Replacing a brick

Soldato
Hi guys. There's a missing half brick in the front wall on my neighbour's side but I'm going to repair it. There was a lot of lumpy mortar which I've chiselled out to reveal the brick behind. I've cut a dark coloured brick to fit and I've also got a light coloured brick I can cut. Which colour brick do you think is better to use?

I believe I should mix up 4 parts sand to 1 part cement for a mortar mix. I've got a big bag of coarse sharp sand which apparently isn't really meant to be used for brick laying. But wondering if I can use that or if I need to go and buy builders sand?

20200922-154903.jpg

Dark...

20200922-154924.jpg

Or light?
20200922-155022.jpg

Soldato
Sharp sand will look gritty and stand out from the other mortar. I would go for the lighter brick if you can't find a better match. Give the adjoining bricks a good soak of water to stop them drawing all the moisture from your mortar.

Soldato
OP
Sharp sand will look gritty and stand out from the other mortar. I would go for the lighter brick if you can't find a better match. Give the adjoining bricks a good soak of water to stop them drawing all the moisture from your mortar.

Thanks, and thanks for the tip about soaking the bricks with water. Bah, I've got a massive bag of coarse sharp sand, not much that of it used, that someone told me to buy for some other job and now I'm lumbered with it. :p
I'll go and buy the smallest bag of builders sand I can find. And I'll cut the lighter coloured brick. I'll use some coarse sand as a shock absorbing bed for the brick to be cut on.

Soldato
OP
Can you not source a matching London Yellow? It would look miles better.

Well the neighbour had said he was going to try and find a better matching brick, but I saw him yesterday and he seemed to be happy to use either of these bricks.

Was going to pop up to B n Q just now. What do you reckon to this sand? One good review and a bunch of bad ones saying lots of stones in it. Anyone used this brand?
https://www.diy.com/departments/tarmac-building-sand-large-bag/5030349012407_BQ.prd

Soldato
OP
I bought builders sand and had a go at this a few days ago. I put the lighter brick on a bed of sand and cut it. First attempt of putting the brick in place was ****, lol. I made a 3:1 mortar mix but I didn't make it wet enough, and when buttering the top and sides of the brick it kept falling off! So I thought, nah, and scooped out the mortar while it was wet.

Tried again today with a 4:1 mix and more water. Sprayed the bricks with water as advised by 200sols.

Much better. I'd also gone out and bought a 5" pointing trowel, a tuck pointer and a jointing iron. I never got to use the jointing iron but the tuck pointer is awesome for getting the mortar pressed into the gaps right to the back. I used the pointing trowel for a first ever attempt at weatherstruck pointing which for a first try wasn't too bad I think. Just waiting for it to go off now.

I think I got my mix about the right consistency?

20201001-145632.jpg
20201001-152028.jpg
20201001-171249.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
If you ever make mortar again stick a few drops of plasticiser in it, you will use less water and the mix will be Much easier to use

Soldato
Yeah a mate of mine who is a brickie uses washing up liquid but for the few quid it cost me for plasticiser I didn’t want to risk bodging the pointing I done and having to redo it within a few years

Caporegime
if you would have burnt the side of the brick a bit it probably would have almost perfectly of matched the other darker ones

Soldato
OP
Ah right, that's a interesting idea. Shall remember that for any similar brickwork I might do.
How long will it take for my mortar to change colour and lighten? And then I might put some sandpaper on the pointing to smooth some bits out. I'm pleased though, I just went to have a feel and it's absolutely solidly bonded in there. :)

Soldato
that is not such a bad job
prob over time it will fit in nicely good work but I wondered if its on your neighbours side why are u fixing it

Soldato
OP
that is not such a bad job
prob over time it will fit in nicely good work but I wondered if its on your neighbours side why are u fixing it

Well, I just fancied having a go since I have a bag of cement not really being used. Was good fun doing it. Need more practise to perfect the smoothing of the pointing.

Soldato
u are a good neighbour

mine would never dream of doing such things
we have "shared" hedges and trust me none cuts even 1mm extra to help other neighbours out lol

Back
Top Bottom