• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3090 Reported To Be A Laughable 10% Faster Than 3080

Caporegime
Wow... didnt' know that i feel as though i should comment, but i'm afraid id be banned so i'll keep my mouth shutm, that just doesn't feel right to me. Hey ho, I don't own a company in that sense so... what do I know, I know one thing, they'd lose custom...

Its not so much ocuk fault either as clearly with the 3080 cards, as they became in short supply, the manufacturers (or intermeditories) put their prices up for future batches.

I can imagine it went it like this,

Givbbo secures a batch of 50 cards from Asus at £600 and plans to sell at MSRP at £649. As demand increases round the world, Asus then wants £640 for the second batch due to land a few days after the first. Asus says they can sell them 100 times over to any other retailer so Gibbo either wants them or doesnt? So Gibbo buys them

So plan is for the first 50 cards to sell at MSRP and then once sold out, the next 50 people get charged £689 etc. But that got people mad as prices changed from basket to payment screen.

So this time Gibbo has some 3090 he has only paid the right price to sell them at MRSP on launch day but the next batch are already more money so he is going to sell them all at the second price so people dont complain at price increases during checkout,.

Caporegime
3080 will be pretty much unobtainable before the new year, as the cards are 'cheap' and many can afford one. They can't make enough to satisfy demand.

IMO the 3090 will be the only guaranteed way to get a card before Christmas, as it's priced in a way to discourage the majority from purchasing one. Even if it's only 15-20% faster than a 3080, it will still mean you get a card, and have no worry about 10GB VRAM in 4k games this and next year.

IMO we'll see comparatively many more 3090's available compared to 3080, just because Nvidia make so much more profit out of the 3090.

It may be the fastest card for gaming, even if its is only around a paltry 10% faster than the 3080, but lets be honest, its not really for gaming, its more for productivity.

Associate
I don't believe that is how it works ! OC UK will have in place with all these suppliers a set discount RATE they get across the board on products. in fact generally speaking the more they order the better discount rate they get generally speaking ! My Guess is OC UK are paying around 20% to 30% Less RRP on these cards than we are so that's 20 to 30% Profit for them before they have even sold the card.... I don't believe MSI & ASUS will charge more because of demand........ to the dealer...

Its fair to say MSI and ASUS will give different rates. My guess is by going by the prices OC don't get such a great rate with MSI as they do ASUS.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Not false but Gibbo has said they are all just placeholder prices, like the 3080 were and they all went up as we got close to launch day and then even went up during the afternoon as people bought them. I dont think there is a single 3080 at the original price they were put up at a couple of weeks ago.

This time Gibbo says hes not going to have a repeat of that where they try and sell a few cards at one price and then increase them as people are then buying from the next more expensive batch and he is going to put the price up to the highest price in any batch before they go on sale so there is no risk at ocuk losing money. So yeah they will just make more money and we wont be able to buy any cards at MSRP, well not from ocuk anyway.

But sadly ocuk is likely to have the most stock again or the shortest pre order time so you take your choices,.

Hahaha. Justification for putting the prices up ahead of release.

I’m sure that works out well for OCUK, not sure about mere consumers though!

Soldato
Everybody please believe these dodgy benchmarks and don't buy a 3090 on launch day.

Hopefully if people do the above I will be able to snap up a 3090 without having to fight off swarms of bots.:D
You do realise that the group who leaked these "dodgy" 3090 benchmarks are the same ones who leaked the 3080 ones that proved to be 100% legit right?

Caporegime
You do realise that the group who leaked these "dodgy" 3090 benchmarks are the same ones who leaked the 3080 ones that proved to be 100% legit right?

But for some reason their 3090 is only boosting to low 1700 and they are comparing it to a 3080 boosting to 1950.

So their results may be valid at those settings as the 3080 is running 11% faster.

The big question is why is the 3090 only boosting to low 1700s?

Is that the same with all 3090 FE because they only have the same 370W as the 3080 or is this going to be the same on AIB cards with three 8 pin power conenctors.

If "you can" get a 3090 boosting to the same 1950Mhz then the results would show a 20% performance increase as expected.

Associate
If 3090 is 20% in 4K I may be tempted. Deciding factor would be how it held its value compared to 3080. Unfortunately I know this is something that would be extremely difficult to calculate

Caporegime
If 3090 is 20% in 4K I may be tempted. Deciding factor would be how it held its value compared to 3080. Unfortunately I know this is something that would be extremely difficult to calculate

It'll hold it's value until there is something better and then it will tank

Like all GPU prices.

Associate
There's a reason Nvidia refer to the 3080 as the flagship card. The 3090 is not really a gaming card and the 24GB of vram should indicate this. Unless you are doing big 3d renders and such you just don't need this card.

It's a truck, yes it's a lot more powerful than your car, but it's not really built for the average user.

Soldato
That isn't nvidia though... Its ocuk

Of course its Nvidia they only gave the green light to start manufacturing AIO's in August they knew they'd be in short supply heck manufacturers didn't even get drivers until after the reviewers according to GN they didn't even know how much they were going to retail for until the Nvidia presentation they found out when we did, stock's in short supply so up go the prices -> Nvidia rakes it in. They could have built up stocks and shipped long before launch but its not in Nvidia's interest to do so they knew retailers/manufacturers would get the blame and guess what; Nvidia gets a free pass as they always do.

Soldato
Of course its Nvidia they only gave the green light to start manufacturing AIO's in August they knew they'd be in short supply heck manufacturers didn't even get drivers until after the reviewers according to GN they didn't even know how much they were going to retail for until the Nvidia presentation they found out when we did, stock's in short supply so up go the prices -> Nvidia rakes it in. They could have built up stocks and shipped long before launch but its not in Nvidia's interest to do so they knew retailers/manufacturers get the blame and guess what; Nvidia gets a free pass as they always do.

No.
It's 100% retailers.

They can keep the price NV set out and still make money.
But no, Some put the price as much as £100 a day.

While some stay at the price and gain customers.

Back
Top Bottom