• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3090 Reported To Be A Laughable 10% Faster Than 3080

Soldato
Making me second guess swapping out my cards now. Both overclock well to 2100 and so far that means 3080 are only 10% faster in some games and if the leaks about the 3090 is true, its only going to be 20% faster.

I was hoping for the 3090 to be 50% faster than a 2080ti to justify the £1500+~ spend.

3080 will be pretty much unobtainable before the new year, as the cards are 'cheap' and many can afford one. They can't make enough to satisfy demand.

IMO the 3090 will be the only guaranteed way to get a card before Christmas, as it's priced in a way to discourage the majority from purchasing one. Even if it's only 15-20% faster than a 3080, it will still mean you get a card, and have no worry about 10GB VRAM in 4k games this and next year.

IMO we'll see comparatively many more 3090's available compared to 3080, just because Nvidia make so much more profit out of the 3090.

Soldato
Do Asus offer extended warranties on gpus ? I can't find any info on that. Evga offer 5 or 10 year extensions and I have a evga 2080ti with a 10 year warranty. . What are Asus RMAs like , any good ?

Don't think they do. I know their RMA centre is UK based, think OCUK handle it for Asus customers as well.

I'll likely have a 4000 series card before the warranty runs out on the Asus card anyway, so I'm not too bothered.

Caporegime
3080 will be pretty much unobtainable before the new year, as the cards are 'cheap' and many can afford one. They can't make enough to satisfy demand.

IMO the 3090 will be the only guaranteed way to get a card before Christmas, as it's priced in a way to discourage the majority from purchasing one. Even if it's only 15-20% faster than a 3080, it will still mean you get a card, and have no worry about 10GB VRAM in 4k games this and next year.

IMO we'll see comparatively many more 3090's available compared to 3080, just because Nvidia make so much more profit out of the 3090.

Yeah but scarily Gibbo has said he wont be selling any 3090 at MSRP and I have already seen a retailer listing the EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3090 for £2,500.

Paying £1500 for the 3090 is one thing, having to pay £2000+ and I am out!

Associate
OP
Yeah but scarily Gibbo has said he wont be selling any 3090 at MSRP and I have already seen a retailer listing the EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3090 for £2,500.

If that's the case then (on condition the rtx 3090 is a minimum of 20% faster) I will just wait until the cards go back down to msrp.

Soldato
I don't think anyone cares tbh, as we all know its not really for gaming. :p

You don't think anyone cares about the 3090? Most people who aren't getting one will probably say that, sounds childish to me!

Even if it's only 15% faster than a 3080, it will still be the fastest gaming card out. More importantly, perhaps it will be the only 3000 series you can actually get before Christmas? Every man and his dog will be after the good value 3080, good luck getting one!

Soldato

Perhaps we'll have a better chance at the £1400 FE's this time, if the store is indeed using a token system, preventing the bots from abusing the API. Asus Strix 3090 is currently £1589 on OCUK, so already above MSRP, doubt it will go much above £1700 on launch day, we'll see :p

Caporegime
Perhaps we'll have a better chance at the £1400 FE's this time, if the store is indeed using a token system, preventing the bots from abusing the API. Asus Strix 3090 is currently £1589 on OCUK, so already above MSRP, doubt it will go much above £1700 on launch day, we'll see :p

I will put money on the strix being £1700+ by launch day sadly.

And i am put off by the FE for the 3090. Its a great design and cooler but the 3090 Fe only has 2 8 pin power connectors and is limited to 370W, the same as the 3080.

Which is why i think its performing so bad in that leaked benchmarks,. The 3090 is only boosting to 1740 whereas the 3080 is boosting to 1945. If thats linear then there is 11% of performance lost by them not running at the same clocks.

This may be because they are running a 3090 FE and its power gimped.

So I would really want a 3090 that can boost to 1950+ otherwise I may as well buy a high boosting 3080 and get similar performance,.

Associate
It's literally the price of the extra ram, and like 15% extra cuda cores. It's barely going to be worth it unless you specifically need the VRAM, so if you're doing certain professional workloads or you want to play games at 8K.

I would buy the 3090 if it were a good 30% faster in games because I want to play at 4K but the benches look like it's nowhere close to that.

Soldato

So what we're saying here is that every price that's listed within the overclockers selling page is actually false advertsiing then? As they're currently showing £1,399

Caporegime
So what we're saying here is that every price that's listed within the overclockers selling page is actually false advertsiing then? As they're currently showing £1,399

Not false but Gibbo has said they are all just placeholder prices, like the 3080 were and they all went up as we got close to launch day and then even went up during the afternoon as people bought them. I dont think there is a single 3080 at the original price they were put up at a couple of weeks ago.

This time Gibbo says hes not going to have a repeat of that where they try and sell a few cards at one price and then increase them as people are then buying from the next more expensive batch and he is going to put the price up to the highest price in any batch before they go on sale so there is no risk at ocuk losing money. So yeah they will just make more money and we wont be able to buy any cards at MSRP, well not from ocuk anyway.

But sadly ocuk is likely to have the most stock again or the shortest pre order time so you take your choices,.

Soldato
Not false but Gibbo has said they are all just placeholder prices, like the 3080 were and they all went up as we got close to launch day and then even went up during the afternoon as people bought them. I dont think there is a single 3080 at the original price they were put up at a couple of weeks ago.

This time Gibbo says hes not going to have a repeat of that where they try and sell a few cards at one price and then increase them as people are then buying from the next more expensive batch and he is going to put the price up to the highest price in any batch before they go on sale so there is no risk at ocuk losing money. So yeah they will just make more money and we wont be able to buy any cards at MSRP, well not from ocuk anyway.

But sadly ocuk is likely to have the most stock again or the shortest pre order time so you take your choices,.
Wow... didnt' know that i feel as though i should comment, but i'm afraid id be banned so i'll keep my mouth shutm, that just doesn't feel right to me. Hey ho, I don't own a company in that sense so... what do I know, I know one thing, they'd lose custom...

Back
Top Bottom