostly games that have been out for 12m+. You aren't likely to see games like Valhalla or Legion on there any time soon.

OK cheers. Looks like I'll buy console and games outright and leave the gamepass for now.

Soldato
How is a faster SSD going to help with game performance, beyond load times?
If you're interested, watch Mark Cerney's tech talk, he goes into a lot of detail about the SSD and the benefits it brings.

Obviously, load times. But also:

Direct streaming of assets, RAM only has to hold a second or twos worth of game assets, rather than 30 seconds like the previous gen.
Zero seek times, so no pop in and ability to load bigger textures instantly.
No duplication of assets (needed on HDD due to the slow seek times) so smaller game sizes.
Level design will no longer need sections that allow the next area to be loaded.

A lot of this will apply to both consoles.

Soldato
Hmm well it is though its not on par with xbox so underpowered id say?
Forget the hardware specs - when are Microsoft going to start showing games running on the new hardware !?! :p
Do they have any confirmed AAA games due for release before the end of 2021?

Associate
Forget the hardware specs - when are Microsoft going to start showing games running on the new hardware !?! :p
Do they have any confirmed AAA games due for release before the end of 2021?
No idea they have been active buying game studios though, Are we sure the ps5 will be running AAA game titles? cpu and gpu be throttling each other :p

Soldato
I see Very have some decent cashback rates through Quidco. Will probably just go with Amazon though, I believe they don't charge until its been posted.

Caporegime
Just had an email from Shopto advising to confirm pre order interest from 9:30am tomorrow, but that doesn't guarantee a day 1 console. Fair to say I wont be risking that and will be on at 8am furiously refreshing :p

Soldato
Hmm okay ta. Nothing in the Email about having to do anything else but will leave it open for now.

Edit:
*PLEASE BE AWARE THIS REGISTER IS YOUR INTEREST ONLY! Release date: 10/11/2020. £449.85.*

To register your interest please take into account the following points:
  1. Clicking "Register now" is not purchasing this console, this is just to register your interest and put a place holder.
  2. We will inform you as soon as a price has been confirmed, allowing you to make the decision whether you would like to keep or cancel.
  3. You will need to register a card however, we are not collecting any payment during this stage.

Soldato
PS5 is certainly not underpowered. It will have more next gen titles than xbox for at least a year. And it looks, well, yeah i agree there, pretty gross.

The issue for both consoles is beyond the numbers themselves. Multi platform games will be better on SX, the exclusives are personal preference. I can honestly say that none of my mates on PS actually play the exclusives, so they'd be better off on an Xbox for next gen.

Soldato
The issue for both consoles is beyond the numbers themselves. Multi platform games will be better on SX, the exclusives are personal preference. I can honestly say that none of my mates on PS actually play the exclusives, so they'd be better off on an Xbox for next gen.

id second this, seems for some reason Playstation owners are pretty much all blind loyal

Back
Top Bottom