Considering a console.. Hidden costs? Anything I'll Miss vs pc?

Caporegime
It's cheaper to get an xbox x than a new gpu. What a joke.

So. With that I'm considering moving to consoles again.

What I'm wary of is subscriptions.

Last console I had was an xbox 360. You bought a game. Put it in, played game.

On pc. I buy a game, download it, play game.

What I don't want is this to be false economy. Pay 700 ish to revamp my pc. Buy games 20-30 quid
Pay 500 for console and buy games for 50. Or worse. Susbsribe.

Better to stick to pc? Or is a consoles worth it?

Soldato
Consoles are cheap because they get some a % back from selling games, services and other add-ons.
Your options are
  1. Suck up the higher PC System cost and normal game price.
  2. Suck up the higher game cost but cheaper unit (game play only)

Soldato
You can buy a console with teh disc drive and it pretty much works like that, you buy it, you own it to play any time you like.
With the likes of Xbox Game Pass, ifyou get ultimate, that covers any game they have in their library for download, to play when you like, so long as they have it on their service ( think "Net flix for games", but it also covers you for your online gameplay etc. THing is with MS Studio owned games, brand new titles are put on the service same day as availble on disc.
Also, its a rolling contract, you pay monthly, can quit any time.

Soldato
Let’s put it this way... your fibre takes a hammering . The game pass is good value. And I buy a lot of my games when they come up cheap digitally. Factor in you also get a 4k player and services that do 4k I think it’s a bargain tbh.

Do you have a 4k tv OP?

Soldato

What I don't want is this to be false economy. Pay 700 ish to revamp my pc. Buy games 20-30 quid

Biggest things you'll miss from PC are mod support, ultrawide support, certain genres which are basically non-existent on console (e.g. strategy & sim) and peripheral support (console is crap for this; limited selection, limited compatibility of stuff for Flight Sim, as an example).

As @Kreeeee will tell you, being able to buy a disc, complete the game, and resell the disc means games can be very cheap, if you play through stuff quickly.

Soldato

The only 'hidden' cost is that you have to pay for online multiplayer the exception being free to play games on Playstation.

Man of Honour
@413x yes, join the pc to/plus console switch :D

I’m as clueless as you, but I have an X on order. May as well make use of our 60inch 4K when the wife isn’t watching crap on it.

Games seem a little pricier, although they are going up on pc too. I don’t buy too many anymore, so I’m not too fussed. I won’t miss the faffing with settings, pc stops working, drivers out of date. I’ll still pc game occasionally, but it’ll be nice to have a sofa option after work.

Soldato
I have subscribed to XBox game pass and think its great value... Check it out and see what you think. I'd like to get back into PC gaming, but the cost when compared to a console is putting me off!

Soldato
@413x Depends on what you enjoy.

Some drawbacks:
Games are generally more expensive
Playing online requires subscription for most decent games (but you do get 'free' games every month which is good)
Peripheral support is reduced.
No mouse and keyboard options for most 1st person shooters - but to be honest using mouse and keyboard online is a bit cheaty in most circumstances anyway.
Console frame rates tend to suck, but next gen offerings may redress the balance.
Minimal content for RTS and sim type games, so if that's your thing you will struggle on console.
Internet browsing is atrocious on consoles - but many use a tablet instead.
Using a pad - eugh. Mouse and keyboard is far superior.
Load times on current gen are meh.
Graphical fidelity reduced compared to a decent PC (next gen will be a lot better)

Some bonuses:
Plug and play - hassle free gaming in most circumstances.
Great value sub services like gamepass are well balanced for cost vs content and next gen is set to be stronger.
Online subs bring free games, many of which are good.
Sofas typically are more comfortable than chairs!
Far less cheating/hacking in online games on console.
Consoles deliver good bang for buck vs a PC over their lifetime.
Cross platform features within the Microsoft ecosystem.
Great sales on digital media that happen often.
Good trade in residuals on disc based games can reduce ownership costs significantly (if you are happy to trade in). 2nd hand disc market also reasonable.
Great social functionality for gaming with friends.
Depending on console - some pretty good exclusives.
Modern consoles also act as reasonably good 4k media players for films.
Consoles are generally very reliable and less prone to hardware failures or software issues.
Consoles are great for local co-op with a few beers when you have friends/family around.
4k HDR support.

Man of Honour
Biggest things you'll miss from PC are mod support, ultrawide support, certain genres which are basically non-existent on console (e.g. strategy & sim) and peripheral support (console is crap for this; limited selection, limited compatibility of stuff for Flight Sim, as an example).

As @Kreeeee will tell you, being able to buy a disc, complete the game, and resell the disc means games can be very cheap, if you play through stuff quickly.

Or if you buy older games that have already hit a price floor.

Caporegime
I miss keyboard and mouse on FPS, Total war and strategy games that are PC only and the generally cheaper games (I only buy digital now whether it console or PC)

Everything else I don't miss.

Caporegime
OP
Hmm.
Thanks for the input. The subscription thing is a bit of a tough one. Not sure if I play online enough to warrant it.

Definitely go for the disc version! I thought I on disc ones might be a bit like steam without. Just a market place where some games are super cheap.

I also don't have a 4k TV yet. (plasma is still going strong amazingly!)

Most of the games I play are RTS type games. Apart from fallout and borderlands.

If I'm not playing RTS I use a controller anyway so that's no issue.

Lack of ultrawide might be an issue. I'm not sure if I'll use this mainly in living room or office. I actually assumed this wasn't an issue!

This is quite a mixed picture. I think big points are lack of ultrawide and the subs service. Looking like cost might not even be a difference over a few years.

Other big one is lack of decent games. I didn't enjoy fallout 4 and new borderlands isn't as good . It peaked at 2

May have to wait (I will anyway I guess!) and see if any good games come out.

Soldato
On the sub front, this thread would be quite relevant:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...s-ultimate-conversion-is-back-for-1.18886177/

You're getting a lot of content for not a lot of money via this offer. Game Pass on Xbox, PC, and Android, plus EA Play (Xbox and PC?), plus Xbox Live Gold (online sub for consoles).

Seems like you're in the same boat as a lot of us; seeing how much cheaper consoles are, but then realising you'll miss a few small things from PC. Strategy games are the big one for me. If they'd port Total War to Xbox, my PC would be on the MM come November :p

C64

C64

Soldato
People think pc isn't going to get shafted this gen but I disagree if i'm a publisher no way would I want a popular game out on piratebay same time as console.

I'm getting a ps5 as I don't fancy gta 6, 5 years after console release.
All the type of games I like don't even come to pc like the ufc games.

Man of Honour
@413x Depends on what you enjoy.

Some drawbacks:
Games are generally more expensive
Playing online requires subscription for most decent games (but you do get 'free' games every month which is good)
Peripheral support is reduced.
No mouse and keyboard options for most 1st person shooters - but to be honest using mouse and keyboard online is a bit cheaty in most circumstances anyway.
Console frame rates tend to suck, but next gen offerings may redress the balance.
Minimal content for RTS and sim type games, so if that's your thing you will struggle on console.
Internet browsing is atrocious on consoles - but many use a tablet instead.
Using a pad - eugh. Mouse and keyboard is far superior.
Load times on current gen are meh.
Graphical fidelity reduced compared to a decent PC (next gen will be a lot better)

Some bonuses:
Plug and play - hassle free gaming in most circumstances.
Great value sub services like gamepass are well balanced for cost vs content and next gen is set to be stronger.
Online subs bring free games, many of which are good.
Sofas typically are more comfortable than chairs!
Far less cheating/hacking in online games on console.
Consoles deliver good bang for buck vs a PC over their lifetime.
Cross platform features within the Microsoft ecosystem.
Great sales on digital media that happen often.
Good trade in residuals on disc based games can reduce ownership costs significantly (if you are happy to trade in). 2nd hand disc market also reasonable.
Great social functionality for gaming with friends.
Depending on console - some pretty good exclusives.
Modern consoles also act as reasonably good 4k media players for films.
Consoles are generally very reliable and less prone to hardware failures or software issues.
Consoles are great for local co-op with a few beers when you have friends/family around.
4k HDR support.

That's a great list. For me the bonuses are starting to outweigh the drawbacks.

Back
Top Bottom