So long Uncle Ben...

Caporegime
Can someone explain to me why it was racist? Or offensive? Isn't it just a guy on a packet of rice? I mean I get he was paid little, but did the company even really exist when he was asked? And I assume he agreed, and wasn't forced (which would make sense). But I am confused.

Caporegime
I guess when mars themselves say that 'we listened' and put in their statement the listened to thousands of consumers, shareholders etc there must have been some degree of nebulous 'others' as you put it :rolleyes:

Mars can easily ignore it. It's entirely in the company's hands and they chose to take the opportunity presented to them for some easy advertising. (Also, Mars has billions of consumers, what arcane power does a few thousand of them have?)

If people wish to disagree for whatever reason, then not purchasing the product is the only avenue that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Can someone explain to me why it was racist? Or offensive? Isn't it just a guy on a packet of rice? I mean I get he was paid little, but did the company even really exist when he was asked? And I assume he agreed, and wasn't forced (which would make sense). But I am confused.

because apparently it leans into the racist way that slave owners would call their elderly slaves “uncle” instead of Mr. This is according to what I read earlier.

Associate
I reckon the only people outraged by this are those who don't even buy Uncle Ben's products but looking for things to be angry about

Soldato
next to go - the best stuff ... love it.

50375262318_14bd1cd613_z_d.jpg

Frankly I'd, moreover think twice about buying any Dyson products, for his political brexit views.

apparently there was a colonel sanders on both sides, during the civil war, who hadn't made that connection ?, thought he was exclusively a confederate

Soldato
Then why didn't they follow through until the ruckus in 2020? Because twitter/facebook wasn't a powerful thing yet.

Why didn't they follow through with their attempt to unsuccessfully move away from the problematic overtones of their brand? Because it was unsuccessful?

Do you need a guidebook to lead you to the next thing to get annoyed about and point a finger at "woke" people who are "outraged about anything"?

V F

V F

Soldato
Why didn't they follow through with their attempt to unsuccessfully move away from the problematic overtones of their brand? Because it was unsuccessful?

Do you need a guidebook to lead you to the next thing to get annoyed about and point a finger at "woke" people who are "outraged about anything"?

Who's getting annoyed?

Back
Top Bottom