• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3080 gigabyte gaming OC stuttering and coil whine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Hey everyone,

Looking for advice on my rtx 3080 gigabyte gaming OC.

I know I am certainly lucky to be one of the first to have received an RTX 3080 which makes this slightly harder as if I were to RMA the card, I am not optimistic that a replacement card will be provided quick!

To quickly outline the problem:

When launching a game and playing for the first couple of minutes, I experience some stuttering and albeit it's not game breaking at all but definitely annoying.

The stuttering is also triggered by small tasks and usually when they occur for the first time. For example, in the Witcher 3 the game stutters for the first minute of playing and it seems to occur whilst the map loads new textures/areas of the map, and in any session, using my first sign when playing the game (e.g. igni) will always cause a stutter but will never stutter thereafter after the first sign is used.

The stutter is also brought about by other small things, like whenever I open the map in Control, my game stutters crazy whilst the map loads in and out (fps dropping from 100 to 20 for a second when the map is loaded in and out), which is infuriating considering that Control is a game where I have to open the map pretty often!

Thus far, it seems this stuttering occurs in all games I have tested so far, but get triggered by different things. Strangely, when testing Heaven benchmark, the stutters occur in the exact same scene and times which highlights that something is triggering these stutters.

On top of the stuttering, my card has some very significant coil whine which on its own wouldn't bother me that much, but whenever a stutter occurs, the coil whine noise stops simultaneously and starts as soon as the stutter finishes. This makes the coil whine very annoying and makes it even more excruciating when my game stutters. I am somewhat worried that stuttering may be more problematic in certain games so I am feeling uneasy about the issue.

I guess what I am asking members, is would you get the card RMA'd? Do other RTX 3080 owners experience the same issues (in particular, gigabyte gaming OC owners if there are some around)? Are these likely to be driver issues provided that the card is so new?

Would appreciate any help with this and insights as to what I should do.

My specs:

CPU : Ryzen 3700x
RAM : DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000 Mhz
PSU : EVGA 850w GQ

I also play on a Samsung 860 EVO SSD

Soldato
Hmmm, not got a 3000 series (yet!) so can't directly help bud sorry. My first question though would be what GPU did you have before? Did you have any of these specific stutter issues at all? Do you still have it so you could scientifically test and compare?

It doesn't sound great though and not to **** on your chips but I've had a lot of graphics cards over the years and the only 2 I ever had any problems with...............were Nvidia Gigabyte AIB cards. As such I actually won't even consider Gigabyte GPUs now. Silly probably I know, but there you go.

Associate
OP
Hmmm, not got a 3000 series (yet!) so can't directly help bud sorry. My first question though would be what GPU did you have before? Did you have any of these specific stutter issues at all? Do you still have it so you could scientifically test and compare?

It doesn't sound great though and not to **** on your chips but I've had a lot of graphics cards over the years and the only 2 I ever had any problems with...............were Nvidia Gigabyte AIB cards. As such I actually won't even consider Gigabyte GPUs now. Silly probably I know, but there you go.

Thanks for the reply, I previously had a GTX 1070 and did not encounter any problems at all with it (no stuttering or coil whine). Sadly I put my 1070 into my younger siblings computer so the only way to really to test and compare would be to steal the card back!

I am hoping that gigabyte doesn't turn out to be a bad omen for me as well. I guess the other issue with RMA'd the card is that I am not sure if I would be placed at the back or front of the queue. Seeing another post on the forum, it seemed that they were put at the back which seems pretty ridiculous, surely that can't be right.

Soldato
Thanks for the reply, I previously had a GTX 1070 and did not encounter any problems at all with it (no stuttering or coil whine). Sadly I put my 1070 into my younger siblings computer so the only way to really to test and compare would be to steal the card back!

I am hoping that gigabyte doesn't turn out to be a bad omen for me as well. I guess the other issue with RMA'd the card is that I am not sure if I would be placed at the back or front of the queue. Seeing another post on the forum, it seemed that they were put at the back which seems pretty ridiculous, surely that can't be right.

I just posted in that other forum actually. Absolutely appalling by OCUK if that's true. I wouldn't stand for that.
If you had a 1070 that was fine with regards to stutter then it's not sounding good. Coil whine is another issue but to be honest if it didn't settle down I couldn't live with coil whine at all as I have a super quiet setup.

Associate
OP
it could be worth a driver clean with DDU then a fresh install?

Good idea, thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately did not fix the stuttering.

.....also, not the same issue, but this might be interesting and maybe try underclocking slightly as a test (odd stuttering can sometimes be a sign when an overclock is pushed slightly too far)....

https://videocardz.com/newz/geforce-rtx-3080-sees-increasing-reports-of-crashes-in-games

I'll give the underclocking a go and see if there is any difference.

J.D

J.D

Soldato
Are you sure your PSU is up to the job? The 1070 is a 150watt card IIRC and the 3080 is 350watt card. It's something I'm worried about as I wait for my 3080 to arrive.

My PSU is a Corsair HX 750w Gold but the problem is, it's 8 years old in October. Never had an issue but I'm feeling that this might be the problem some are experiencing if it's nothing to do with their cards. Hopefully I don't have to buy a new PSU but if it's needed, I might just have to unless AMD give me a reason to consider other options.

If underclocking does provide the experience you're after then possibly try a new PSU. If it's not that, then you could simply return it.

Associate
OP
With -100Mhz underclock problem persisted. I also changed my display from my G-sync 144hz monitor to a 60hz monitor and problem still persisted even when the card was only pushing 1200 - 1400 MHz and capped at 60 fps.

The card can max Control at 2k at 90 + frames but open and closing the map on Control just obliterates the GPU as well as the simplest of loding tasks on other games... Not great.

Associate
OP
Are you sure your PSU is up to the job? The 1070 is a 150watt card IIRC and the 3080 is 350watt card. It's something I'm worried about as I wait for my 3080 to arrive.

My PSU is a Corsair HX 750w Gold but the problem is, it's 8 years old in October. Never had an issue but I'm feeling that this might be the problem some are experiencing if it's nothing to do with their cards. Hopefully I don't have to buy a new PSU but if it's needed, I might just have to unless AMD give me a reason to consider other options.

If underclocking does provide the experience you're after then possibly try a new PSU. If it's not that, then you could simply return it.

I wouldn't think so considering my EVGA 850W GQ is only a year old since I bought it and it isn't exactly a low quality PSU, if anything I think it's close to more higher tier PSUs? I do recall spending around £120 on it and it's Gold quality rated. I believe the PSU is definitely fine on paper, although not ruling out that potentially the extra power draw could be identifying that my PSU has been faulty all along? Although I highly doubt that.

Also the consistency of the stutters makes me think it's not PSU related, i.e. stutters at the same scenes and times within the Heaven benchmark and specific actions in games which cause stutters. If it was power related, I would think that the hits in performance would not have specific triggers but would be more random stutters and an average drop in frames which I don't experience.

Associate
Update your motherboard bios. Update windows chipset drivers. Go into your bios and make sure your pci slot is at the max setting.

Soldato
I wouldn't think so considering my EVGA 850W GQ is only a year old since I bought it and it isn't exactly a low quality PSU, if anything I think it's close to more higher tier PSUs? I do recall spending around £120 on it and it's Gold quality rated. I believe the PSU is definitely fine on paper, although not ruling out that potentially the extra power draw could be identifying that my PSU has been faulty all along? Although I highly doubt that.

Also the consistency of the stutters makes me think it's not PSU related, i.e. stutters at the same scenes and times within the Heaven benchmark and specific actions in games which cause stutters. If it was power related, I would think that the hits in performance would not have specific triggers but would be more random stutters and an average drop in frames which I don't experience.

Definitely not your power supply, that’s a decent one and is more than up to the task in terms of wattage and rating. Unless the powersupply itself has an issue and it didn’t manifest with your old card as it wasn’t being pushed hard enough? I doubt it though.

have you tried a DDU and driver reinstall yet? Failing that I think something sounds wrong on a GPU hardware level there

Associate
Just to add my experience. I got a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming and have played quite a lot with it already and haven't had any stuttering issues. There is some coil whine when the frame rate starts to go insanely high, but other than that no issues. I run on a Seasonic X 750W (about 9-10 years old now) and 8700K clocked at 5ghz. So that and that gpu is pulling a lot of power, almost certainly more than your AMD build.

I would say if you can try it in a different build if you can, maybe chuck into your brothers and see if there's any issues there. Before RMA I would certainly want to try it on a fresh windows install as well just to rule out windows weirdness.

Associate
A common issue flagged on reddit is whether people are using enough cables from PSU to GPU. Need to make sure you using separate cable for each 8 pin connector not one cable with the 2 8 pin connectors at the end. I was not aware of that until I saw it posted on a few threads

Associate
I would do belt and braces mate, all drivers and bios updated? Is the Ram for the CPU clocked right? New card that asks a lot of the other system parts that was masked by the 1070 not pushing the system much, could be something simple, I would spend the day going over everything bud and double check before you enter RMA, as there is a chap on here who had to RMA with OC and he 'claims' to have been put to the back of the queue (thats appalling 'if' true!).

Soldato
What PSU is in your siblings PC? I would put the 3080 in that machine and run the same games to see if the stuttering follows the card, if the PSU is up to it.

Associate
A common issue flagged on reddit is whether people are using enough cables from PSU to GPU. Need to make sure you using separate cable for each 8 pin connector not one cable with the 2 8 pin connectors at the end. I was not aware of that until I saw it posted on a few threads
100% this will be an issue, the one cable cant provide enough juice for the two plugs, seen this online a few times already, not sure why people think this would even work?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom