Rust experts...is this repairable? Old nissan... now waiting on pics of 3000GT!

Caporegime
hi guys, looking at a car but noticed pretty corroded chassis rails,

Does it look curable and what kind of cost are we expecting here?

Screenshot-20200916-184057-Gallery.jpg

Screenshot-20200916-180725-Messenger.jpg

Screenshot-20200916-184142-Gallery.jpg

Its an old nissan...but I have little experience of welding fixing this...

Soldato
Two points:

1. Pretty much anything is repairable with enough time and money.
2. You won't know how bad it (it, as in the rest of the car) is until you start digging.

Caporegime
OP
Are you the type that likes rolling around on your drive way covered in rust and bits of black?

Er I'm more if a send it to the guy at the garage and let him sort :)

Two points:

1. Pretty much anything is repairable with enough time and money.
2. You won't know how bad it (it, as in the rest of the car) is until you start digging.

Thats what worries me a little bit.

Car in question is a skyline fwiw

Soldato
Without getting loose rust and underseal off its almost impossible to gauge what the metal beneath is like. Until you do that you wont know if it requires welding or just treating.

Soldato
If that's what you can see, you can guarantee there will be more.

If you're buying it blind, only do so if you can effectively throw away what you're spending on it – because it'll potentially cost half the purchase price, if not more, to sort it out properly.

In the best-case scenario, where it transpires to be nothing but ugly surface corrosion, it'll still cost a fair bit to sort. These things rust like absolute troopers, too.

I would advise you to tread carefully but you are evidently doing just that! :)

Associate
It does look like they going to fall to pieces when you start grinding, Cost will depend what sort of job you want, what ever sort of repair you have done I would suggest you see the finished product before it has underseal covering it.

Man of Honour
That's factory fresh for an old Nissan :D and I have had a few.

As above, you won't know until you poke it - My S14a looked like the bottom of a swamp underneath but was solid, my S12 Silvia looked immaculate but the inside of the rails were toast :(

Caporegime
OP
If that's what you can see, you can guarantee there will be more.

If you're buying it blind, only do so if you can effectively throw away what you're spending on it – because it'll potentially cost half the purchase price, if not more, to sort it out properly.

In the best-case scenario, where it transpires to be nothing but ugly surface corrosion, it'll still cost a fair bit to sort. These things rust like absolute troopers, too.

I would advise you to tread carefully but you are evidently doing just that! :)

I think any car of that age will look like that underneath unless someone has tarted it over.

It does look like they going to fall to pieces when you start grinding, Cost will depend what sort of job you want, what ever sort of repair you have done I would suggest you see the finished product before it has underseal covering it.

That's factory fresh for an old Nissan :D and I have had a few.

As above, you won't know until you poke it - My S14a looked like the bottom of a swamp underneath but was solid, my S12 Silvia looked immaculate but the inside of the rails were toast :(

Thanks guys, yeah on the one hand I thibk, a wire brush and a bit of kure rust and it will be fine. On the other I think omg replacing the chassis rails is a huge job..

Back
Top Bottom