• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
It's a great card, 16gbs hbm very nice. Under water with 2ghz clock even nicer

Perhaps you could call my defending the card purchase justification as my current GPU is a 7 :) To be fair for what I do there isn't really a better card for me right now. I would like the full fat mi60 but im not sure I could fire up a game after work on one of those :)

Soldato
Comparing a 60 CU GCN card to RDNA 2 is actually more favourable in perf terms imo.
So you're fudging the numbers? You're using an incorrect basis to make your calculations to give more "favourable" comparisons? No, using the known quantity that is RDNA 1 gives more "favourable" comparisons because it's more accurate.
the Radeon VII itself was not designed for Compute, it's a gaming GPU.
And this is where I stop. If you don't even know what a Radeon VII is then there's little point in continuing the discussion.

Caporegime
If it's true that RDNA 2 is 60% increase performance per watt per CU.
:eek::eek:

That would put the 6700 on par with a 2080ti
6800 would be faster then a 3080
6900 would beat a 3090

And the 6900 is rumoured to be available at 499..
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7529...vi-21-gpu-with-16gb-could-cost-499/index.html
what are the chances that amd might have to rebrand Radeon like they had to do with Athlon :D

Choo chooo...... choo chooooooooooooooo!

But what's this? A sharp bend? A cow on the line? Oh the humanity! I can't watch!

Caporegime
I'll take back what i said about the Radeon VII being junk, that's unfair, it is a compute card and a very good one at that. what i should have said was as a repurposed card for gaming its a long way behind RDNA1.

Soldato
I really hope AMD or their partners are ready to get slammed on launch day, and have appropriate steps in place to mitigate botters and scalpers.

3080 launch, ps5 pre orders and yesterday series X pre orders have all been hit hard. I hope they limit cards purchased to 2 per household, with captcha and maybe limit purchasing on the same CC or something
Only real way to do it is to allow pre-orders then give it a week for the team to manually or via script to cancel any orders that are from the same person going to different or the same addresses. You'll be able to flush out a lot of these scalpers and opportunists then.

Oh and allow only 1 card per person.

Permabanned
Unless when you say match the RTX 3080 you're also including stuff like DLSS, then even if the performance now is even I'd say the nvidia ones would age much better as you can just pump that up as things become too demanding.

Maybe but I'm sure AMD are working on their own version of DLSS, it may take them a while to get it right like it did for Nvidia but they know that they'll need something similar to stay in the game going forward.

Associate
Maybe but I'm sure AMD are working on their own version of DLSS, it may take them a while to get it right like it did for Nvidia but they know that they'll need something similar to stay in the game going forward.

Oh I imagine they definitely are seeing how good DLSS 2.0 is... but I wouldn't feel confident getting an AMD gpu (unless it's vastly cheaper for the same performance) if they don't actually have it up and running now so I can see reviewers testing it (and seeing if it's at least comparable to DLSS 1.0, which I heard wasn't all the great, so we know they've made that first step and have got the room to grow there) rather than just hoping it'll pop into existence some time in the future, and might not even be compatible with the card I've bought, if you see what I mean.

Caporegime
Doesnt DLSS exist to give helping compute power for raytracing? As the cards take such a hit without it?

Pub table discussion moment. If AMDs raytracing doesn't jeapoardise FPS in the same ways Nvidias does. Would DLSS even be needed?

Associate
If AMDs raytracing doesn't jeapoardise FPS in the same ways Nvidias does. Would DLSS even be needed?

Raytracing ain't free, the only time it won't be jeapoardising FPS is when (around 2030) games will be ray-tracing only, so no point of reference to compare in terms of lost frame rates.

4k is particularly difficult for ray tracing since it's a lot more pixels.

Associate
Doesnt DLSS exist to give helping compute power for raytracing? As the cards take such a hit without it?

Pub table discussion moment. If AMDs raytracing doesn't jeapoardise FPS in the same ways Nvidias does. Would DLSS even be needed?

If AMD can pull off RT with no dedicated hardware and no hit to FPS, it'll be nothing short of a miracle.
(DLSS is more widely applicable than just raytracing performance *if* it gets into more games)

Associate

It's a neural model that upscales a low res frame buffer.. the upscaling is done at a global level..

so you could have some parts of the framebuffer downscaled from a higher resolution as well atleast theoretically but the model ensures that, overall, the frame buffer is created using lesser pixels.

Nvidia trains the model offline (as it requires labelled data, IQ being a subjective human input) and then releases estimated parameters through driver updates. DLSS is thus independent of RT or DX12.

But, the tech might not be scalable if Nvidia has to maintain different models for different games. How exactly the neural model interacts with the rendering pipeline can only be understood by reading boring white papers.

Soldato
You are right to point that out. Unfortunately, we don't know how well RDNA gen 1 compares with RDNA gen 2. No one from AMD, Microsoft, Sony or any game developers (that I'm aware of) have given us any idea of the performance benefit.
You have bad memory.
AMD told early this year RDNA2 has 50% increase in performance per watt over RDNA1.

And Radeon VII is bad comparison, because 5700 XT pretty much equals it in performance while having 25% less teraflops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom