TSB - Interest Rates on Plus Account now at 0%

Soldato
Great !! A big fat 0% on my savings.

We wanted to let you know that from 2 December 2020, we’re reducing the interest rate on your Plus account from 1.50% AER* to 0% AER.

With the recent reduction in interest rates and the current economic climate, we hope you understand the reasons why it has been necessary to take this decision.
Plus account Your current rate Your rate from 2 December 2020
Interest rate 1.50% AER / 1.49% gross variable 0% AER / gross variable
Paid on balances up to
£1,500

Soldato
Soon be time to ditch that account then.
I've had mine since it was 5% and "We promise this won’t be taken away after a year". Technically, they didn't lie because they took it away before a year :|

There's a few switching bonuses around just now so set up a couple of direct debits on your TSB account, wait until December and switch to either HSBC (£125 bonus), RBS or LLoyds (both £100 bonus)

Soldato
Soon be time to ditch that account then.
I've had mine since it was 5% and "We promise this won’t be taken away after a year". Technically, they didn't lie because they took it away before a year :|

There's a few switching bonuses around just now so set up a couple of direct debits on your TSB account, wait until December and switch to either HSBC (£125 bonus), RBS or LLoyds (both £100 bonus)

Problem with switching is you don't really want to do it with the "main account" as it hits your credit rating, in fact you don't want to do it too much if you can avoid it.

Having an account for a long time is also a positive for your credit rating.

If doing switches I would use a 2nd donor account that wasn't primary one.

Soldato
Problem with switching is you don't really want to do it with the "main account" as it hits your credit rating, in fact you don't want to do it too much if you can avoid it.

Having an account for a long time is also a positive for your credit rating.

If doing switches I would use a 2nd donor account that wasn't primary one.

Yep, you're correct. I use the TSB current account as a savings account and I guess OP is too (as he said he's now getting 0% on his savings) but not everyone will be in the same position. I think most switching bonuses need you to have had the account for at least a year before you can switch so that's why this type of account is perfect for that.

Caporegime
NS&I have also reduced their interest rates too. I’ve gone from 1% (no great but better than most!) to 0.15%. It beats my Halifax BoS saver with an apparently preferential rate of 0.01%!

Soldato
Pay off your mortgage debt is inversely more profitable. 1.5% is likely to be under the rate of value decline for sterling so it should not be though of saving especially.

Only if you know you'll never need the money. It's useful to have an emergency fund - especially in the current climate where a lot of jobs and incomes are not as secure.

Man of Honour
NS&I have also reduced their interest rates too. I’ve gone from 1% (no great but better than most!) to 0.15%. It beats my Halifax BoS saver with an apparently preferential rate of 0.01%!

I just got a update from Barclays my ISA is dropping from 1% to 0.02% or something.

Soldato
All of these banks and other companies that are reducing in credit interest due to the lower BOE rate. Are they also reducing the interest charged on their credit products by the same amount? I'm guessing no.

Caporegime
Invest in gold? if the government push forward with another lock down then in a few years people will probably be using their £50,000,000 notes as toilet paper (assuming loaves of bread are out of stock).

Back
Top Bottom