• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ampere... what a disastrous launch!

Soldato
I ordered a 3080 from the local restaurant menu, with some fries and a side of coleslaw. All the waiter brought to the table was the plate of fries and the coleslaw.

what a disastrous lunch!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
*** baddum tssssst ***

Seriously though, give over trying to defend nvidia for this with "it was the most successful launch ever". It was pitiful and now theres a back order piling up. I cant think that it wouldnt damage their reputation as people that arent blinded by the fanboy mindshare that genuinly wanted an upgrade are now out of pocket (till cancel or wait it out) and still got weeks till they know if one is on its way.

Caporegime
*** baddum tssssst ***

Seriously though, give over trying to defend nvidia for this with "it was the most successful launch ever". It was pitiful and now theres a back order piling up. I cant think that it wouldnt damage their reputation as people that arent blinded by the fanboy mindshare that genuinly wanted an upgrade are now out of pocket (till cancel or wait it out) and still got weeks till they know if one is on its way.
Demand was up to ten times the highest of any previous launch. They’d never have expected this even in their wildest dreams.

Associate
Demand was up to ten times the highest of any previous launch. They’d never have expected this even in their wildest dreams.

Well, but say that they were prepared for it to be like a previous launch, so 1/10th of orders. Say that ocuk got 20k orders on the first day. If nvidia had prepared for a "normal" launch, that would still mean there would be at least 2k cards ready to go, at thia vendor. Which as far as ive heard, was not the case.

I havent researched properly or anything, my uneducated guess is that nvidia set a particular launch date to please shareholders and to net "X" orders by a certain date. Combined with perhaps a more aggressive pricing strategy than before, to compete with the amd threat and next gen consoles, all it takes is not so great yield on manufacturing and bam. This happens.

I mean, given the choice, why would nvidia not make and sell as many as possible as fast as possible? Get them dolla before people spend it on consoles or other stuff. Its not like this is a fine bordeaux from a certain vintage with finite stock.

Soldato

OCUK haven’t even shipped anywhere close to 1k orders yet apparently Gibbo said last night. So that’s a tell that stock was proper paper edition. And that partners have told them deliveries will be small until later in October, they clearly weren’t ready or in production long enough - courtesy of Nvidia Rush.

So to think OCUK probably have about 15k orders now for a 3080 if not more... Nvidia has done very poorly and rushed this launch to try pip AMD.

Wouldn’t have harmed them to wait another 2-3 weeks. Should’ve been pre-orders last week only, keep ramping production then start shipping the cards early October. Given them much more time to have a healthy stock.

Soldato
I have never known such a botched launch of a product where there is next to no stock available anywhere!

Botched from a customer perspective, but this strategy is quite common from a consumer behaviour perspective:
  1. Build hype
  2. Drip feed performance stats
  3. Early pre order on high end product which provides biggest ROI but still accessible
  4. Limit order quantity for pre order so it sells out quickly
  5. This makes people want it even more, builds more hype and gets everyone (media included) talking about the product
It's also used by Tesla :)

Associate
OCUK haven’t even shipped anywhere close to 1k orders yet apparently Gibbo said last night. So that’s a tell that stock was proper paper edition. And that partners have told them deliveries will be small until later in October, they clearly weren’t ready or in production long enough - courtesy of Nvidia Rush.

So to think OCUK probably have about 15k orders now for a 3080 if not more... Nvidia has done very poorly and rushed this launch to try pip AMD.

Wouldn’t have harmed them to wait another 2-3 weeks. Should’ve been pre-orders last week only, keep ramping production then start shipping the cards early October. Given them much more time to have a healthy stock.
This was 100% a rushed paper launch, they only began manufacturing the cards in August which pretty much says it all about the stock situation.

Associate
It's Nvidia and the retailers prefering to have our money in their pockets than us keeping it in ours, and people stupid enough to go along with it.

Pre-ordering games is now so commonly accepted that we will now be pre-ordering every new piece of major hardware that is released, even when the lauch is clearly paper.

Caporegime
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-3080-qa/ No specific figures mentioned I’ll agree. Unprecedented demand though.

So complete guesswork then, that's nVidia's own take on things compared to their previous launch, not all launches. It also only measures things like page clicks and visitors which is not a strong indicator of demand being up to 10 times greater. Wouldn't surprise me if the previous launch they're comparing to is the 2080ti and therefore nowhere near a like for like comparison.

Botched from a customer perspective, but this strategy is quite common from a consumer behaviour perspective:
  1. Build hype
  2. Drip feed performance stats
  3. Early pre order on high end product which provides biggest ROI but still accessible
  4. Limit order quantity for pre order so it sells out quickly
  5. This makes people want it even more, builds more hype and gets everyone (media included) talking about the product
It's also used by Tesla :)

This sums up what I was trying to say on the previous page, it should be obvious to everyone that it's a genuine market strategy, it isn't just pot luck because of greater demand.

Soldato
If their hype is any good then the launches for these won't be any better.

Fixed it for you.

It was obviously a paper launch when almost a week after sales went live, you can count on one pair of hands how many 3080s I’ve seen in customer’s hands.

Nvidia have been absolute shambolic in how they’ve dealt with this 3000 series launch. 3090 is expected to be worse this week, Gibbo said he has single digit stock numbers on models. How’s that anything but a paper launch?

The best thing Nvidia could’ve done, is just allow pre-orders last week only. Then start shipping cards from 1st October or similar. At least AIBs and retailers would have another 2 weeks to manufacture and supply the chain. Whilst also getting an idea for demand volume on pre-orders.

I completely disagree they've been masterful in creating demand with cherry picked marketing slides and marketing awareness aka "hype" and restricting supply to maximise profits. Jensen's probably sitting back in his chair laughing watching the money pouring into their accounts. Where do you think they got the 40bn to buy ARM from? Selling jam doughnuts? Lol.

Everyone who wants a card will get one eventually though they'll probably pay way over MSRP. They don't care if you have to wait because they're raking it in its as simple as that. What you think they had your best interests at heart? Bless.

Soldato
Nah, it's not in their interests at all for OcUK. They want stock in and out ASAP sold.

I'd completely believe 3090 stock is single digits - after seeing the 3080 cards are prob in single digits who have one that I've seen.

Aye once its in stock they want orders serviced if they have to hang onto pre-orders and then wait for new stock the price they pay will go up and that cuts into their margins. The winner of course is Nvidia who's getting more profit per unit and its the retailer whos sucking up the loss.

Soldato
Surely the worst launch from nvidia. I can't remember a launch this bad from nvidia.

The issue with this launch is the hype for this new line up was massive and underachied.

The power comes at the cost of being hungry and hot.

Amd get slack for this and so should nvidia fair is fair.

Caporegime

Or they had barely any stock to begin with and are just going with an Apple style "ZOMG TEH DEMANDZZ we sOld outz in SecondZZ" story, considering retailers have all been gagged about speaking about stock numbers I find the hardly any stock line of thought far more believable.

Back
Top Bottom