• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who's waiting for the 3090 and which brand are you getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
FFS why are Overclockers constantly upping the price of the 3090? Sure, "because people will pay it." - but it's still frustratingly annoying.

You're right it's very frustrating but at the same time they are in a somewhat unenviable situation where they know they can't get anywhere enough stock to supply the demand and they are working with a wildly fluctuating currency exchange to bring these in for us over a staggered launch window of several months. There has to be enough margin of error in those prices to protect them from a massive drop in the pound from lets say a no deal brexit announcement or Donald Trump announcing he's moving to the UK, and lets face it those aren't even the craziest possibilities out there at the moment.

As we get closer to the actual launch and they finally start to get product in hand they can accurately calculate their costs and plan accordingly. I do agree that regarless of what they charge they will most likely sell out but I don't see quite the same level of profiteering or skullduggery as some on this issue.

Soldato
Is there anywhere with better pictures of the Gigabyte Aorus cards? The Gigabyte website is useless and OcUK only has one picture.

Associate
I've been saving since my GTX 1070, but now I'm just plain confused.

The price tag and reported performance increase is just debilitating. Even if 20% is possible over the 3080, the TI will release and just close the gap anyway.

Won't even attempt an FE, but anyone any idea what the delivery impact is when going for say an Aurous or ROG card.

Anyone with experience from the 3080?

Caporegime
Auros and ROG tend to be behind standard boards in manufacturing so I would always expect a delay if going for one of them

I think Asus had just announced their first strix rog 3080s will be going out at the end of September so that was a two week delay.

Associate
Bloody heck.

Here I am ready to part with almost £1.5k and I'm no clearer if a 3090 is anywhere near better to legitimise the cash, other than the fact its most likely not.

As a purchaser I shouldn't be confused right now, I should just be pulling the trigger feeling chuffed about it.

Associate
Here I am ready to part with almost £1.5k and I'm no clearer if a 3090 is anywhere near better to legitimise the cash, other than the fact its most likely not.

I'm of the firm opinion that the 3090 only exists to make the 3080 look affordable and sell like hot cakes (it's working, we're here after all), and that the 3090 just doesn't offer any tangible benefits for gaming vs what it costs. It's absolutely terrible value for money.

Associate
Bloody heck.

As a purchaser I shouldn't be confused right now, I should just be pulling the trigger feeling chuffed about it.

Nvidia's game plan is precisely to put customers like you in this situation so you buy based on hype and decision-fatigue than actually making an informed decision. Wait for the benchmarks.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
You're right it's very frustrating but at the same time they are in a somewhat unenviable situation where they know they can't get anywhere enough stock to supply the demand and they are working with a wildly fluctuating currency exchange to bring these in for us over a staggered launch window of several months. There has to be enough margin of error in those prices to protect them from a massive drop in the pound from lets say a no deal brexit announcement or Donald Trump announcing he's moving to the UK, and lets face it those aren't even the craziest possibilities out there at the moment.

As we get closer to the actual launch and they finally start to get product in hand they can accurately calculate their costs and plan accordingly. I do agree that regarless of what they charge they will most likely sell out but I don't see quite the same level of profiteering or skullduggery as some on this issue.

Get your point but selling £650 cards for >£900 smells a bit more than just currency fluctuations IMO.

Associate
Nvidia's game plan is precisely to put customers like you in this situation so you buy based on hype and decision-fatigue than actually making an informed decision. Wait

Is there an expectation for legitimate 3090 benchmarks though?

Trying to dive into my research here, but getting put on spin cycle.

Surely at double the cost Nvidia cant validate a 5 FPS gain on avg... thats nuts

Associate
I'm of the firm opinion that the 3090 only exists to make the 3080 look affordable and sell like hot cakes (it's working, we're here after all), and that the 3090 just doesn't offer any tangible benefits for gaming vs what it costs. It's absolutely terrible value for money.

Be interesting to see how the factory OC 3090s perform vs the leaked FE but yeah they're only really for anything that uses CUDA in their work flow.

Soldato
Soldato
Watch this magic trick I am about to do...ahem

Take 3090, give it 10Gb VRAM.

Think of it as the 2080 Ti placeholder from last gen.

You're welcome.

Associate
My thoughts exactly.

Associate
Hypothetical right now: If price was irrelevant.

The 3080 20gb will release later. And that beats the 3080 10gb. Puts it much closer to the 3090 at a better price point.

But there no telling when that will act come out.

Whilst if the 3080 cards still don't have NVLink well then longterm the 3090 still performs better. Even if NVLink gains are minor.

Even better an OC'd 3090 on launch.

Just from a pure performance perspective is my thinking sound there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom