Oculus Quest 2 v HP Reverb G2?

Soldato
At this stage we don't know how close Q2 will get to G2, but I don't think anyone is disagreeing that the G2 would be visually the best we can get right now.

However Q2 is now the 2nd best headset in terms of display resolution, better than index. It is lower FOV though, but so is the G2. Nothing widely available yet beats Index in that regard.

All mainstream headsets now use LCD so black levels are a common issue across them all.

90Hz+ is coming.

a lot will depend on how the resolution and compression works once they upgrade Link, and what solutions we start to see for using Wifi6.

Having handled the oculus panels and valve ones, not all panels are born equally.

the rift s made me lose faith in lcd technology because the colours were terrible. However the indexes were much much better, and the g2 is even better from reports.

I think a lot of us who are extrapolating findings on visuals and audio for the headsets have been in the VR game for a while and played extensively with every oculus headset and valves offerings.

given reviews of the g2 and the audio used in the quest, it’s clearly about the same and no where near even the cv1 audio..

Soldato
You don't need side by side, the G2 has the best resolution, moving screens with ipd adjustment, and speakers near your ears. Absolutely it will have the best visuals and audio compared with the G2. This isn't ego it's basic physics.

You can use other headphones with the quest, so this is "fixable" but it adds to the cost comparison.

What we don't know is how good wired/wireless PCVR is going to be with the quest, it might be 90% as good as the G2 but a considerable bit cheaper, or it might be complete dog doo.

If you want to be sure then a long wait might be in order to see what level of support the Q2 ends up with.

Yup
Headphones wise cost and convienance.

I hated having to plug my headphones into the headphone jack of the quest and then into my headphones whilst either holding both devices or being blind in VR.

Pass through made it a bit more manageable but hardly a seemless experience

I thought occy would have just nailed Bluetooth audio by now with the quest 2 as it seems the easiest solution if they don’t want to spend money on audio engineering

Soldato
You'd have thought the Elite Strap for the Quest 2 would have had a better audio solution. Still at least the Quest 2 headstrap is easily removable, so there will undoubtedly be third party solutions.

It's good the G2 has the same audio as the Index, though you do get sound from outside leaking in with that system. The Index has a headphone jack though so you can use wired headphones.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
You don't need side by side, the G2 has the best resolution, moving screens with ipd adjustment, and speakers near your ears. Absolutely it will have the best visuals and audio compared with the G2. This isn't ego it's basic physics.

You can use other headphones with the quest, so this is "fixable" but it adds to the cost comparison.

What we don't know is how good wired/wireless PCVR is going to be with the quest, it might be 90% as good as the G2 but a considerable bit cheaper, or it might be complete dog doo.

If you want to be sure then a long wait might be in order to see what level of support the Q2 ends up with.

Nope, not convinced.
The G2 clearly has the slightly higher resolution, but it doesn't mean that it has the best lenses, and I'm sure you're aware that they DO make a difference. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that the Quest lenses WILL be any better, but they might be.

As for the headphones, well I already use a pair of cheapo Koss over ear headphones with my Rift S, and they were just £17, i.e. roughly 1/10th of my normal day to day cans. However, for VR, they're fine, and are IIRC just as good as the well respected Rift CV1 cans.

So from a cost perspective, I think that we're currently looking at:
G2 - £600
Quest 2 - £300 + £80 for the cable, £50 for the headband and £20 for the headphones if you don't already have them, i.e.£450.

Back to my original point, until someone can actually conduct a non-biased side by side comparison of the two, I don't think we'll know.

Soldato
Seriously, there's been no side by side comparisons of the two units, so we really don't know which will have the best visuals or audio. Take a break chaps and have some patience.

We don’t know which will have the best audio? Are you having a giraffe?! I myself think the Quest 2 looks really promising overall but you must surely be joking?

Quest 2 audio = much like Quest 1 audio with 6db more volume, as confirmed by people with hands on it.

G2 audio = much like Index audio, same drivers used, as confirmed by people with hands on it.

As someone who owned quest and has used index, there is simply no comparison - not even slight. The only similarity is they both make noise and don’t require an external audio solution.

I would also suggest one doesn’t even need the above knowledge to comfortably say which will have the best audio between fairly large off ear monitors with known good quality vs teeny tiny speakers through piped audio channels. To borrow from the car world “there’s no replacement for displacement”!

The quest 2 would also have to pull some sort of absolute miracle to end up with better visuals to make up for over 30% less pixels, fixed single panel with 3 position IPD vs moveable dual panels with continuous IPD adjustment and all while going up against lenses/panels on the G2 that are seemingly described by previewers as being very impressive.... especially so once the limitations of link are accounted for when comparing Quest2’s PCVR visual quality vs G2. Bear in mind too that the oculus lenses are a known entity - they are apparently the same as those in the quest, so while perfectly good lenses there is no super secret miracle sauce to be found there.

Native mobile games may come closer in terms of clarity, contrast and colour reproduction without the compression of link. Obviously the visual experience then remains hobbled by substantially less powerful hardware than the typical PC in terms of overall visual fidelity, with the trade off being that beautiful untethered play-anywhere experience.

So I find that statement honestly bemusing. To me the only conversation to be had is how close it can come and whether the extra fidelity is worth the premium, not which will actually have the objectively better visual or audio experience. I say that as someone who intends to own both... so ego simply doesn’t come into it, I want both to be fantastic.

The quest 2 has an awful lot going for it, indeed in some areas more than the G2 and it may well even prove to be the better buy for many people, but expectations need to be realistic!

Last edited:
Soldato
We don’t know which will have the best audio? Are you having a giraffe?! I myself think the Quest 2 looks really promising overall but you must surely be joking?

Quest 2 audio = much like Quest 1 audio with 6db more volume, as confirmed by people with hands on it.

G2 audio = much like Index audio, same drivers used.

As someone who owned quest and has used index, there is simply no comparison - not even slight. The only similarity is they both make noise and don’t require an external audio solution.

I would also suggest one doesn’t even need the above knowledge to comfortably say which will have the best audio between fairly large off ear monitors with known good quality vs teeny tiny speakers through piped audio channels. To borrow from the car world “there’s no replacement for displacement”!

The quest 2 would also have to pull some sort of absolute miracle to end up with better visuals to make up for 30% less pixels, fixed single panel with 3 position IPD vs independently adjustable dual panels with continuous IPD adjustment and all while going up against lenses/panels on the G2 that are seemingly described by previewers as being very impressive.... especially so once the limitations of link are accounted for when talking comparing Quest2’s PCVR visual quality vs G2. Bear in mind too that the oculus lenses are a known entity - they are apparently the same as those in the quest.

Native mobile games may come closer in terms of clarity and colour reproduction without the compression of link, but obviously then remain hobbled by substantially less powerful hardware than the typical PC in terms of overall visual fidelity. To me the only conversation is how close it can come and whether the extra fidelity is worth the premium, not which will actually have the objectively better visual experience.

The quest 2 has an awful lot going for it, indeed in some areas more than the G2, but expectations need to be realistic!

Thank you.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Ref the audio, did I talk about using the crappy inbuilt quest audio, or using an external pair?
I even commented on what I use with my Rift S, and whilst they’re not going to challenge my day to day cans, neither did the CV1s and I can imagine the index or G2 will either.

I just don’t get why you’re so absolutely positive, before the real testing is done?

Soldato
Ref the audio, did I talk about using the crappy inbuilt quest audio, or using an external pair?
I even commented on what I use with my Rift S, and whilst they’re not going to challenge my day to day cans, neither did the CV1s and I can imagine the index or G2 will either.

I just don’t get why you’re so absolutely positive, before the real testing is done?

reviewers have already reviewed the audio, in fact many of the reviewers who had the G2 have already reviewed the Q2 as well, and none of them said the Q2 was better than the G2, and currently the link cable is as bad as it was on the Q1 with a comment that they aim to improve it in the future - depending on how much in the future that is reviewers may not bother coming back to it

Soldato
And said what?

that its crap compared with the index, its marginally better than the Q1 audio which was also widely panned

"In terms of sound quality and volume, Quest 2's speakers feel right in line with Quest. Meaning the audio is passable, but a far cry from from the quality you'd hear from something like Index or even the original Rift CV1"

I mean, the original Rift audio was barely ok and here reviewers are saying Quest 2 is noticeably worse than that.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Do I REALLY need to restate AGAIN that I know the inbuilt audio in the quest 2 will be crap, and that I’m assuming anyone with sense will use an add on pair? Hence why on my thoughts on cost, I even included a price for some cans.

Please do me the courtesy of reading my comments before responding.

Soldato
Do I REALLY need to restate AGAIN that I know the inbuilt audio in the quest 2 will be crap, and that I’m assuming anyone with sense will use an add on pair? Hence why on my thoughts on cost, I even included a price for some cans.

you quoted me and asked me what reviewers had said about the audio, you are now throwing a tantrum because I gave you the actual quote of what some of the reviewers said?
I think you need to wind it in a bit mate

I think you need to read your own posts before you go off on someone who has posted exactly what you asked about

Soldato
If you have found a link comparing the visuals (and not just the resolution specifications), I’d be very interested.

The only quote I can find regarding using the Quest 2 as PCVR headset is that in its current form the Quest Link on the Quest 2 visually is not even as good as the index, and reviewers have universally said the G2 is better than the index.

Soldato
The only quote I can find regarding using the Quest 2 as PCVR headset is that in its current form the Quest Link on the Quest 2 visually is not even as good as the index, and reviewers have universally said the G2 is better than the index.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Rift S has 538ppi vs 598ppi on the Index. Then the quest 2 using link probably barely looks better then the Rift S aswell.

Soldato

Well that’s an asinine argument... if you create your own audio solution then what’s the point in even comparing as neither will be as good as a set of £400 over ear monitors. So is your argument that every headset has the same audio because ultimately you can just put headphones on?

You said, and I quote, “Seriously, there's been no side by side comparisons of the two units, so we really don't know which will have the best visuals or audio.” Nowhere in that post was any reference made to external solutions.

I think I answered your post pretty comprehensively in my prior post and see little value in rehashing it as nothing you have said provides me with any counter arguments to help me reconsider my position.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
See post 44 where I included comments about audio and talked about costs for an aftermarket workable solution. No mention of needing to use £400 cans.

Back
Top Bottom