• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Owners - how is your experience?

Soldato
I've had a 5700xt 50th Anniversary and I will say the drivers are mostly good but there's sometimes the odd one that just throws in a few hiccups. Basically I would say AMD has come a long way in that regard and their drivers are much better...although Wattman in my opinion is still absolutely awful!

I did however encounter some issues in VR (Oculus) but they were few and far between.

I would have no concerns from a driver point of view coming into the next series of cards, it may just take them a few months to fully tune the performance which is much the same with every release.

Soldato
I have a 2080ti now which I picked up cheap so I'm officially out of the Ampere market. However I am very interested in AMD again, I really want them to suceed with Big Navi, can't see another upgrade for a year or so now but wanting Navi to deliver to drive things forward.

Soldato
Vega 64 here and the drivers have been fine. It's really hard to remember the last time i had any major issues. Cards include Vega 64, 290, 6870, 3870, 1900xtx and 9800pro. The only reason i have no problem recommending my friends and family AMD/Ati over the years with all the driver stigma is through my own experience of not having any major issues. I will be jumping ship to big Navi with the expectation that this won't change.

Associate
6950, 7950 no issues
Vega 56 a good few issues, most notably the black screens which after hours of troubleshooting and trying different fixes I found the fix - disabling AMD overlay/recording software. Undervolting on Vegas also doesn't work if you use HDMI so 10% performance lost there. Hdmi cause the cards to be stuck at higher voltages for some reason. Few other bugs here and there like flickering freesync if second monitor is turned off for some reason is pushing me more towards Nvidia this time.

Soldato
I had 3 new amd cards in a short period, 56 and then 2 5700xt, the 56 and 1st 5700xt failed shortly after buying days after, 2nd 5700xt wasn't as good as 1st when it worked lol

Drivers were went from good to crashy to good too

Associate
Ive had a string of radeon cards for a long time now, as far back as X800, X1800XL, 4870, 5850, 7970, R9 290, Fury-X and Vega 64. The only card I had issues with was the R9 290 when I foolishly bought a reference model on launch, it was hot and noisy and seemed to have a lot of issues with less taxing games like DOTA2 where it would just blackscreen crash the entire PC for no reason, even when not overheating. Not sure if I pin it down to bad drivers or the tragic reference design card tbh, but it put me off reference coolers for a long time, both the fury-x and vega64 AIOs are excellent coolers in comparison.

I had a geforce 970 in my second living room PC for a few years now untill I replaced it with a cheap second hand vega56 and I have to say I much prefer AMDs software suite, it feels much more modern.

Soldato
RX580 here ..I get some shimmering sort of texture in one area in the Resident evil 2 remake which I've just completed but it's not a biggie and might just be nothing to do with AMD drivers.

Apart from that I am not aware of anything else.

Soldato
6970 x2 280x x4 (the 280x still in use in the kids machines in xfire a vega 56 and a 5700 all just turn on game and work no issues. Xfire can be a bit hit or miss for performance game dependant but never had an issue just using the current official drivers

Soldato
I got a Powercolor Red Devil 5700XT on release. No issues at all. In fact I've never really had an issue with any GPU including the GTX 1070. I find Windows updates are a fast bigger issue than drivers and users are much more of a variable than which GPU manufacturer you choose. The overconfident tinkerer is the bigger risk to stability ;)

Soldato
Currently using a Vega 56 Pulse and eagerly awaiting the new AMD GPUs

Before that Fury and before that 290X no issues at all on any GPU, my Vega 56 is a good one and boosts to 1700 which is nice completely stable in all games I play

I haven't had a Nvidia GPU since they ripped me off with the 970 RAM and probably won't be buying one unless the next AMD GPUs prove to be terrible value in comparison then I'll have to risk it

Associate
I currently have a Vega 56 and performance is very good but had quite a few issues which turns out was being caused by overlays been OK since, I was all for the new RTX cards but I am starting to think the smart money is getting the upcoming AMD stuff as it looks like more VRAM and similar perf in the price range I can afford (£400-£500 mark).

Soldato
Running AMD cards for 12 years now and not really had a problem. Can remember a driver problem in Dying Light which was fixed in xfire, but bar that I' been pretty much problem free... or certainly nothing that would concern me buying another card. My 5700XT runs everything I need to 100% reliable since I bought it and is quicker than peopel think.

Soldato
Since I had a ATI X1800XT everything after that has been Nvidia. I sold my 2080 to basically cash it in before the new cards came pre-lockdown and bought an AMD 5700xt for £249. Wanted to try AMD for a change. As others have said the AMD Control Panel makes the Nvidia one look like Windows 3.1 it has a lot of features and nicely laid out. All throughout the driver issues people have experienced I had no issues. Installed the card and it simply works. Dont bother undervolting etc and temps are around 65c when gaming and it runs around 1950-2035 gpu clock. My monitor is a freesync one which is also gsync compatible so it doesnt matter which card I get for that. Dont see the point trying to scrabble for 3xxx card will probably give it a miss this time round although might be tempted by an AMD offering this time round and probably do a cpu/motherboard refresh over a GPU purchase.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Since I had a ATI X1800XT everything after that has been Nvidia. I sold my 2080 to basically cash it in before the new cards came pre-lockdown and bought an AMD 5700xt for £249. Wanted to try AMD for a change. As others have said the AMD Control Panel makes the Nvidia one look like Windows 3.1 it has a lot of features and nicely laid out. All throughout the driver issues people have experienced I had no issues. Installed the card and it simply works.

Right, so as your one of the few unicorns that have gone nvidia > AMD, your experience has been positive and far more weight than nvidia owners that "I read it somewhere" that the drivers were flawed etc.?

This is the kind of post people should absorb instead of taking a fanboys word on it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Right, so as your one of the few unicorns that have gone nvidia > AMD, your experience has been positive and far more weight than nvidia owners that "I read it somewhere" that the drivers were flawed etc.?

This is the kind of post people should absorb instead of taking a fanboys word on it.
Nah, my post holds more weight as I buy from both AMD and Nvidia, have a lot of experience with both and am no fanboy ;)

:p:D

Soldato
The fanboy part is interesting as do people think there would be fanboys if the driver experience was so bad. There is no way there would be such a thing if the driver experience was so bad it was unusable a lot of the time. Only reason I keep going back to AMD is because the cards do what I want them to do at a better price than the competition.

Will never get people that just want to game that would pay £100 more for the same experience.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The fanboy part is interesting as do people think there would be fanboys if the driver experience was so bad. There is no way there would be such a thing if the driver experience was so bad it was unusable a lot of the time. Only reason I keep going back to AMD is because the cards do what I want them to do at a better price than the competition.

Will never get people that just want to game that would pay £100 more for the same experience.
Marketing! :p

It is like the iPhone, some refuse to buy anything else as they think it is not cool or not as good, no matter what you say. Lost causes.

Back
Top Bottom