Installed 64 bit Win10 by mistake. Should I install 32 bit instead?

Associate
I installed Win10 recently on an old netbook (yep one of the old 2gb Atom's!) and it runs about as well as I'd/you'd expect.. Which is actually to say, not bad really considering! It's only intended to be a back up machine and is handy to have around.

Anyway, I forgot that the Win10 boot usb was 64 bit. Is it worth going through the whole thing again and putting win10 32 bit on? Would it be noticeably faster in some way? As I said it already runs pretty much how I would expect so I'd be surprised if it were to run faster but I've no idea.

If anyone knows if it's worth putting on the 32 bit ver I'd appreciate it.

Caporegime
pretty sure win10 wouldnt have installed and booted in 64bit if your cpu was so old it only supports 32bit which would be stupidly old

The Pentium-4 2.8GHz released in Novermber of 2002 was the last desktop 32-bit CPU

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies everyone. I took it for granted that the Atom was 32 bit but I found this which says otherwise. Amazing really.

Anyway, I'll leave it on 64 bit. It does run surprisingly well for a 10 year old netbook.

Soldato
64-bit will actually use a little more memory and storage than 32-bit. So I would argue that yes there is a small loss in performance, particularly when the laptop only has 2GB of RAM.

If you want to test the above yourself, compare fresh installations of the two on a virtual machine. Before you even start installing, you can see the increase in ISO file sizes - 64-bit being around 1.4x the size of 32-bit.

Back
Top Bottom