• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ampere... what a disastrous launch!

Not placing any blame on OCUK, just want to get this off my chest.

I have never known such a botched launch of a product where there is next to no stock available anywhere!
And I don't really buy the 'unprecedented demand' crap coming from NVIDIA either, as I think they were well aware the demand would be high.
They say it was not a paper launch but it certainly feels that way to me and many others waiting for pre-orders to be filled with no indication of when that will be.
I just think they wanted to get out the door first regardless if they were ready or not and secure the orders before the AMD launch.

/rant over

Soldato
Part of the problem is we are seeing pent up demand from two generations of people upgrading, those that skipped Turing and those that upgrade every generation.

Soldato
It was obviously a paper launch when almost a week after sales went live, you can count on one pair of hands how many 3080s I’ve seen in customer’s hands.

Nvidia have been absolute shambolic in how they’ve dealt with this 3000 series launch. 3090 is expected to be worse this week, Gibbo said he has single digit stock numbers on models. How’s that anything but a paper launch?

The best thing Nvidia could’ve done, is just allow pre-orders last week only. Then start shipping cards from 1st October or similar. At least AIBs and retailers would have another 2 weeks to manufacture and supply the chain. Whilst also getting an idea for demand volume on pre-orders.

Soldato
There is/was no stock, end of story. The launch was 'fake news' having spoken with several suppliers they all basically said no stock in September to speak of 4+ weeks before any proper number are around and 3+ months to clear back orders if they remain at the level they are now.

Soldato
It was obviously a paper launch when almost a week after sales went live, you can count on one pair of hands how many 3080s I’ve seen in customer’s hands.

Nvidia have been absolute shambolic in how they’ve dealt with this 3000 series launch. 3090 is expected to be worse this week, Gibbo said he has single digit stock numbers on models. How’s that anything but a paper launch?

The best thing Nvidia could’ve done, is just allow pre-orders last week only. Then start shipping cards from 1st October or similar. At least AIBs and retailers would have another 2 weeks to manufacture and supply the chain. Whilst also getting an idea for demand volume on pre-orders.
Lol Gibbo will probably get thousands then and is trying to stoke a frenzy such as there will be for an overpriced card.
They're all in the same game , sell and make money, can't blame them tbh

Soldato
does anyone know what sort of production capacity both amd and nvidia have available atm. how many chips can they churn out per day?

Soldato
Lol Gibbo will probably get thousands then and is trying to stoke a frenzy such as there will be for an overpriced card.
They're all in the same game , sell and make money, can't blame them tbh

Nah, it's not in their interests at all for OcUK. They want stock in and out ASAP sold.

I'd completely believe 3090 stock is single digits - after seeing the 3080 cards are prob in single digits who have one that I've seen.

Associate
I really wish AMD would give an inclination of performance. I, like many others, are in a boat of the unknown right now. Sold previous card and now in a pre order queue with no concrete evidence of delivery. If AMD would show their hand I think it would ultimately result in many people jumping over to Big Navi... Assuming they can show they have performance to match, or come close to 3000 series.

Soldato
I really wish AMD would give an inclination of performance. I, like many others, are in a boat of the unknown right now. Sold previous card and now in a pre order queue with no concrete evidence of delivery. If AMD would show their hand I think it would ultimately result in many people jumping over to Big Navi... Assuming they can show they have performance to match, or come close to 3000 series.
Let's face it if it doesn't compete eventually it won't sell well.

Soldato
I have managed...

PS5 pre ordered at MRSP.
Xbox Series X pre ordered at MRSP

Nvidia and their scalper retailers can ram it! :)

Yeah I got my PS5 and 3080 at RRP too - happy days mate.

Screw the XBSX though, none of the games interest me that much! If they did I can just get Game Pass for a few quid a month. :D

Associate
Let's face it if it doesn't compete eventually it won't sell well.

They will always sell, but I am a sucker who always wants to be near the top of the performance tree. Really wish AMD would compete more at the top.

The world has gone mental just lately anyway. Literally just tried to look at XBOX pre orders. Not to buy, but to check. The pre order queue at currys webstore was 70k ahead of me, just to access the site! Its not just Nvidia that cannot keep up with demand and it shows that gaming itself has become an unstoppable monster. :eek:

Soldato
They will always sell, but I am a sucker who always wants to be near the top of the performance tree. Really wish AMD would compete more at the top.

The world has gone mental just lately anyway. Literally just tried to look at XBOX pre orders. Not to buy, but to check. The pre order queue at currys webstore was 70k ahead of me, just to access the site! Its not just Nvidia that cannot keep up with demand and it shows that gaming itself has become an unstoppable monster. :eek:
I wonder if it's something to do with covid restrictions, people having nothing else to do with their money.

Associate
There is no doubt there is demand for these GPUs.But it looks like they didn't actually make more than 1000. They've screwed over the AIBs, they've screwed over retailers and etailers and they've screwed over the customers with this one. Buys it's okay everyone will repeat for the 3090 and the 3070.

Associate

The xbox is an actual pre order though. The 3080 went on "sale" last week.

Soldato

Game website is fine, can get straight on it. Not interested in the XB anyway - PS5 and 3080 is enough for me :p

Lol just as I type this, F5'd Game and website is now down haha.

Back
Top Bottom