Spec me a router

Soldato
Hi all. After seemingly getting 2 poor quality vdsl routers in a row from Sky I'm going to buy one from the shop. Can anyone suggest something which will be better specced than the big standard ISP model? Hoping for something under £60 if possible. Thanks.

Soldato
A six year old design that only supports 300Mbps 2.4GHz Wireless-N? Unlikely to be an upgrade from any current ISP supplied router.

I still use the older the 7800N at home. I use the 8800N at work. They're both miles better than any ISP router I've used. They're rock solid, decent throughput, coverage and very configurable.

I know both the sky and the bt routers. I have to mess with them at my respective parents houses. I also know the talk talk one too.

Soldato
OP
In what way? What's the problem with the Sky supplied routers you're wanting to address?

Very unlikely for anything worth having.

Had some issues with connection speed tailing off to less than 1 mb per second, ISP sky tested the line,confirmed no faults and sent out a new router, same thing happened, BT engineer came round and confirmed excellent signal down the line with no problems for some time, and he also mentioned the bog standard sky router was rubbish, but he's not allowed to test sky hardware.

I figured if I got a half decent aftermarket router it might solve the problem, and improve WiFi range, which admittedly isn't bad, but a router with aerials sticking up out of it makes me feel better :)

Associate
Associate
Hi all. After seemingly getting 2 poor quality vdsl routers in a row from Sky I'm going to buy one from the shop. Can anyone suggest something which will be better specced than the big standard ISP model? Hoping for something under £60 if possible. Thanks.

Have you confirmed that you would be able to use a self-purchased router on a Sky broadband connection? The reason I ask is that when I was on Sky BB, my router failed and it took them 4 days to ship a replacement. They said I couldn't use my own kit as each router was mac-locked to the connection.

Soldato
They're much more relaxed about it nowadays.

You do have to check that the router you choose is compatible. They don't use completely standard PPPoE connections which means many routers won't be able to connect. Google 'sky dhcp option 61'.

Associate
They're much more relaxed about it nowadays.

You do have to check that the router you choose is compatible. They don't use completely standard PPPoE connections which means many routers won't be able to connect. Google 'sky dhcp option 61'.

Fair enough. I've been on Virgin Media for a while now, but I thought it may be valuable to sound that note of caution

Soldato
OP
Have you confirmed that you would be able to use a self-purchased router on a Sky broadband connection? The reason I ask is that when I was on Sky BB, my router failed and it took them 4 days to ship a replacement. They said I couldn't use my own kit as each router was mac-locked to the connection.

Very good point which I hadn't considered, thanks for raising.

Back
Top Bottom