• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When are the RTX 3090 reviews out

Caporegime
I'm starting to think the Nvidia have no real intention of selling any material amount of 3090 units, but rather its exists for a two particular purposes:

1) Marketing - On one hand, it claims the performance crown for Nvidia and manages the risk of AMD edging out the 3080 with RDNA2's performance. On the other, it will become the GPU of choice for extreme OC's on LN, crazy SLI setups etc. by the various YouTubers and thus spread the brand. It also has the whole '8k' GPU attempted marketing going on, despite doubts that it would be any good at that resolution if the leaks are correct.

2) It servers to make the 3080 look even better by comparison and encourages people not to postpone their purchasers whilst awaiting a 3080 Ti (the average consumer logic being that a 3090 must be better than a 3080 Ti/Super, and the performance difference is minimal, so no reason to wait).

This is based on both Gibbo's comment (single-digit stock on launch day), the poor price/performance ratio (being further supported each hour by the review embargo being out of step with even the 3080 last week), and the fact that the high power usage suggests these chips weren't easy to manufacture on Samsung's 8nm, and thus probably aren't making a good return on their biggest chip. I know there are lots of AIB boards available on Ocuk storefront, but I just wonder about this one. Time will tell.

I suspect that they will sell as many as they can with any chips which pass as a 3090 chip as the profit margins are huge.

But we dont know the pass rate. It might be only 1 in 20 chips pass as a 3090 and 19 go out as a 3080. And 3080s arent exactly in plentiful supply. So if there really was only 50,000 3080s available worldwide and the failure rate is 1 in 20 then there will be only 2500 3090s available across the world at launch date.

If Gibbo gets 1% like he did with the 3080s then he will have 25 cards.

If people are prepared to pay 3090 prices, Nvidia will keep making them.

Soldato
I'm starting to think the Nvidia have no real intention of selling any material amount of 3090 units, but rather its exists for a two particular purposes:
I'm sure they don't intend to sell many of the FE models, but they wouldn't have AIB partners bothering to make custom cards if it was just intended to top benchmark charts and barely exist outside of that. The 3090 also uses the same GPU as the 3080 (unlike the last few generations where the x80 card has been a smaller die), so it's not like they're having to manufacture different silicon for it. Yields will be lower with more parts enabled, but there's not some massive gulf between the two in that respect. The margin on the chips that end up in 3090s is obviously going to be huge compared to those that end up in 3080s too.

Associate
It is 2pm tomorrow. What makes you think it isn't??
I assumed its today, nothing made me think it isn't :D anyway I am not surprised, although cant explain why they don't want early reviews, even if its only 5% faster than 3080, all stock would be sold anyway...

Soldato

1) Marketing - On one hand, it claims the performance crown for Nvidia and manages the risk of AMD edging out the 3080 with RDNA2's performance. On the other, it will become the GPU of choice for extreme OC's on LN, crazy SLI setups etc. by the various YouTubers and thus spread the brand. It also has the whole '8k' GPU attempted marketing going on, despite doubts that it would be any good at that resolution if the leaks are correct.

2) It servers to make the 3080 look even better by comparison and encourages people not to postpone their purchasers whilst awaiting a 3080 Ti (the average consumer logic being that a 3090 must be better than a 3080 Ti/Super, and the performance difference is minimal, so no reason to wait).

This is based on both Gibbo's comment (single-digit stock on launch day), the poor price/performance ratio (being further supported each hour by the review embargo being out of step with even the 3080 last week), and the fact that the high power usage suggests these chips weren't easy to manufacture on Samsung's 8nm, and thus probably aren't making a good return on their biggest chip. I know there are lots of AIB boards available on Ocuk storefront, but I just wonder about this one. Time will tell.

There isn't many because a.

1. The yield is bad.
2. They only started mass production in August.

Considering the 3080 is on the same DIE, the margins will be a lot higher on the 3090.. o course they want you to buy it.

Caporegime
I assumed its today, nothing made me think it isn't :D anyway I am not surprised, although cant explain why they don't want early reviews, even if its only 5% faster than 3080, all stock would be sold anyway...

If Gibbo only has 25 cards all stock will be sold before a review even shows!!!!. I reckon 20 seconds before sold out.

Associate
If Gibbo only has 25 cards all stock will be sold before a review even shows!!!!. I reckon 20 seconds before sold out.
That's why I don't understand why NVIDIA wants to hold those reviews :D like it would affect how many of those cards will be sold first day :D Just to annoy costumers? :D

Soldato
There isn't many because a.

1. The yield is bad.
2. They only started mass production in August.

Considering the 3080 is on the same DIE, the margins will be a lot higher on the 3090.. o course they want you to buy it.

Rumour says the yield isn't bad at all they're just artificially limited by Nvidia...

That's why I don't understand why NVIDIA wants to hold those reviews :D like it would affect how many of those cards will be sold first day :D Just to annoy costumers? :D

Because they don't want you to know its a miserable 10-20% over the 3080's performance. Destroys the mystique of these "top" cards. They probably fear it'll cut into day one sales though they'll sell out instantly anyway.

Caporegime
Not a chance in hell, £1049 for the FE easy

there isn’t a 3080 20gb fe, it’s AIB only and yes the. 3080 20gb are rumoured to be $899. That’s $250 more than the 3080 10gb. It is unlikely to have any more cores unlocked or faster. Call it a 3080 20gb. Not an S or ti. Leaves room for a $1200 ti to come later.

Man of Honour
NVidia can not make enough of the 3080 ATM and probably for some time into the future.

We need to forget about NVidia launching any new unannounced cards as they would use the same resources needed to build the 3080 and 3090.

Sorry no extra SKUs from NVidia until production/distribution catches up.

Back
Top Bottom