• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the RTX 3090 a rip off for £1,400?

Soldato
I don’t think it’s a rip of if you want the best and are going to take full advantage. It’s still the fastest card currently available and people WILL buy them. They will be sold out just as fast as the 3080’s were.

At the end of the day it’s a 4k and above card. You are going to get really minimal gains over a 3080 at say 1080p/1440p as the spec difference is quite minimal other than memory speed and quantity. It’s like comparing the Titan RTX to the 2080Ti spec’d wise.

I hope people don’t buy them to run 1080p :o.

Soldato
If you think £1400 a rip off wait to you see what prices they really sell for :D:D:D

Was going to say.

After the 3080 launch I wouldn't be surprised if the 3090 ended up selling closer to £2000 than £1400 if the same thing happens.

It's almost a guarantee that someone out there will be running a 9900K/3900X + based system with a 3090 and a 1080P TN monitor that's 8 years old.

I've come across such people in the past.

Soldato
Am kind of expecting to see the top AIB prices for £1800 plus :(:mad:

That's my guess tbh.

The very top tier 'Overclockers' cards like the Kingpin will probably be around £2000.

I've heard a bunch of conspiracy theories regarding Nvidia releasing limited stock on purpose to push prices up, it's the sort of thing I normally ignore but at the same time I don't believe for a moment that Nvidia didn't expect demand to be as high as it is. That of course being the claim from Nvidia and outlets like OCUK.

Caporegime
That's my guess tbh.

The very top tier 'Overclockers' cards like the Kingpin will probably be around £2000.

I've heard a bunch of conspiracy theories regarding Nvidia releasing limited stock on purpose to push prices up, it's the sort of thing I normally ignore but at the same time I don't believe for a moment that Nvidia didn't expect demand to be as high as it is. That of course being the claim from Nvidia and outlets like OCUK.

there is a massive difference between not expecting the demand that there was but then thinking having 5000 cards ready worldwide was enough.

Permabanned
If I get one in a few months once it all calms down it will be the FE but need to try do some guesswork/homework and see if they will release 3080Ti and 3090Ti's in a year.

Soldato
I've heard a bunch of conspiracy theories regarding Nvidia releasing limited stock on purpose to push prices up, it's the sort of thing I normally ignore but at the same time I don't believe for a moment that Nvidia didn't expect demand to be as high as it is.
It is possible that Nvidia genuinely weren't expecting the demand, as they thought the mining demand that helped drive sales of the 1000 and 2000 series was dead.

Caporegime
It is possible that Nvidia genuinely weren't expecting the demand, as they thought the mining demand that helped drive sales of the 1000 and 2000 series was dead.

yeah but even if you went back and thought the demand would only be like the 9 or 7 series, you would need to make more than 5000 worldwide.

clearly they were forced to do an almost paper launch before AMD and the consoles in order to grab pre orders

Soldato
That's my guess tbh.

Plus pushing Nvidias stock price up at the same time as trying to buy ARM!

Associate
A bargain? On what planet is that a bargain?

I suppose people who game on £300 gpus don't really enjoy it eh.

I'm actually convinced people who buy £1400 gpus dont actually enjoy gaming that much. They just enjoy benchmarking.[/QUOT

i hardly bench after 10 minutes.

My 2080ti has played over 2000 hrs of total war warhammer 2 . I play loads of games hence the hrs vs price is to me a bargain

Associate
. You are going to get really minimal gains over a 3080 at say 1080p/1440p as the spec difference is quite minimal other than memory speed and quantity.

The nvidia blog post now published says 10-15% increase at 4k.

Looks like it's really not worth it for gamers.

or 4k it seems!

ne0

ne0

Associate
I don't think you can really call it a rip off as no one is going to be 'duped' into buying it. They know what they're getting.

If you mean rip off in terms of power to performance then yeah 100% it's a rip off, same as the 2080ti was.

Soldato
I don't think you can really call it a rip off as no one is going to be 'duped' into buying it. They know what they're getting.

If you mean rip off in terms of power to performance then yeah 100% it's a rip off, same as the 2080ti was.

At least the 2080Ti was some 30-40% faster than the 2080 at 4k. The 3090 is looking like 10% which for twice the price doesn’t sit right with me.

Soldato
At least the 2080Ti was some 30-40% faster than the 2080 at 4k. The 3090 is looking like 10% which for twice the price doesn’t sit right with me.

Either the market voted down the 2080Ti's value offering or Nvidia is really afraid of AMD. (Maybe a little of both)

The 2080Ti provided the kind of performance uplift over the last generation that we previously got at the last gen's price points....only they blew out the price point in almost comical fashion.

Generationally speaking, the 3090 does to the 2080Ti what the 2080Ti did to the 1080Ti. It offers more performance than last gen for more money...only it offers a bigger performance jump over the 2080Ti than the 2080Ti offered over the 1080Ti, and it jacks the price up less than the 2080Ti did over the 1080Ti.

Man of Honour

It is a halo card - if you are worried about VFM they aren't for you ;) thing is the x80 cards of late had turned into nVidia selling mid-range cards under top tier model numbers and top tier prices - having the x80 back on a higher end core and nearer higher end performance at a more reasonable price is a good thing (or at least at that price point as that aspect hasn't really changed much).

Soldato

Anyone with any sense will see this. 10% wouldn't even be noticeable. The 3080 at £649 makes much more sense. I'm really most interested to see what AMD bring it and how that affects the perception of Nvidia's pricing.

Back
Top Bottom