BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Ah the discussion was about the ix3 vs a cheaper model y
People don’t care about performance so they will possibly buy the slower car for more money, apparently.

Entirely possible they will if the iX3 feels like an electrified premium vehicle and the Tesla feels like another tech demo with a half arsed interior and some marketing fluff about why you only get seats and screen.

The vast vast majority of people do not buy their cars on a price vs performance ratio above all other considerations. They may also consider space, styling, quality, perceived quality, familiarity, comfort, support network, a dealer who brings them a coffee etc. etc. etc.

Soldato
Entirely possible they will if the iX3 feels like an electrified premium vehicle and the Tesla feels like another tech demo with a half arsed interior and some marketing fluff about why you only get seats and screen.

The vast vast majority of people do not buy their cars on a price vs performance ratio above all other considerations. They may also consider space, styling, quality, perceived quality, familiarity, comfort, support network, a dealer who brings them a coffee etc. etc. etc.

yeah this is true, the BMW dealer network is the envy of many, and BMWs which are pitched as the ultimate driving machine are never about performance :D

serously though I guess we will see how well they sell.

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah this is true, the BMW dealer network is the envy of many, and BMWs which are pitched as the ultimate driving machine are never about performance :D

serously though I guess we will see how well they sell.

I agree with you in that on paper, the BMW looks overpriced and underpowered. The point is, people don't make objective decisions, they make emotional ones. For some that may be about speed (Tesla will win, there), for others as Kenai says, it'll be about perceived quality, retailer experience, familiarity and comfort - BMW will win in lots of those other areas.

Man of Honour
Other than the tiny amount of people who have opted for an M40i I can't imagine even 10% of X3 buyers are all that bothered about how fast it is. It isn't isn't that sort of car.

The issue with the iX3 is the price, not the performance.

Soldato
this is the UK price -
the germans have what a 9Keuro ev bonus, to subtract, plus bmw have to start figuring a brexit no-deal bonanza into price, Nissan were sayin they've been hedging that,
the chancellor could collect 20% isn't it, to subsidise the plug-in-grant.

Soldato
Other than the tiny amount of people who have opted for an M40i I can't imagine even 10% of X3 buyers are all that bothered about how fast it is. It isn't isn't that sort of car.

The issue with the iX3 is the price, not the performance.
Don’t forget people don’t care about performance because it costs more to buy and more to run.
Only a few enthusiasts are willing to take the burden for additional performance.

I’m fully expecting their i4 I think it is to get to 60 in under 5s as that is that type of car

Soldato
Don’t forget people don’t care about performance because it costs more to buy and more to run.
Only a few enthusiasts are willing to take the burden for additional performance.
I'm not sure that's always true. There are plenty of people who just won't care about performance full stop. If they could get into a brand they're familiar with and the quality is higher, they will - even if the performance is lower.

Soldato
I'm not sure that's always true. There are plenty of people who just won't care about performance full stop. If they could get into a brand they're familiar with and the quality is higher, they will - even if the performance is lower.
Yeah I guess this is true, it’s the value proposition for each person at the end of the day.

Soldato
The purchasers do usually care what the market thinks the depreciation will be, a low residual, or, high cost PCP.
ev's could be the wild west in terms of rapid evolution, and obsolescence.

Soldato
Finally found a non-tatty E60 M5 in the colour I wanted and with the 'essential' work done - I must be allergic to money :p
A few cosmetic issues to sort, but in absolutely perfect mechanical condition as far as I can tell, with zero issues showing on the fancy-pants diagnostics kit I bought for the 530d.

81,000 miles, crank shells and VANOS solenoids / line done, A/C still lovely and cold and most importantly... the parking sensors work! :D
Slightly annoying that the alloys were freshly refurbished, but shod with Accelera tyres - those rolled away to a bin in a distant galaxy to be replaced with some Goodyear Eagle F1s.

Needs a wash, but I thought she deserved a decent plate given what an absolutely heroically capable machine she really is!
'Ring trip already being planned, and although the MPG is absolutely shocking (of course) I'm utterly convinced it's worth every penny.

Updates when it rinses me dry incoming, I'm sure :p

Transmission breaker
Don
Had a bit of an issue with the 750i the other day, water came in through the headlining, and stained the interior a bit. The Sunroof drains were not able to cope with the massive deluge we had, and demonstrated clearly that they were not working as they should!

750irooflining1.jpg

750irooflining2.jpg

750irooflining3.jpg

750irooflining4.jpg

750irooflining5.jpg

750irooflining6.jpg

I was away and had very little in the way of tools, so ended up just prodding the holes a lot, and not really making much in the way of progress. However, once at home, with my full tools, i found that they hide the drains behind the wheel arch liners. So whipped them off, pulled off the ends, and cleaned it up in there. Lots of junk came out, but they were not draining well (i must have looked very odd as I was pouring screenwash into my open sunroof) no matter what I did.

So in the end, I hooked a hose up to the outlet in the lower arch, poured a load of screenwash into it, and BLEW it as hard as I could up the tube. LOTS of junk came out, and made a little mess of the interior, but it then drained perfectly! I cleaned up the area, then did the same to the other side, and now I can pour away till my hearts content, and it drains out of the arches perfectly :D

The interior had tide lines all over all the pillars and main liner, especially around the vanity mirrors, and around the sunroof itself. A little scrubbing with the SIMPLY AMAZING Autoglym interior shampoo brought them right back in no time :D

750irooflining7.jpg

750irooflining8.jpg

750irooflining9.jpg

750irooflining10.jpg

It was still drying out in a couple of places after being cleaned, but you can see the improvement!!

Did this a little while ago now, but decided to post it up today. If you have a sunroof on an older car, check the drains! Save yourself the stress and hassle!

Transmission breaker
Don
I had used it before on another car, but this was particularly good this time around.
Sadly, whilst on Holiday, a chap reversed his caravan into the drivers door :(

750iDOORoops.jpg

Its being whisked off for assessment/repair on the 30th.

Soldato
Finally found a non-tatty E60 M5 in the colour I wanted and with the 'essential' work done - I must be allergic to money :p
A few cosmetic issues to sort, but in absolutely perfect mechanical condition as far as I can tell, with zero issues showing on the fancy-pants diagnostics kit I bought for the 530d.

81,000 miles, crank shells and VANOS solenoids / line done, A/C still lovely and cold and most importantly... the parking sensors work! :D
Slightly annoying that the alloys were freshly refurbished, but shod with Accelera tyres - those rolled away to a bin in a distant galaxy to be replaced with some Goodyear Eagle F1s.

Needs a wash, but I thought she deserved a decent plate given what an absolutely heroically capable machine she really is!
'Ring trip already being planned, and although the MPG is absolutely shocking (of course) I'm utterly convinced it's worth every penny.

Updates when it rinses me dry incoming, I'm sure :p
I don't understand people buying performance cars then running them on a shoe string especially what I'd argue is the most important safety part.

Soldato
I'm not sure what makes that electric X3 "underpowered". Underpowered for what? It will accelerate to the national speed limit faster than the traffic will usually allow, and will no doubt cruise happily at motorway speeds.

A 1940's Morris Minor could probably be described as underpowered. An X3 with not far off 300 BHP can't.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure what makes that electric X3 "underpowered". Underpowered for what? It will accelerate to the national speed limit faster than the traffic will usually allow, and will no doubt cruise happily at motorway speeds.

A 1940's Morris Minor could probably be described as underpowered. An X3 with not far off 300 BHP can't.

Any car that doesn't do 0-60 in 3 seconds like a Tesla is underpowered and rubbish.

Soldato
Well I’m sorry to say I went ahead and bought the worst SUV in the market and picked it up yesterday.

It’s a X3M Competition MY21 car which was built mid-august in Black Sapphire with Adelaide Grey Merino leather interior. It came with the Comfort Pack which adds Steering Wheel Heating, Comfort Access, Rear Seat Back Adjustment and extended storage, along with Sun protection glass, heated front and rear seats and the enhance Bluetooth with wireless charging. Other than that, the car has the rather generous basic spec, including blind spot monitor, Harman Kardon surround system, Icon Adaptive LED lights etc.

So far, I am chuffed to bits with it. I don’t know if it being a MY21 car, which bought the ID7 system and a few other changes to the car, but the ride is nothing like what was suggested in the reviews. Its firm but not bone crushing by any stretch of the imagination and is more than comfortable enough for day to day use.

The seats are brilliant, I am hugely impressed with the ID7 system with it being very simple to use and it now has both wireless CarPlay and wireless Android Auto included. Both of these seem to share details to the dash and the HUD which is a nice new feature.

In terms of how the car drives, the amount of power is huge, the car pulls quite happily at low speed and once over 3000 rpm takes off. The gearbox works very well in conjunction with the engine and the AWD system adds a lot of confidence to the drive without taking over. To be honest without know you’d probably not know that it was AWD.

The interior build quality is superb and it’s a bit shorter than the XF it replaces but interior space is better and more suited to my needs now.

I’ve put the service pack on it as that’s reasonable value as it’ll need a running service at 1200 miles and then it covers 2 more services after that.

Overall, I’m really really pleased and would recommend anybody who is maybe after something like it to have a proper look and if they can a drive. I’ve been very surprised and extremely happy with the decision given what else I was looking at.

Back
Top Bottom