• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why don't you guys just....wait a bit?

Associate
Apparently production for the 3080 only started in AUGUST :eek:!!!
No wonder there are shortages.

Yes, I heard that. The thing is everyone seems to have assumed this means the beginning of August, so are saying they've been making them for a month and a half - but what if they started production the end of August? They might have had 2 or 3 weeks of production.

Associate
Official FE no, but Gigabyte have already announced a 20 Gb model of their Eagle 3080 due to be released soon.

They have not announced it. Posting and pulling this is not an announcement:
_id1600561991_1406098.png

Associate
Half the scalpers haven’t even got a card. *confirmed pre-order* lol.

I wonder how many cards have been produced? The scalpers have got the blame for shortages but it seems to me that there is a huge demand (or at least a huge interest) and that Nvidia have only been in production a short time and have hamstrung 3rd party production

Soldato
Oh my goodness.
Why don't you guys just wait?

1 In a year or two prices would have reduced to the point were it's not more than a car.
2 The brand of card you want will more likely be in stock second hand for peanuts.
3 200GB 5080's might be announced.
4 AMD will reveal Extra Big Navi.
5 More long term reviews will be out on all the AIB cards. EG The Asus TUF is so fatr the best cooler out of all the ones tested.

Just relax guys.

Fixed that for you.

I'll see you all in 2025.

Soldato
You know Nvidia won't be making extra money out of inflated prices? Their prices are pretty much fixed with deals months ago with their 3rd party partners.

A retailer has apparently came out saying the prices were only designed to be at MSRP on launch stock, nvidia funded, so it appears their margins are actually going up if there is any truth in that and of course more sales = more profit, the shortage is making people pull the trigger, as like many things in life if something is considered hard to get then it makes more people want it.

If you think of the other way round where there is too much stock, then discounts would possibly be needed which brings margins down as well.

Soldato
Except that in very real and practical terms, Nvidia haven't dropped their pricing. You will never be able to get a Founders Edition, and any AIB model close to MSRP will be junk dies with cheap coolers. Those AIB models with decent dies and decent coolers will be a couple hundred quid above MSRP.

It's a great play by Nvidia, the loyalists and the stupid have fallen for the panic buying tactic once again, all because the 3080 is such "great value". It's beyond retarded.

Its positively genius, whoever their marketing guy is he deserves a fat pay rise and a promotion.

Associate
Its positively genius, whoever their marketing guy is he deserves a fat pay rise and a promotion.
I've been trying to figure out if Nvidia screwed up (because there's so much anger) or played a blinder (the new cards have been super hyped - no one is talking about big navi now). I'm now leaning towards the latter.

Soldato
It's been alleged this is a play by Uncle Leather Jacket himself. A deliberate tactic to limit supply of the Founders cards forcing consumers to buy AIB models that are considerably higher than MSRP. Nvidia win the perception of great value because the Founders are so "cheap" whilst still maintaining their ridiculous margins by forcing AIBs to raise their prices; they've allegedly requested a complete BOM from AIBs for each model and then dictated the 60% markup must be applied.

I can't directly link at work, but go to mooreslawisdead.com and grab the article he wrote on this a week or so before the 3080 launch.

Soldato
I've been trying to figure out if Nvidia screwed up (because there's so much anger) or played a blinder (the new cards have been super hyped - no one is talking about big navi now). I'm now leaning towards the latter.
This was not a screw up, this was intentional. I'd hardly say nobody is talking about Big Navi now though, if anything more people are talking about it because they've been forced into waiting months for a 3080 and now might as well wait and see what AMD bring to the table.

Nvidia have gone this route to try and steal AMD's thunder before Big Navi even arrives, I'd say all they done is leave a wide open goal. AMD have a great opportunity to smack Nvidia for this one, let's hope they take it.

Associate
There's no way the 3080s will remain as high as they are, the pounds strengthening, MSRPs 649, supply will outstrip demand before long etc, etc, and then there's AMD like you say, they're almost bound to weaken the price of the 3080s furthermore.

Sadly the pound is dropping against the Euro and Dollar.... and given we have our real Brexit soon I cannot see it getting much better.

Soldato
Sadly the pound is dropping against the Euro and Dollar.... and given we have our real Brexit soon I cannot see it getting much better.

Indeed. People are complaining about the long pre-order and the money going out now. However, they'll be complaining more when Brexit rolls round and the prices shoot up.

Associate
The there are a few reasons I am didnt wait to order:

1) I think it will not be possible to purchase a 3080 for £650 in the near future. I preordered, and am happy to wait for it
2) I am custom building a case for my computer (built into desk) and wish to put as high end hardware in there as I can, as it will be tricky to get at to upgrade it.
3) I don't believe AMD will offer anything that beats it, and if they do, I most likely will not have my 3080 yet, so can cancel.

Back
Top Bottom