• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When are the RTX 3090 reviews out

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Some good news for the folks waiting for the 3090. This was taken from https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ix9zcg/early_msi_geforce_rtx_3090_gaming_x_trio/

To summarise:
  • Time Spy (graphics): 20569 vs 17645 (via arstechnica). 16.6% Increase
  • Time Spy Extreme (graphics): 10560 vs 8798 (via arstechnica). 20% Increase
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey (4K/Maxed): 71 vs 63 (via arstechinica) 12.7% Increase
  • Horizon Zero Dawn (4K/Ultimate Quality): 86 vs 73 (via techspot) 17.8% Increase
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider (4K/Maxed/DLSS/No RT): 112 vs 103 (via guru 3D) 8.7% Increase
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider (4K/Maxed/DLSS/RT): 82 vs 69 (via pcgamer) 18.8% Increase
So it looks like the Chinese leaks from the weekend were off by quite a margin (10% in some cases). :)
Lol. That is poor if all that extra money just gets you that.

Associate
Lol. That is poor if all that extra money just gets you that.

It's a perk for those who game I guess. My main intention for buying the card isn't for gaming, it's for compute power as I'm a software engineer and this should come in as an improvement over my existing Radeon VII, which was also very good with compute. If folks are only buying it for gaming, then that doesn't make the best cost vs performance argument, but there will always be those who want to have the latest and fastest at any expense.

Soldato
Some good news for the folks waiting for the 3090. This was taken from https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ix9zcg/early_msi_geforce_rtx_3090_gaming_x_trio/

To summarise:
  • Time Spy (graphics): 20569 vs 17645 (via arstechnica). 16.6% Increase
  • Time Spy Extreme (graphics): 10560 vs 8798 (via arstechnica). 20% Increase
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey (4K/Maxed): 71 vs 63 (via arstechinica) 12.7% Increase
  • Horizon Zero Dawn (4K/Ultimate Quality): 86 vs 73 (via techspot) 17.8% Increase
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider (4K/Maxed/DLSS/No RT): 112 vs 103 (via guru 3D) 8.7% Increase
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider (4K/Maxed/DLSS/RT): 82 vs 69 (via pcgamer) 18.8% Increase
So it looks like the Chinese leaks from the weekend were off by quite a margin (10% in some cases). :)

The Chinese leaks were on a stock 3090, this reddit user has admitted he has overclocked his 3090 so you are comparing a overclocked 3090 to a stock 3080 and still only seeing single digit improvements in some games - terrible, the 3090 is terrible for gaming - it's a Titan replacement

Associate
The Chinese leaks were on a stock 3090, this reddit user has admitted he has overclocked his 3090 so you are comparing a overclocked 3090 to a stock 3080 and still only seeing single digit improvements in some games - terrible, the 3090 is terrible for gaming - it's a Titan replacement

I believe the user on Reddit said that these results were without overclocking in one of the comments. I wouldn't say it's terrible for gaming, it might be terrible value for gaming, but that's not really the point of this card I guess.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It's a perk for those who game I guess. My main intention for buying the card isn't for gaming, it's for compute power as I'm a software engineer and this should come in as an improvement over my existing Radeon VII, which was also very good with compute. If folks are only buying it for gaming, then that doesn't make the best cost vs performance argument, but there will always be those who want to have the latest and fastest at any expense.
It’s a GeForce card though. People here will be buying it for gaming.

If buying it for work first and gaming as a bonus sure, makes sense. But most will buy for gaming and for that it is **** poor value, kind of like the 2080Ti was.

Man of Honour
Some dodgy benchmarks floating around for the 3090 but I quite like this one and thought I would post it.

I will be glad when the trusted reviews are available for the 3090 though.

As for the Bots, they won't stand a chance when hardcore miners see the cards performance.:D

Associate
Wonder why there is such a difference between 3080/3090? As on paper there is not much between them - is this all down to RAM?

Associate
As for the Bots, they won't stand a chance when hardcore miners see the cards performance.:D
Compared to 5700XT, I doubt many would buy a 3090 for mining. Now, those who are buying a 3090 might make some of their money back by mining, but that's a different thing.
Whattomine rates a 5700XT 51 @ 150W but a quick google shows people getting 61Mh/s at around 105W. The later is a slight bit unfair, as I'm sure there are optimisations which can be done (memory settings, undervolting, new mining software) for the 3090.
But with 5700XT starting at around £360, the only thing the 3090 has going for it is using less space.
Anyway the other thing whattomine.com shows is that 120Mh/s is around $4.5 per day before electricity. So even at $0.1 per KWh, that would a RoI of 18 months, by which time who knows where mining is in terms of profitability.

Soldato
I'll be buying purely for gaming... I don't get the hate, so what it's not a 50% increase? I like to have the top end stuff, and this will be top end.

Personally, I'm itching to buy one and hopefully EKWB release their block soon so I can get both on order.

Associate
I'll be buying purely for gaming... I don't get the hate, so what it's not a 50% increase? I like to have the top end stuff, and this will be top end.

Personally, I'm itching to buy one and hopefully EKWB release their block soon so I can get both on order.
Also if you are coming from a 2080 Ti it is a decent upgrade in performance expensive - yes but its the only really viable upgrade from a 2080Ti, the 3080 I don't think offers enough of a boost.

Soldato
Also if you are coming from a 2080 Ti it is a decent upgrade in performance expensive - yes but its the only really viable upgrade from a 2080Ti, the 3080 I don't think offers enough of a boost.

Indeed, and I am coming from a 2080 ti, whilst it's a great card, it's rein is done, some games at UW resolutions just can't run as smoothly as I'd like.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
In that scenario, I blame the consumer for any mislead purchasing.

At the end of the day they are still getting the fastest gaming card on earth with 24GB of the fastest RAM on earth. I don't see a problem.
There is no problem. People can buy what they want. Did my post suggest there was a problem?

I said it is **** poor value, which is true :D

Back
Top Bottom