TV Licence Super Thread

Caporegime
It's a shame you don't have 2020 figures.

2018/19 isn't that long ago.

Like to see new one for 2020, they have lost a lot due to the pensioners free license fiasco added to many have now found out about Netflix and Amazon Video during lockdown (older generation).

Do you have evidence the BBC lost a lot of viewers (not licence payers)?

I'm not registering on that site, so would you post the sources for that data please? For example, how many people were surveyed and in which parts of the country?

It looks like you have to pay $39/month to get any further information, I'm not that invested in the thread.

Soldato
BARB is where you should be getting this sort of data.

The entire BARB model is that they have a large enough data source (households who they measure), and the sources are representative of UK population. That is, they have the relevant amount of houses with one, two, three, four members, rich, poor, north, south, white British, other racial backgrounds etc etc etc.

So they can safely extrapolate conclusions from their data and project that onto estimations for the entire population. It's a pretty well established system. Funny that, TV companies need accurate data to measure success.

Permabanned
2018/19 isn't that long ago.

Do you have evidence the BBC lost a lot of viewers (not licence payers)?

It looks like you have to pay $39/month to get any further information, I'm not that invested in the thread.

Just the same figures you have seen if you read the papers/web pages, I assume these figures can be confirmed by the BBC if not already.

Soldato
Caporegime
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1...lions-licence-fee-payments-television-Netflix

Are you claiming that they've not lost actual viewers despite losing hundreds of thousands of licences?

I'm saying that not everyone who stopped paying the licence fee who watched the BBC will have stopped watching the BBC.

Also from that article:

Overall, the proportion of the country that watches BBC1 at least once a week fell from 68 percent to 65.4 percent.

Still nearly two thirds watching BBC One. MissChief was right.

Despite what you think, the majority still like and watch the BBC.

Soldato
Despite what you think, the majority still like and watch the BBC.

Some of the shows which used to pull in huge viewer numbers are on the verge of being cancelled because they are now trash and the ratings went down the toilet. Like Dr Who. Top Gear lost a lot of viewers too after Clarkson went, especially internationally.

They dont make any comedy anymore either (nothing worth mentioning at least) and that is what made the BBC globally famous.

They might as well go commercial, because there is nothing that makes the BBC worth the fee now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Some of the shows which used to pull in huge viewer numbers are on the verge of being cancelled because they are now trash and the ratings went down the toilet. Like Dr Who. Top Gear lost a lot of viewers too after Clarkson went, especially internationally.

They dont make any comedy anymore either (nothing worth mentioning at least) and that is what made the BBC globally famous.

They might as well go commercial, because there is nothing that makes the BBC worth the fee now.
The new Top Gear has proved so popular it’s heading back to BBC1. You may think that but as shown above many people watch the BBC regularly. East Enders, as much as I dislike it, is still one of the most popular shows in the Uk.

Soldato
Strong ratings vs their other stuff maybe, but they dont have much else to offer thats any good.

It used to pull in about 4-5 million just in the UK. Now it dips under 2 and international interest faded away afaik.

Soldato
Does anyone know how they actually catch people these days?

People unwittingly open the door, confirm who they are, and answer their questions. They have no right to knock on any door and ask questions. They have no power whatsoever.

Zero communication
Zero chance of prosecution

Last edited:
Soldato
People unwittingly open the door, confirm who they are, and answer their questions. They have no right to knock on any door and ask questions. They have no power whatsoever.
Surely anyone has the right to knock a door and ask questions. Whether the door-inhabiter has to open it or answer questions is a different matter.

Back
Top Bottom