• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to release a GPU from motherboard? stuck

Associate
Guys im trying to remove my Asus 2080ti from my motherboard

I have a X299 Asus Rampage board

The 2080ti has been seated on the mobo for over 180 months

The clip that releases the GPU from the motherboard is missing, top bit snapped off so there is a bit i can manage to see with my torch

I have tried to firmly left the card from the mobo but it seems like it is stuck solid, really permanent, theres no headroom for a wiggle either

Adding more pressure feels like the PCIe slot will tear off from the board

I tried to get a knife and thin screwdriver to press against the back bit, but i cant get a good angle

Do I have to now remove the motherboard from the case?

Is there any other way to remove the card

I just ant to avoid breaking the card or the mobo

Standing by

Associate
I doubt removing the motherboard is going to help tbh. Leaving it in place screwed down in the case will help give you the leverage that you need. Could need just a firmer pull than you have been giving it. I know you said it was flexing the PCIE slot but i have had mobos flexing like hell in the past when trying to lock some stock cpu cooler clips into place. Sounds like it is your only option now if you have broken the tab at the end of the slot.

Only other option rather than make things worse would be to take the pc into your local repair center and i am sure they will get it out for you.

Associate
what do they mean by a small ruler?

Probably this one
a7679410bfe6958604b4feeb12315311.png

and not this one

594a857dddc26718fa3ac41520850081.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
Long flat head screwdriver, skewer, chopstick, a hint long, reasonable sturdy and easy to handle.

removing the motherboard may help you get better access.

Associate
I disagree: it will give the OP far better visibility of the problem.

That clip is at the end of the PCIE slot above the GPU backplate. Cant see how removing will give better view since it has already been snapped off. Question has to be asked how on earth was it snapped off in the first place? At this stage i would say put it into a trusted local pc repair shop before further damage is caused. He has already be in there poking around with a screwdriver and knife which does not sound very good tbh..

Associate
OP
ok this think is locked in proper, maybe the heat from the gold contacts from the GPU has melted in soldered in the PCIe slot, so basically ive got a 2080ti permanently conected to the motherboard, im gonna just take it in to PC world, see if the noobs there can do somting

I sold it on the bay yesterday, honestly the thing sold in 30 mins for 625

Back
Top Bottom