X3 or 3 Series Tourer (Or A4 Avant), brand new. Which one, and which trim?

Soldato
It's time to order a new car, and I've narrowed it down to the X3 or 3 Series Tourer but I'm unsure about trim options. (though the A4 Avant is also a niggle in my mind).

I currently drive a 17 plate GLC 220d Sport, and when I first got it I didn't really like the height but now grown to quite like it. I have a golden retriever, which if I didn't I'd 100% get the 3 series saloon but don't fancy putting him in the back seats.

Right now I work from home, but from next year mileage will be increasing to approximately 10,000-15,000 business miles a year though it could realistically be significantly less. I get paid for business mileage. Personal mileage would be around 5,000 a year. The X3 is only available in petrol, and the the only petrol Tourer in budget is the 330i, if a diesel it would be the 320d.

I hate the infotainment system on my 17 plate GLC. Parking sensors are a must, and a camera would be preferred. I'd also want tinted rear windows (mainly for the dog) which I understand are a cost option.

I'm a bit miffed about the spec, the X3 is easy - I'm only able to select one, but the Tourer has a few options. I'm discounting SE, and whilst I like the look of M Sport I read that the suspension is pretty harsh? However, the equivalent M Sport is only £13 a month more than the Sport. I can add options, but these will soon add up (albeit, I will be adding the privacy glass) Then there is the option to add Pro Pack but I don't really see the benefit for £22 a month.

So, what should I get? I like the look of both of them, I get the Tourer will be more engaging to drive, and I suspect my dog will prefer it as well! But, I like the presence and size of the X3 and my previous 3 cars have been the small SUV type (GLC, Kia Niro (don't ask), Peugeot 3008).

I'm somewhat leaning towards the 330i M Sport with the 320d MHT M Sport in second place. The second seems more sensible, and if business mileage was a lot higher than I would go for that but feel that this is a good opportunity to get something a bit 'silly'.

X3: X3 xDrive20i xLine

BMW 3 SERIES TOURING 330i M Sport 5dr Step Auto
BMW 3 SERIES DIESEL TOURING 320d MHT M Sport 5dr Step Auto
BMW 3 SERIES DIESEL TOURING 320d MHT M Sport 5dr Step Auto [Pro Pack]
BMW 3 SERIES DIESEL TOURING 320d MHT M Sport 5dr Step Auto [Tech Pack]
BMW 3 SERIES DIESEL TOURING 320d MHT Sport 5dr Step Auto
BMW 3 SERIES DIESEL TOURING 320d MHT xDrive M Sport 5dr Step Auto

I've also looked at the A4 Avant, which is a contender, but I'm leaning more towards the BMW. Although, the A4 35 TFSI Avant Black Edition is around £50 a month less than the BMW which is tempting whilst the A4 35 TDI Black Edition is comparable to the 320d M Sport.

Decisions!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Unless you really want an X3 and know you do, then remove it from the list. It's a good car, but IMHO it does nothing the 3 Series doesn't do better other than offer ground clearance. If you want 4wd, you'll know its also available on the 3 Series.

The next car to remove from the list is the Audi A4 - there is nothing wrong with it, but its a 4 year old car and the 3 Series is newer and IMHO a better choice.

So, which 3 Series?

Tricky because you've got a choice between a 'low' spec 330i or a 'high' spec 320d. The 330i is the better engine - it's smoother, faster and more refined. But the 320d isn't exactly slow (0-60 6.8) and is more efficient. All being equal, I'd pick the 330i. But all is not equal because you have a choice of either a 320d Tech pack or a 320d Pro Pack.

The tech pack adds a headup display, Harmon kardon stereo and wireless charging as well as useless rubbish like gesture control and a wifi hotspot.
The pro pack adds ghastly black wheels, horrible black mirrors and other such rubbish so is probably best avoided. I believe the Pro pack is there to cater to the decade old ex fleet ebay market in the future.

So, do you want a fuel efficient car with a headup display and a decent stereo? Get a 320d M Sport Tech Pack
Or do you want a quick sporty saloon? Get a 330i M Sport.

Done.

Soldato
OP
Unless you really want an X3 and know you do, then remove it from the list. It's a good car, but IMHO it does nothing the 3 Series doesn't do better other than offer ground clearance. If you want 4wd, you'll know its also available on the 3 Series.

The next car to remove from the list is the Audi A4 - there is nothing wrong with it, but its a 4 year old car and the 3 Series is newer and IMHO a better choice.

So, which 3 Series?

Tricky because you've got a choice between a 'low' spec 330i or a 'high' spec 320d. The 330i is the better engine - it's smoother, faster and more refined. But the 320d isn't exactly slow (0-60 6.8) and is more efficient. All being equal, I'd pick the 330i. But all is not equal because you have a choice of either a 320d Tech pack or a 320d Pro Pack.

The tech pack adds a headup display, Harmon kardon stereo and wireless charging as well as useless rubbish like gesture control and a wifi hotspot.
The pro pack adds ghastly black wheels, horrible black mirrors and other such rubbish so is probably best avoided. I believe the Pro pack is there to cater to the decade old ex fleet ebay market in the future.

So, do you want a fuel efficient car with a headup display and a decent stereo? Get a 320d M Sport Tech Pack
Or do you want a quick sporty saloon? Get a 330i M Sport.

Done.

Thanks Fox.

The Tech Pack doesn't really interest me to be honest. I don't see the value in the headup display. I'm sure the standard stereo is fine, and my phone doesn't support wireless charging. The Tech Pack costs £19 a month. I'd need to add privacy glass at a cost of £10 a month and that would tip it over a £xxx limit that I don't really want to go to.

Real world, what's the difference in fuel economy going to be like between the 330i and 320d? At the minute, I get around 40mpg in my diesel GLC as I just drive around the city most of the time. I imagine I'd get 30mpg in the 330i and maybe 45 in the 320d so over 10k miles that's £540 over a year...

I guess I need to go and drive the 320d and 330i back to back.

Man of Honour
The head up display is absolutely exceptional but if you really don't care then the 330i is the obvious choice. It's hardly a V8. You'll get reasonable efficiency out of it.

Associate
As a driver who has moved from saloons/estates to suvs (A6 saloon then A6 avant then A8 then Touareg then Q7) I would say think twice before moving back to a saloon/estate if the entry/exit is any issue.

There is noi doubt the cars drive better than the suvs in terms of handling, etc, but I am now firmly attached to the ease of getting into the car and the comfort of the slightly more sofa like seating position.

Thomas on Autogefuhl YouTube channel mentions this a lot in the German cars.

I would also mention that if I was driving in the city a lot as you mention, then a hybrid would be my choice of 3 series if budget permits.

From your list it would have to be a 330i. It will probably be the last time you get to drive a decently powerful petrol engined car the way the government are going and they are way nicer than the smaller engined diesels.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
HUD is pretty cool, but its not worth the money you pay for it. The HK audio is worth every penny as the standard system is rubbish. The enhanced wireless BT connectivity is worth it, as it allows full functionality over BT iirc. Im moving from a XC60 to a 330e, and getting in and out is no bother, and thats despite me being a cuddly 43 year old with an iffy back!

In terms of options, i like the lumbar support and comfort pack, and the HK audio.

I like the X3, it wasnt bad to drive, but due to the poorer economy i opted for the saloon, the saloon was much more fun to drive.

Man of Honour
You can have the HK and wireless as seperate options on the 3 series.

He's picking a company car, typically options are a pain but they are listed seperately with packs.

This is why the model is listed as follows in the OP:

BMW 3 SERIES DIESEL TOURING 320d MHT M Sport 5dr Step Auto [Tech Pack]

Soldato
OP
To be fair, I can pick options. I’ll be adding the privacy glass at the very least. Lumbar support was tempting, but I'll just put a small pillow in the boot and save the costs!

Indeed, it's a company car but I have ownership so don't need to worry about company car tax. Will phone up the local BMW garage later and try and get a drive in the 330i and the 320d and go from there but the 330 does seem like a no brainer. I'll have a sit in the X3 but don't think it's the one. I'll get a demo of the HUD but from watching some videos it doesn't really do it for me. If the 330e was on the list, I'd be getting that no questions asked but unfortunately it's not.

Thanks for the advice.

Man of Honour
Indeed, it's a company car but I have ownership so don't need to worry about company car tax

I'm not sure this is true either so you need to check this carefully. It doesn't matter if you own the company or not, if the car is provided by the company and you use it personally it's liable?

This would make the 330e something it's well worth trying to get!

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure this is true either so you need to check this carefully. It doesn't matter if you own the company or not, if the car is provided by the company and you use it personally it's liable?

This would make the 330e something it's well worth trying to get!

It 100% does matter who owns the car. If you own the car, then it's not a company car and not taxable. It's quite a unique set up, pretty much only used in the automotive industry.

I'm not actually sure why it's not on the list. In 'normal times' I'd be a high mileage user so assume the company didn't want to offer them. Anyway, I live on a top floor flat with on street parking so not sure where I'd actually ever charge the thing!

Back
Top Bottom