Deep Fat Fryer... never had one, am I missing out?

Soldato
OP
Picked one up for £35 from Argos.

Cooked some Scampi... MY GOODNESS.. soo much better than shoving them in the oven :D

Next up... hash browns for breakfast.

Do not worry, not my regular food schedule but everything within reason.

Soldato
Doughnuts (baignette too - that chef film) are what I'd have to try,
but, if you use fried take-aways frequently anyway, is there a justification that a home fryer would be healthier, with less fat taken into product,
because the temperature+cooking+draining was better controlled, by you.

fish is dam expensive though , and, the chip shops probably get very good prices.

Soldato
Churros as well

Battered mars bars and other things :)

Oh and corn dogs

The others things I meantioned that you can batter - bartered burgers!

Onion rings!

Last edited:
Soldato
Caporegime
Christ almighty - got ours a couple of weeks ago. I thought fried chicken would take a couple of tries to perfect but we pretty much nailed it on the first go using this recipe. Used vegetable ghee instead of buttermilk and probably more salt/pepper/oregano than the recipe says. Oh and we did the chicken pieces in the flour twice.

Permabanned
deep fat fryer was great for making chips but stinks a lot and coats your kitchen in oily steam

Exactly, It literally coats the walls unless you have chippy extractors. I might get one for an outdoor shed sometime though alongside the Pizza oven its an ideal place for two things that i wont use indoors.

Soldato
can't you get a fryer with a good carbon filter then ?
woks can be bad enough for vaporized oil, the trend for open plan is not very compatible either.

Soldato
Never saw the attraction in these...fine in chippies, not at home IMO. I wouldn't be able to stand the smell wafting round the house!
You know there is this great gadget called an extractor fan, they mean when you cook things that smell, that that smell gets extracted. Also deals with the grease.

Chips in an air fryer. Will id rather not bother with chips of that was the only way to cook them in a glorified tiny fan assisted oven.

Back
Top Bottom