• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Historically that's not been the case (the 3080 FE is well engineered but still found wanting) but you never know. It's good to see AMD try something different, even if it's taken too long.

Would hardly call the fe cooler "wanting", it runs quiet and the third party cards with their premium for the most part don't perform any better vs the cost.

Permabanned
Big Navi VRAM specs leak: 16GB Navi 21 and 12GB Navi 22 go head to head with GeForce RTX 3080 and RTX 3090
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Big-N...h-GeForce-RTX-3080-and-RTX-3090.494835.0.html

Tipster @_rogame recently revealed VRAM specs for two upcoming AMD Big Navi GPUs. The Navi 21 GPU is set to feature 16GB of VRAM, while Navi 22 sports 12GB. These numbers are interesting since both SKUs appear to beat NVIDIA's Ampere GeForce RTX 3080 in terms of memory capacity.

An earlier leak by Gamer Meld claimed that the flagship Big Navi GPU would be named the RX 6900XT and that this flagship part would beat the GeForce RTX 3090, at least in certain gaming workloads. This rumor has yet to be confirmed or backed up by benchmarks.

However, the recent VRAM spec leak indicates that, at least on the video memory front, Big Navi GPUs will enjoy a considerable advantage over the GeForce RTX 3080. With 20GB variants of the GeForce RTX 3080 planned, however, this advantage could evaporate before Big Navi cards make it to market.

https://twitter.com/gamermeld

Caporegime
I said it before, the problem AMD have with a release this long, 3 moths? After Nvidia is no matter how good they are whose going to buy them? sure some people are waiting, the vast majority of people are making their GPU upgrades now, they are not waiting 3 months.

Tell that to the 20,000 zotac buyers who used Amazon in Germany and they are getting delivering dates of 21st January 2021

Permabanned
so you're now posting someone else reposting what you have already posted on here. smooooooth.

I hadn't noticed a Tweet stating that the Big Navi will be faster than RTX 3090, nor I had posted it before.

Now, this is something else, people should start cancelling their RTX 3080 10GB orders lol

Soldato
That's the pre-order figures for one card manufactured by one AIB from Amazon in Germany. That Zotac card probably wouldn't have the most popular choice. How many pre-orders would there have been for EVGA, ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte cards if the Zotac card got 20,000.

And that's just from one site in one country. Now add in all the other Online stores and Retails stores in Germany and include every brand of card. How many orders are you looking at? Now expand that out to include more Countries, like the USA, Canada, The UK, China, Denmark, Sweden, France, Spain, Italy etc. etc.

Well, you get the idea. There could have been millions of Pre-orders and all for one make of card from Nvidia, the 3080.

It just shows how big the demand is at the moment for new cards. I wonder was there ever such a demand for $699 card before?

Actually that card was ordered by people across Europe including the UK (can't point to the website but discussed there in detail with the assumption that all orders would be cancelled). Amazon had put an incorrect stock number against it and so it didn't go out of stock when it should have. Regular customer services could see the stupid stock number but were unable to do anything about it.

So I'm not surprised it reached 20,000. It isn't representative of a single card in one market. It is representative of one of the only places taking pre-orders of a 3080 across the whole of Europe on that day.

Associate
The thing is.. If Nvidia and their partners cant get cards in peoples hands before mid Jan 2021, and AMD release with stock prior to that, and are competitive, Nvidia will lose a ton of pre orders as people switch over.

Their paper launch is a gamble, some people are die hard and will hold out regardless, some people jyst want the raster performance and dont care who brings it, and some just wont want to wait with games like Cyberpunk 2077 coming.

Nvidia have taken a huge gamble by blinking first, AMD can effectively pull their pants down here, and Nvidias 20gb backup cards may not save them if people are still waiting on 10gb stock and just switch.

Nvidias greed has probably caught them out this tine, they should have just released the larger ram versions to start with.

AMD have a once in a generation opportunity to pull down Nvidias pants and give them a spanking, but history tells us AMD often fall short when given these opportunities.

Lets hope some of the Zen magic has rubbed off on the GPU division.

Something tells me, their utter silence this time round is speaking volumes, they have something special coming.

Associate
It wont have taken too long if they have some available when they announce. Its not like we have just witnessed an abomination where people are now waiting 6+ weeks after ordering..

What I meant was it took too long to move away from a blower cooler, not that the card itself is taking too long. I'd encourage most to wait and see what AMD bring before jumping on a 3080. Particularly with the stock shortages right now we'll likely know a lot more about the 6000 series performance before 3080's are readily available.

Would hardly call the fe cooler "wanting", it runs quiet and the third party cards with their premium for the most part don't perform any better vs the cost.

The cooler's still outperformed by basic AIB models, the Asus TUF in particular (which was listed at the same price as the FE prior to launch) being 15°c cooler under load at the same volume.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-3080-tuf-gaming-oc/31.html

All the AIB models outperform the FE there. Not that I'm stating the FE cooler is bad, it's a very good reference cooler for such a power hungry chip. Looks great too.

Soldato
5700xt is quite small and not very power efficient. Make it bigger, increase the power efficiency and yes, you can get close to that 78%.

LE: 5700xt is 251mm while rtx3080 is 628mm.
Not power efficient? MMmmm, mine pulls on maximum overclocks 192W... Series 3000 granted is twice as quick but it pulling 380W when overclocked... so, no I believe that the 5700XT IS actually pretty darn efficient considering... standard mine never goes about 170W!

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Not power efficient? MMmmm, mine pulls on maximum overclocks 192W... Series 3000 granted is twice as quick but it pulling 380W when overclocked... so, no I believe that the 5700W is actually pretty darn efficient considering... standard mine never goes about 170W!

They are the go to cards for mining ETH right now. You may think whats he on about? but its a statement of fact 55Mh/s for 120w is insanely good. By comparison a 2080 gets 42Mh/s for 150w so I would think that makes it pretty efficient.

Associate
They are the go to cards for mining ETH right now. You may think whats he on about? but its a statement of fact 55Mh/s for 120w is insanely good. By comparison a 2080 gets 42Mh/s for 150w so I would think that makes it pretty efficient.
I have 6 x 5600xt at 40mhs each at 88w each... So yeah AMD cards are efficient

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom