What retro things have you done today?

Permabanned
I saw one sold recently for £65 so I will bid that and see...

Been off work again today and still cannot get a covid test so used my time to play DK and TTD on the 166.

I do need to clean this area up really :D

Damn! I remember those speakers well. I had a set for years the day they got released. I also had the creative pebble ones and also another set which I am trying to think of, they where 2.1 though not 2.0.

Soldato
Decent looking collection here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUGE-JOB...PLE-DELL-PACKARD-BELL-LENOVO-ETC/114421459735

Pentium Pro Machine, Couple of PII Machines, Couple of P4 machines, as well as a couple of more modern but desirable cases (Lian-Li and CM Stacker)
Any of us local to that? Looks a really good haul!

Damn! I remember those speakers well. I had a set for years the day they got released. I also had the creative pebble ones and also another set which I am trying to think of, they where 2.1 though not 2.0.

I cannot praise these speakers enough. I have always had huge soundsystems on my PCs and always had subwoofers... But since my PC is now tucked under the stairs in the lounge I had to get something more realistic... These little things still fill the house when asked to!

Permabanned
I cannot praise these speakers enough. I have always had huge soundsystems on my PCs and always had subwoofers... But since my PC is now tucked under the stairs in the lounge I had to get something more realistic... These little things still fill the house when asked to!

Yep I know! it's why I had them. They lasted the whole duration as well for about 6 years I had them.

Soldato
The FS Dual Pentium 4 PC is now actually usable with replacement fans. It does have an annoying issue where the front and rear 120mm fans kick in when the CPUs, or something, reaches a certain temperature, but when they do kick in they pulse every couple of seconds and it sounds fairly annoying. I've now set the temperature threshold quite high (56c) so that they only kick in when really needed. Quite happy for my dumb 7600GS to just melt tbh!

I'm currently installing spotify, on youtube and have a couple of other tabls open and it's still reasonably snappy and responsive, on Windows 7. I guess this is the beauty of dual CPU set ups!

GfT6J3vh.jpg

Now it's time for Crysis, obviously.

Soldato
It's one big, dual dual channel (or something) eight slot board, so yeah it's limited to this iWill board, or perhaps the chipset. It's got 4GB in it supposedly but only 3.5GB are seen even in the BIOS. I'm beginning to think this is because the CPU and platform can't do 64bit instructions so the CPU can't address all the RAM regardless of what OS is installed.

I think it's a standard EATX case and motherboard. The front panel header is non standard pin out but if your case has separate pwr, rst, HDD/msg LEDs then you could set it up fine.

I am not sure if the ATX connector is standard or not and im not going to try it out!

£10 for a ss7 board and a GeForce Quantum Fireball (whatever the hell that is) is a great buy, enjoy! Standard ATX connector and a cr2032 aswell

Soldato
Today's been a fun day of Windows 7 takes an age to boot up and throwing up an error about service event something being unable to start upon reaching the desktop. I tried manually running the service, disabling it completely, doing a few guides online to get it reactivated etc but it didn't fix the issue. As I can't seem to boot from the IDE HDD in XP, I decided to put a CF card into one of the IDE slots and use that as a bootable C: drive and installed XP on it, keeping the 160GB IDE drive as E: storage and installed everything else onto it. However the CF card was incredibly slow in XP with tasks that usually take a minute or two (e.g. installing Audigy 2 drivers) taking about 15 minutes. I did however track down proper i860 drivers from FS for the chipset, ATA100 Storage and the built in Audio.

So I'm now back onto Windows 7 and I'm downloading all the updates I can before I install too much to see if it does its weird 10 minute boot Service Event Thingy failed to start. Even if it does, I might just leave it if it isn't affecting too much else.

Caporegime
Associate
If I'm honest, didn't think I'd win it at a tenner. Kinda regret it now hahaha. Going to keep the AST computers and the beige cases, but I think they rest of the stuff I will probably take to the tip as it's of no interest to me.

Back
Top Bottom