• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Buying jsut because of brand is bad idea in any product.
Asus basically sold scams in B450 boards.
All but one or two boards were unable to feed top CPUs in full 100% all core load without VRM overheating/running very hot.
(Gigabyte only little better)
MSI ruled in B450 boards with only competent VRM for the price sticker.
Again in X570 MSI tried riding on brand reputation and half the range had same B450 copypasta VRM making it completely sub par for the price.
(lot later released X570 Tomahawk is literally only good X570 MSI in their lower half of range)
While Asus and Gigabyte turned ship around.
Asus again screwed up in x570 chipset cooling with design excreted by marketroids.

Also in Radeon 5700 XT Asus cards were crap to mediocre with badly designed coolers.

Soldato
Associate
Do you think that 3 years later Core i7-8700K, AMD will be fine to beat the so old architecture?
I don't think it matters.
Come on, Rocket Lake will come in several months with up to 30% IPC improvement over Comet Lake, and Zen 3 will look like a child and everyone will laugh at it.

You at it again???? Always get a chuckle out of your extremely bias posts

Soldato
I would really love to see intel come right back at AMD with a beastly 32 core 5ghz cpu for sub £500

there’s only one winner if they start going toe to toe with each other for performance crowns

us the consumers

last time intel was on the ropes we got the core series and I’ve just moved my 2600k off daily duties last week in favour of a ryzen 3600x

although that’s just a keeping the x570 mono warm for now until something a bit more beastly comes out

Soldato
You'll be waiting a while, Intel has yet to figure out how to scale up its mesh bus architecture without losing a ton of single core performance compared to its ring bus designs.

you should add MicroLED to your hope list

Permabanned
You'll be waiting a while, Intel has yet to figure out how to scale up its mesh bus architecture without losing a ton of single core performance compared to its ring bus designs.

you should add MicroLED to your hope list

Ring bus is good up to 10-core, so Rocket Lake with its 8 cores will or should still be with ring bus topology

Caporegime
I would really love to see intel come right back at AMD with a beastly 32 core 5ghz cpu for sub £500

there’s only one winner if they start going toe to toe with each other for performance crowns

us the consumers

last time intel was on the ropes we got the core series and I’ve just moved my 2600k off daily duties last week in favour of a ryzen 3600x

although that’s just a keeping the x570 mono warm for now until something a bit more beastly comes out
Intel are basically on a slump until H2 2021/H1 2022 by which time they will have outsourced their CPU production for their new designs and come back swinging. In the meantime, Tiger Lake will claw back some notebook share, especially as integrated GPU performance as well as program acceleration is very impressive. It's a shame they don't have 8-core designs ready at launch though.

It's all swings and roundabouts and AMD really have benefitted from this Intel rut, so I hope they can maintain their momentum as Intel recover their wits and start to ramp up the pressure again.

Associate

"As an engineer, genuine clock-for-clock performance gains get me excited. Unfortunately Tiger Lake doesn't deliver much on this front, and in some cases, we see regressions due to the rearranged cache depending on the workload used. This metric ignores power - but power is the metric on which Tiger Lake wins. Intel hasn't really been wanting to talk about the raw clock-for-clock performance, and perhaps understandably so (from a pure end-user product point of view at any rate)."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16084/intel-tiger-lake-review-deep-dive-core-11th-gen/19

Last edited:
Caporegime
As an engineer, genuine clock-for-clock performance gains get me excited. Unfortunately Tiger Lake doesn't deliver much on this front, and in some cases, we see regressions due to the rearranged cache depending on the workload used. This metric ignores power - but power is the metric on which Tiger Lake wins. Intel hasn't really been wanting to talk about the raw clock-for-clock performance, and perhaps understandably so (from a pure end-user product point of view at any rate).

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16084/intel-tiger-lake-review-deep-dive-core-11th-gen/19
It is competitive in performance with Zen2 (besides the core count), more so in the instances with the new accelerated program performance, and it has notably better integrated graphics performance. That is all Intel need at the moment to get some breathing space and they still of course have the premium ultrabook market tied up for this year with Thunderbolt 4. 8 core Tiger Lake will come early next year I believe.

Associate
With high probability it won't - the delta is 25%.

Top bin against the Ryzen 7 2700X is 68%. :eek: :confused:

Ryzen is broken in gaming. This architecture simply is wrong for this.
Note 2700X to 3700X improved 31% in that chart. And they weren't trying to improve gaming specifically with Zen 2.

Soldato
Buying jsut because of brand is bad idea in any product.
Asus basically sold scams in B450 boards.
All but one or two boards were unable to feed top CPUs in full 100% all core load without VRM overheating/running very hot.
(Gigabyte only little better)
MSI ruled in B450 boards with only competent VRM for the price sticker.
Again in X570 MSI tried riding on brand reputation and half the range had same B450 copypasta VRM making it completely sub par for the price.
(lot later released X570 Tomahawk is literally only good X570 MSI in their lower half of range)
While Asus and Gigabyte turned ship around.
Asus again screwed up in x570 chipset cooling with design excreted by marketroids.

Also in Radeon 5700 XT Asus cards were crap to mediocre with badly designed coolers.

Hi, never had any issues with them in the 20 years going through builds thats probably one of the reasons, another thing do they all come with chipset fans ? feels like its step backwards I know they can be speed controlled and stated 60,000 working hours

found it being sold for £200
looked at reviews its one of the best VRM temps right up with boards costing much more will probably go with it depending how good zen 3 is

Last edited:
Associate
Getting kind of worried that we haven't had such basic info as final base and boost clocks leaked for any SKU with only 2 weeks left to proper announcement (I would expect Lisa's slideshow to have this info anyway). This is making me doubt an October launch. Surely somewhere at the box assembly line some Taiwanese worker has checked the labels by now and can't help but type out the specs.

Since we haven't had any BS leaks to talk about and crap on for awhile, I'll keep it moving. Chinese site "Umiko's Hardware" says X670 will ship with Zen 3: https://twitter.com/unikoshardware/status/1307021576521605121

I love archiving this crap cause when it turns out false you can bad mouth them so easily and see what mental gymnastics they come up with to somehow make it look like they were right.

Another patent was found: https://www.reddit.com/r/realAMD/comments/ivgnpz/new_amd_patent_adaptive_cache_reconfiguration_via/

Last edited:
Soldato
With high probability it won't - the delta is 25%.

Top bin against the Ryzen 7 2700X is 68%. :eek: :confused:

Ryzen is broken in gaming. This architecture simply is wrong for this.

Oh tosh, at least talk objectively instead of making random statements up.

The uplift between the 2700x and the 3700x is 31.4% there. The difference from the 3700x to the 10900k is 28.2%.

If you took the same 31.4% for the 4700x or whatever it will be called that would give you 60fps whihc would be exactly where the 10900k is. This is without really having any perfomance gains directed at gaming. I would honestly expect a higher uplift this time around for AMD tbh in these specific scenarios.

Soldato
Anyone got a 4650G yet, I'm waiting for stock everywhere..
Side by side with the 3400G is what I'm interested in as its going into a server the GPU side is of no use to me, a single GPU core would do, just have to weigh the cost of the 4650 and its 2 extra cores with the 3400g see if its worth it..

Caporegime
@4K8KW10 What do you make of this?

The same Zen 2 core at the same 4.4Ghz with the only difference being the 3100 is split 2x2 CCX while the 3300X is a single CCX. , so the same cores having a unified L3 instead of split gains 15% performance in games and puts it just a couple of % behind the same 4 core 8 threads layout 7700K at 5.1Ghz, so a 13% higher IPC.

Zen 3 will all have a unified L3 Cache.

ViJVP77.png

Caporegime
i never get why people say its faster per cycle and whatever arguement. a cpu maybe better at the same clock but if the other one can run at a higher speed it means nothing !

that benchmark just shows that despite advancements amd have up until the next cpus failed to take on even old gen cpus. 7700k handing the ass to top of the range current cpus. roll on october so finally amd can do something properly and not have to have to rely on amd shills to try and lie for them. :p just let the products do the talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom