• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
Yeah but if you earn ok money and you're secure with some savings and assets, then its not that much money, i mean as younger person that would have been a lot, but as an adult with a steady profession you care less about things like price to performance ratio. Thats why those products exist for people that arent bothered too much by just splashing out.

Problem is covid puts even professionals at risk, because not only can work dry up, but serious economic crashes can wipe out the savings of fiscally conservative people. It's making spending of cash hard right now, i want to know i can pay the mortgage for a few years if theres serious economic downturn in future which i think will happen.
It's not about the abliity to afford it, you are not special or unique in this regard so I have no idea why you are all of a sudden droning on in multiple posts about these "uncertain times" and trying to make a big deal about people's finances. It just makes you sound insecure or like you have something to prove.

It's about the 3090 being an objectively terrible buy in terms of price/performance, based on what we have seen so far (final reviews to be confirmed). It's over double the cost, for only 10-20% more performance, while being much larger and longer to boot. Ugh.

Soldato
Real question is do I preemptively sell my 2080S and get decent cash on it and buy ampere blind. If so when is best time, considering I have no back up GPU I'll have to use integrated!

So how has this tactic worked out? I bet there's heaps of people now sitting with no GPU to enjoy their gaming, just to squeeze an extra couple hundred quid out some poor mug.

Associate
It's not about the abliity to afford it, you are not special or unique in this regard so I have no idea why you are all of a sudden droning on in multiple posts about these "uncertain times" and trying to make a big deal about people's finances. It just makes you sound insecure or like you have something to prove.

It's about the 3090 being an objectively terrible buy in terms of price/performance, based on what we have seen so far (final reviews to be confirmed). It's over double the cost, for only 10-20% more performance, while being much larger and longer to boot. Ugh.

No I think you're projecting that. I never said anything about being special or unique, you're literally just inserting that into the discussion for no reason. People had talked about how Covid is effecting their decisions to either buy a card now if they're getting government cheese or wait or whatver, i was adding my 2c.

Nothing is an objectively good or bad buy, is the point i was making, im well aware of the cost and performance deltas on the 3080 3090, i'm saying that not everyone cares about these things equally. If you care about the extra performance a lot, but the cost very little because you have a large disposable income then you can justify it.

Premium products have always been large, power hungry, hot and expensive, some people are fine with that.

Soldato
Go on, how is it Nvidias fault :confused:

You're kidding right?

As someone with the money sat doing nothing, I don't really care for the amount it does better than the 3080, most certainly an 'e-peen' comes into play. This is my hobby, I want the best of the best, and as a result, I will be getting a 3090 without question. I understand both sides to the argument, but at the same time, telling people how to spend their money is a bit weird.

It's all relative to the buyer. If the money mattered, I'd 100% go for the 3080, it's clearly the smarter choice. BUT, I don't have a budget nor care for one, so I'm going to get a 3090. Could I better spend my money elsewhere? Probably. Do I want to? No.

Soldato
You're kidding right?

As someone with the money sat doing nothing, I don't really care for the amount it does better than the 3080, most certainly an 'e-peen' comes into play. This is my hobby, I want the best of the best, and as a result, I will be getting a 3090 without question. I understand both sides to the argument, but at the same time, telling people how to spend their money is a bit weird.

It's all relative to the buyer. If the money mattered, I'd 100% go for the 3080, it's clearly the smarter choice. BUT, I don't have a budget nor care for one, so I'm going to get a 3090. Could I better spend my money elsewhere? Probably. Do I want to? No.

It's mostly always the people who can't afford one, who'll launch attacks on those that can. It's the same in every avenue of life though, those that shout the most tend the me the one with the least in the can.

Soldato
It's mostly always the people who can't afford one, who'll launch attacks on those that can. It's the same in every avenue of life though, those that shout the most tend the me the one with the least in the can.

Absolutely agree. I was the same one when I was younger, now, I relish in my ability to splurge out on stupid stuff.

Associate
Absolutely agree. I was the same one when I was younger, now, I relish in my ability to splurge out on stupid stuff.

Same, came from a poor family, I could only afford what i could pay for myself from working in kitchens and being paid under the table.

As you get older though, things change. As you have more disposible income, the price to performance becomes less important.

My main point however was that Covid could very much level the playing field, recessions create inflation that rapidly devalues savings, most of the people in a position to buy a 3090 right now, still need to think about what might happen in the next 6 to 24 months.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Its just a paper launch, Nvidia did it for the 1080, the threads from 2016 read pretty much identically to the 2020 threads.

They have done it to suck up all the pre-orders before the 6900XT arrives, now thousands of people are locked into a 2 month wait for their 3080 cards who won't order a 6900XT.

Why, can one not cancel a pre-order and get a refund? Not locked into anything.

Back
Top Bottom