Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
OP
This sounds good. Can easily queue the game up and download it whilst waiting for Amazon to deliver it. :p

Xbox has a new feature that allows you to download and install any game, even if you don't own it. For example if you have ordered a disc version of the game you will be able to preload the game before your disc arrives. Meaning you can play the game the moment you insert the disc.

Soldato
How does that work?

The disc is your license, or "CD Key", so to speak.

You can download anything you like from the store. But you can only play it by purchasing a digital copy, or inserting a disc with a valid license.

Makes a lot of sense really, given all of the pieces were already in place to make this happen.

Soldato
Just thinking this through, does this mean the amazing DRM stuff they announced with X1 is back? It must be for this to work? If the disc is the key, there must be a way to relinquish that key so the disc can be traded in / borrowed etc.

The X1 DRM system was brilliant, such a shame the internet overreacted and the rolled over. This must mean it’s back?

Soldato
Does anyone know with Xbox All Access if I were to get a Series X, can I pay it all off whenever I wanted or will I be stuck to the two year plan?

7. Early Repayment
You have the right to repay all or part of the credit early at any time at no extra cost. We will let you know the balance outstanding upon request.

Full terms here: https://cdn.klarna.com/1.0/shared/content/legal/terms/0/en_gb/account_agreement

Also if you are using interest bearing credit and pay off early, they will remove the outstanding interest from your calculated settlement figure. Your settlement figure will always be lower than what your statements say you owe as your statements are calculated on the full loan period and include all interest.

Pet Northerner
Don
Just thinking this through, does this mean the amazing DRM stuff they announced with X1 is back? It must be for this to work? If the disc is the key, there must be a way to relinquish that key so the disc can be traded in / borrowed etc.

The X1 DRM system was brilliant, such a shame the internet overreacted and the rolled over. This must mean it’s back?

No not really, the system for an installed game will look for 1 of 2 things:

1. A Digital license tied to the account (gamepass or purchase)
2. A real disk for the game

The disks themselves won;t be anything but that.

Soldato
No not really, the system for an installed game will look for 1 of 2 things:

1. A Digital license tied to the account (gamepass or purchase)
2. A real disk for the game

The disks themselves won;t be anything but that.
Ah good point. That’s a shame, was hoping for the return of digital license resale and 3rd party stores. Sounds like an easy attack vector for game duping though?

Soldato
So I just realised there's no optical out on the Series X which is a tad annoying (no idea how I missed that haha) as I still use my ancient Logitech Z-5500. I assume an HDMI / Optical splitter would work OK? I just guess it would need to support 4k60 - anyone else in this situation?

Associate
So I just realised there's no optical out on the Series X which is a tad annoying (no idea how I missed that haha) as I still use my ancient Logitech Z-5500. I assume an HDMI / Optical splitter would work OK? I just guess it would need to support 4k60 - anyone else in this situation?
Hmm - I didn't realise that either, I need optical out for my older receiver, dont want to upgrade that just yet as it meets my needs for now

Associate
I love how Microsoft have been very open with the gaming media, they released the specs early and invited digital foundry for a deep dive and hands on with the system at the start of the year, they detailed a lot of the specs such as vrs, vrr, the velocity memory architecture, auto HDR etc, they where very confident they had the better system while Sony have been very quiet keeping things close to their chest, almost teasing like they had a surprise or secret sauce to unleash....there's still a lot unknown on the PS5 that hasn't been confirmed yet which doesn't look good

Back
Top Bottom