• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

These 30 Series Are BIG!

Soldato
Thing is people who are buying these cards are probably enthusiasts who can afford to ditch traditional HDDs in favour of SSD - the problem in years gone by with big cards was they would often be wedged up against HDDs and in some cases you even had to remove the cage.
From memory I think the biggest card I've had was a GTX280(?) which is about 270mm according to google, so yeah, 320mm sounds massive, even with the HD cage removed I reckon the cage holder might block it, depending on how tall the card is.

I think most people buying these cards now are largely using modern fairly high spec systems already with a modern case that doesn't have drive cages at the front, so a modern open layout design and won't often be using mechanical hard drives in the same system anyway (use a NAS or another system for strorage) probably NVME SSD's more than sata SSD's I expect. To me, in most cases if you care so much to buy a £700 GPU and get involved in this launch madness ...you aren't likely using anything that is going to pose a problem already, reasoning is that because you care about your computer enough it's probably a hobby in of itself so you'll be tooled up and invested in it. The only way I see it might be an issue is if you have an intentionally small build that you are hoping to fit one into, that may not happen ....there will probably be some more compact models released in the future but there will be a limit to this of course.

Man of Honour
Yeah that's the point I am making, enthusiasts won't need a populated HD cage anymore because they will have faster storage. But there's probably some people out there that like the idea of a fast GPU but are still running cases with cage holders even if they don't have the cages themselves in there any more. My case is fairly old (over 18 years) but the core of the system relatively modern (2700X, 1070ti, SSD primary drive).

Thinking about it, my computer case is probably the oldest thing I own that still gets regular use, everything else (house, car, clothing, furniture etc) was all built more recently!

Soldato
Well, you can get a 'decent' modern case for £70 now, you could spend more sure for more bells and whistles but £70 will get the job done nicely (£50 will get it done even), that's as much or perhaps less in some cases than the launch day price rises on these GPU's' that people seem willing to pay.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Just going to take a Dremel to my kid’s PC to get my Zotac triple fan 2080Ti into it.

It’s either that or ask for a swap in the MM for a smaller card.

Can’t be arsed to replace the case just to install a hand me down card though.

Think it was a struggle to get the Sapphire RX480 into it so no chance without a bit of DIY.

However, my own PC is good up to 500mm. :D

Soldato
Will need to get a new case, my 540 air is starting to feel small.
Same here the length GPU my Silverstone FT02 could take was getting to be to small
Silverstone FT02 = Expansion card Compatible with 12" (304mm) or 12.2" (309mm) (with fan grille removed), width restriction-6.69" (169mm)

So this morning i ordered a new case :):):)
Evolv X = Graphics card length: 435 mm (17.2 in) :D:D:D

fw98l0J.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Just going to take a Dremel to my kid’s PC to get my Zotac triple fan 2080Ti into it.

It’s either that or ask for a swap in the MM for a smaller card.

Can’t be arsed to replace the case just to install a hand me down card though.

Think it was a struggle to get the Sapphire RX480 into it so no chance without a bit of DIY.

However, my own PC is good up to 500mm. :D

2080Ti is a hand me down?? DADDY WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE :D

Back
Top Bottom