ZFS

Soldato
OP
I was thinking of trying it out as a daily desktop though i've seen people complain about performance when it comes to media files and bitorrent so i might disable compression.

Soldato
Anyone tried it out yet , the snapshot function looks like a great idea?

Give btrfs a try. It has been in the Linux kernel a long time and has a lot of the same features as ZFS and some distros use it as the default filesystem (OpenSUSE for instance). Pretty stable by now although fixes keep coming in newer kernels to improve it still.

Soldato
OP
Ubuntu now has ZFS as part of the installer for root-zfs and also has Zsys to add snapshots to the grub menu , no need to reinvent the wheel just to try snapshots.

Associate
Anyone tried it out yet , the snapshot function looks like a great idea?

Yes, migrated my ZFS NAS from FreeNAS to CentOS a couple of years ago, and recently migrated from CentOS to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

It's been solid, I've got some decent HGST drives and I'm using mirrored VDEV's with ECC ram.

The one thing I really don't like, It's slow, really slow.

It's sort of OK ish for smaller file reads, the 32G ECC is just enough to maintain decent ARC cache but reading or writing large files, VM images, media that sort of thing is painful. I don't have room in the box for a faster disk for an L2ARC cache to help deal with that :(

Soldato
OP
Thanks both for the feedback

Cenuij i've seen quit a few complaints about slowdown with ZFS apparently fragmented data like torrent downloading can be a right pain as well.

brummie have you experienced slowness like Cenjuij?

Associate
Yes, migrated my ZFS NAS from FreeNAS to CentOS a couple of years ago, and recently migrated from CentOS to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

It's been solid, I've got some decent HGST drives and I'm using mirrored VDEV's with ECC ram.

The one thing I really don't like, It's slow, really slow.

It's sort of OK ish for smaller file reads, the 32G ECC is just enough to maintain decent ARC cache but reading or writing large files, VM images, media that sort of thing is painful. I don't have room in the box for a faster disk for an L2ARC cache to help deal with that :(

Currently using ZFS ZRAID on FreeNas ATM. Out of interest, what made you drop FreeNas?

Associate
Currently using ZFS ZRAID on FreeNas ATM. Out of interest, what made you drop FreeNas?
The whole FreeNAS Corral cluster **** left me with a very bad taste. Also FreeBSD isn't really much useful for me anymore outside of ZFS which now has decent support on Linux.

Lastly, FreeBSD virtualisation with bhyve is awful in comparison to Linux options.

Back
Top Bottom