• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3080 and 120htz TV options (purchase)

Associate
I will at some point buy a new TV to go with the RTX3080.

i am looking at 75 inches or higher to replace my current 75inch sony

does anyone know what my options are

Is it LG only and OLED or does samsung fit into the picture

Caporegime
If you are particularly flush, the 77" LG CX OLED is probably your best bet, though of course it will be replaced by a new model out in 6-7 months.

It supports 120hz, HDMI 2.1, G-Sync, Auto-low-latency gaming mode etc.

Associate
I wouldn't touch an OLED with a barge pole for gaming. If you play anything with static UI elements you will end up with screen burn which is not covered under warranty. Personally I don't have any games that do not have static UI elements.

You'd be better off with a Samsung QLED, they are also made with high refresh and freesync but do not burn.

Soldato
If you are particularly flush, the 77" LG CX OLED is probably your best bet, though of course it will be replaced by a new model out in 6-7 months.

It supports 120hz, HDMI 2.1, G-Sync, Auto-low-latency gaming mode etc.
^^^^^^

OLED (as in the LG one posted above) is THE go to for gaming and LG have implemented systems that do frame shift so there is no screen burn I believe. For me it wouldn't be a problem, was the same worries with Plasma years ago then they sorted it, I had a plasma for years and never had any screen burn.

Associate
OLED is fine if you follow basic rules, people who say "dont use OLED, it will burnin" usually don't have an OLED.
I've used OLED as a PC monitor for 2 years, zero burnins, image quality is simply far superior to IPS/TN/VA panels

- don't turn off built in anti-burnin features of the TV
- don't leave the TV with a static image for a long time, use screensaver, and if paranoid, hide taskbar, desktop icons
- turn off the TV (sleep) if you're not using it

Associate
Thats the usual response from people that don't own an OLED or are unable to follow the basic prevention steps :rolleyes:
That's the response from people who have have both and have suffered from screen burn-in on an oled.

I have a LG55 C7 set that had slight burn-in from Sky news/BBc news banners, etc. It was replaced due to a manufacturing issue that these sets had that in resulted in a rectangle in the centre of the screen. I had never gamed on the oled.

When it came to adding a 75" TV for the children's playroom, I decided against oled and went for a Samsung 75 Q90R Qled as I didn't want to have any worry about potential screen burn. The TV can be on the same image for a long time, and I don't worry when it comes to the game being paused for any length of time.

If I was only using the TV for TV viewing I would have gone for an Oled again as I love the PQ of the LG we have.

If you can be certain that you can mitigate against potential screen burn in your own usage then I reckon the 77" oled would be fantastic, especially with Lg's use of 2.1 HDMI across the board.

Associate
That's the response from people who have have both and have suffered from screen burn-in on an oled.

I have a LG55 C7 set that had slight burn-in from Sky news/BBc news banners, etc. It was replaced due to a manufacturing issue that these sets had that in resulted in a rectangle in the centre of the screen. I had never gamed on the oled.

When it came to adding a 75" TV for the children's playroom, I decided against oled and went for a Samsung 75 Q90R Qled as I didn't want to have any worry about potential screen burn. The TV can be on the same image for a long time, and I don't worry when it comes to the game being paused for any length of time.

If I was only using the TV for TV viewing I would have gone for an Oled again as I love the PQ of the LG we have.

If you can be certain that you can mitigate against potential screen burn in your own usage then I reckon the 77" oled would be fantastic, especially with Lg's use of 2.1 HDMI across the board.

Ever since the LG B8 and C9, LG have added in a lot of technology to prevent burn-in. Virtually no-one with a B8 and up has complained of screen burn. I've had the LG C9 for about a year and it has been used daily for TV and gaming. With 4k/120hz and G-Sync, you really can't go wrong with gaming. It just brings everything to life that a QLED can't do when it comes to colours and blacks.

Caporegime
I've had 3 Plasma TV's (since 2003) and 2 OLED's

Always played games on all of them for hours at a time, never had burn in.

Either I am really lucky or just take sensible precautions but it's never been an issue for me.

Soldato
I will at some point buy a new TV to go with the RTX3080.

i am looking at 75 inches or higher to replace my current 75inch sony

does anyone know what my options are

Is it LG only and OLED or does samsung fit into the picture

My Samsung is running lovely with my 3080 and gsync working great. Also the Samsung gaming features like game mode motion plus is very cool feature that works well.

If you want 75"+ the Samsung's are less than half the price of an OLED.

The smaller size OLEDS are good value for money but the really big ones the price starts getting crazy.

Associate
Ever since the LG B8 and C9, LG have added in a lot of technology to prevent burn-in. Virtually no-one with a B8 and up has complained of screen burn. I've had the LG C9 for about a year and it has been used daily for TV and gaming. With 4k/120hz and G-Sync, you really can't go wrong with gaming. It just brings everything to life that a QLED can't do when it comes to colours and blacks.

I'd only put my faith in that id they covered it in their warranty. The fact that they don't speaks volumes. Until they do it's potentially a very expensive mistake.

Associate
I've had 3 Plasma TV's (since 2003) and 2 OLED's

Always played games on all of them for hours at a time, never had burn in.

Either I am really lucky or just take sensible precautions but it's never been an issue for me.

Samsung have done a good job at capitalising on and heavily overstating the issue. It's virtually a non-issue for modern OLED TVs, unless you disable the protective settings and go out of your way to try and cause the problem. Even then, there have been folk deliberately trying to cause burn-in on modern sets and have been unable to do so.

Associate
I'd only put my faith in that id they covered it in their warranty. The fact that they don't speaks volumes. Until they do it's potentially a very expensive mistake.
Exactly this. Say all you want about anecdotal evidence of no burn in. Manufacturers and even 3rd parties not covering it tells you all you need to know about the actual risk. I mean sure, on a cheap 55". Go nuts. I wanted a 75"+ screen though and gaming on a 77" OLED is madness imo.

Associate

For pure gaming and TV usage sure, but it simply can't be used as a sole desktop monitor. Your task bar, desktop wallpaper, desktop icons, google chrome bookmarks, MS Word/Excel/Outlook work etc etc will all burn in quickly. I say this as someone that would have got a 48CX over my current AW3420DW if not for this.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Just get the OLED from John Lewis and pay the £140 for 5 years accidental damage which includes burn-in.

As already said though, a lot of tech has been added to prevent burn-in.

I’ve been gaming solidly on my C9 for a couple of months now and no issues but I have the peace of mind for the next 5 years at least in case it does occur.

Back
Top Bottom