Anyone else finding it harder and harder to upgrade their mobile phone?

Caporegime
All I want is a better camera.
And a battery that isn't naff

I'm still on an s7!

But I just can't stump up the 1000 cost.
I keep thinking.. My current phone was 200 and I pay 9 a month for the contact.

Id be looking at 40ppm ish just for a better camera? Just can't justify it.

Soldato
I have a Note 9 that's pushing on 2 years old and would normally be looking to "upgrade".

Performance is still fast and responsive, battery life still great and apart from a bit of black paint that's come away from around the stylus port, its still in excellent condition.

I keep looking at S20 offers, One Plus handsets and interested to see what the iPhone 12 will be like but realistically, I don't think I'm going to feel/notice a massive difference. So the cost outlay just isn't worth it.

Can see this being the longest period of handset ownership for me.

Man of Honour
Also used to upgrade every year; Android mainly over the last 10 years but had a year when I went All Apple with an 8+, bought a Note 10+ 5G last year and struggling to see what else I'd need currently - the only thing slightly tempting is the new Galaxy Fold.... if that was cheaper I'd be willing to give it a punt; upgraded my tablet this year instead (S7+ 5G)

Associate
Used to get the latest Android flagships every two years from Sony HTC and Samsung. Have a IPhone 11 now and can see me keeping this longer, was cheaper on EE at the time also than a S20.
Just does everything I need and the battery lasts 1.5 days compared to my S9 which barely made it to 20 hours on medium power saving.
My other half has the S20 and the battery ain’t much better on that. unplugged at 0500 it’s on 54% when she gets in from work at 1700.

Associate
You know what. Peeps in here might have already discussed this so sorry if its being brought up again but I feel like one of the biggest features that people overlook or well at least rarely discuss is antenna quality. Like the main purpose of a phone is to allow people to communicate & surf the web etc. If we don't have signal we are very limited in what we can then do when we are "offline". I more recently as I have been looking to upgrade is looking into which brands install better quality antenna's into their phones as I travel quite a lot for my job up here in lovely rainy, cold Scotland. I notice that currently with my Huawei I tend to get pretty decent signal in most places. Funnily enough a lot of my colleagues always tend to have limited or no signal. I then decided to try & look into this and apparently in regards to which brands antenna's are said to be of decent quality it was in particular the Note 10 Plus & also the Huawei P30 Pro which were said to have some of the best antenna's.

Any thoughts?

Associate
You know what. Peeps in here might have already discussed this so sorry if its being brought up again but I feel like one of the biggest features that people overlook or well at least rarely discuss is antenna quality. Like the main purpose of a phone is to allow people to communicate & surf the web etc. If we don't have signal we are very limited in what we can then do when we are "offline". I more recently as I have been looking to upgrade is looking into which brands install better quality antenna's into their phones as I travel quite a lot for my job up here in lovely rainy, cold Scotland. I notice that currently with my Huawei I tend to get pretty decent signal in most places. Funnily enough a lot of my colleagues always tend to have limited or no signal. I then decided to try & look into this and apparently in regards to which brands antenna's are said to be of decent quality it was in particular the Note 10 Plus & also the Huawei P30 Pro which were said to have some of the best antenna's.

Any thoughts?

Huawei have always had 'better signal' strength. It's one of the pros of Huawei handsets.

Associate

Any thoughts?
I have a Samsung M31 and the signal isn't as good as on my old Samsung A5 2017.

Associate
I have a Samsung M31 and the signal isn't as good as on my old Samsung A5 2017.
Yeah mate cant speak for all Samsung devices though, I would believe better and more expensive parts are used in the likes of the Note series which is why it was maybe said to be one of the better phones out there with better antenna quality. I guess in your situation maybe the A series was the more focused series therefore would have had better selected parts. I could be wrong but I'm just going by some research I've done & also the opinion of some others online.

Caporegime
Still rocking my Galaxy S7. I find most newer phones are terrible value for money and I was considering an S10 but they’re out of stock on Sky now and unlikely to be replaced. And I don’t believe it when I look at some midrange phones and hey have a lower res screen in some aspects despite having a bigger overall screen size. And no headphone Jack is an issue too. I’m minded to keep it until it dies.

Looking at a Galaxy A71 4G.

Last edited:
Soldato
There was an interesting youtube video comparing a 2nd hand OnePlus 7 Pro with the current flagships. With the exception of the camera which let it down a bit, you'd have to be mad to buy a new flagship.

I LOVE the whole no-notch screen. I very rarely use the pop up camera so would far rather have the uninterrupted screen space.

Soldato
I'm pretty stuck on Apple, but there's a few things I want before I upgrade from my 8+.

Better battery - I think this is gonna be the next big jump. I'd also like to see phones recharge off movement and light. This will happen eventually.

Better waterproofing - I know they're supposed to be waterproof, but I know a fella who runs a repair shop. He says they all leak. As soon they get to be old enough, he gets every phone in with water damage.

Better robustness - I'm not arsed about slick materials and looks really. I want a phone that I don't feel the need to keep in a case and put a screen protector on.

USB C.

Associate
I've been looking into potential upgrades over the last few weeks or so and I've been tempted by the Huawei P30 Pro as its the last model to be supported & be allowed to operate with google services etc. My only issue is that in terms of security updates & in general future updates to future android versions can and may stop in the future aka you'd be stuck on android 10 currently. I just at the same time have looked at other brands and they all seem to have ups & downs and I'm just unsure as I feel there is soo many options but everyone seems to at some point **** on other phone brands for one thing or another.

Associate
Went from a Galaxy S7 to S10 after a number of years, no reason to change for the foreseeable future as I can't see what else I'd need in a phone.

Associate
Went from a Galaxy S7 to S10 after a number of years, no reason to change for the foreseeable future as I can't see what else I'd need in a phone.
I've actually considered the note 10+ as its now the current gen - 1 which means really it should come down in price & from what I've heard its a really good phone but still when I have looked into this some people still complain about it. Some say its got amazing battery some say its not got great battery and its knowing who to listen to. I just don't want to go spend upwards of £800 + to find out there are far better deals out there.

Associate
I only change now when the battery packs in.
Understandable and I've kind of been the same. I'm only looking to upgrade as I use my phone (Huawei Mate 10 Pro) a lot for work (taking photos, making phone calls etc) and my battery can be under 50% by before lunch time hits (12ish) but this is because the phones nearly 3 years old & has been heavily used over those 3 years so loads of charging cycles have of course affected the battery capacity.

Back
Top Bottom