• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
I still feel that the A.I./DLSS is just an excuse for Nvidia to flog compute cards to gamers. If AMD takes the performance crown/handily beats NVidia, I would not be surprised if they drop Tensor cores like a rock and just pack the chips with more transistors that directly contribute to raster performance.

If they can get DLSS into more games then the difference between "DLSS" and "native" becomes meaningless, and the chip real-estate for raster+tensor seems to be less than for "much more raster".

If AMD takes the perfomance crown I'll eat my hat*, shortly before buying an AMD card...

* after commissioning a new hat, made of cake

Permabanned
433692000.jpg

Water block :D

Soldato
If they can get DLSS into more games then the difference between "DLSS" and "native" becomes meaningless, and the chip real-estate for raster+tensor seems to be less than for "much more raster".

If AMD takes the perfomance crown I'll eat my hat*, shortly before buying an AMD card...

* after commissioning a new hat, made of cake
DLSS is trained on a per game basis, by Nvidia's super computer. A super computer that they will want to use for other more important research tasks or they may even rent out to external researchers. Considering the costs invovled (cost of the machine and the electricity bills) I don't see DLSS making it into a significant proportion of games using the current method of implementation. It is way too costly for Nvidia to implement it per game to please a bunch of gamers who paid a measly £1200 for a GPU.

Associate
DLSS is trained on a per game basis, by Nvidia's super computer. A super computer that they will want to use for other more important research tasks or they may even rent out to external researchers. Considering the costs invovled (cost of the machine and the electricity bills) I don't see DLSS making it into a significant proportion of games using the current method of implementation. It is way too costly for Nvidia to implement it per game to please a bunch of gamers who paid a measly £1200 for a GPU.

If they're banking on their sales being based on DLSS capability, I would presume this "super-computer" will be dedicated to the task.

DO you have real cost data or are you just guessing?

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I've seen a few people try to suggest that with the architecture changes and extra Cuda cores, that current games are unable to take full advantage of Ampere, but future games will and so Ampere will age like fine wine.

Is there any truth to this or is it just polony?

You should ask in the AMD thread. They’re experts on fine wine.

Soldato
If they're banking on their sales being based on DLSS capability, I would presume this "super-computer" will be dedicated to the task.

DO you have real cost data or are you just guessing?
No i don't know exactly how much Nvidia's supercomputer cost to run. What i do know that in general a supercomputer are expensive to run. There is the electricity bill, cooling bill, the cost of land, the manpower to maintain the equipment. There is also the cost of the computer itself.

If it was quick/cheap to stick DLSS in games we would have it in more games by now. My assumption is that they are working it in around more significant projects. Which is why we have a handful of games with DLSS after 2 years.

If they are going to put it in a significant number of games they would probably want to build a dedicated super computer to train dlss on.

Soldato
Anyone in this thread want me to test anything out on the 3080?

It seems some of them launch benchmarks were often cherry picked games from people under strict NDA.

Back
Top Bottom