PoE Switch advice (60w Vs 123w)

Associate
Hi!

We're moving house soon and I'm planning to install a future proof home network. I've not actually bought anything yet but I'm looking at a Netgear switch (GS108LP) which has PoE options of 60w and 123w).

The key here is to build something that's future proof and I plan to add a wifi extender/access point in the back conservatory and a front/back security cam but also don't want to be using loads of energy.

Will 60w be ok or should I spend the extra on the 123w?

Soldato
Why netgear? The rated output is not indicative of what the switch actually uses, it will only ever supply the power drawn by the PoE devices connected to it. So choose your cameras and AP’s, make sure they all support the same standard of the switch, add up the stated power usage, add 20% to the total and that will tell you the output you need to purchase.

Associate
OP
Netgear simply because I've never had a problem with them - I still have some Netgear stuff from years and years ago and it still works fine. That said, I'm fine switching to a better product.

I don't think I'll be able to pick the cameras/access points until later. Part 1 of my plan was getting the basic network running around the house (study/living room) and then access point - most likely the cameras will be quite a while later.

Soldato
Do you k or how many cameras/AP’s you will use? Generally PoE cameras and AP’s will all operate within a similar power envelope.

Associate
OP
A single access point and 2 to 3 cameras, can't be sure until we've moved in and worked out how to cover the property access points.

Soldato
Well your switch supports both at and af, and the maximum draw you’re likely to see on the newer Unifi HD’s (at) is 20w, so 60w should be more than adequate for 2 cameras and a single AP, especially if they are af rather than at, but without knowing what cameras you are looking at, it’s still guess work at this stage.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
My juniper switch shows the following for my AP's
Cisco AIR-CAP3502I - 9W (port max of 15.4W)
D-Link DAP-2695 - 5.5W (port max of 30W)

Back
Top Bottom