TSB - Interest Rates on Plus Account now at 0%

Soldato
Que? can you explain this? The only conclusion I can get to is that you get a better price by using finance.

Often there are incentives to take out/use finance. These days very few loans or credit items have early payback penalties, the interest rates are very low. The cheapest loans are 2.8%. You can beat that on the instant access Ratesetter investment 3%, or 3.5% for the 30 day notice one. There is also the stock market which traditionally beats savings accounts too.

Of course at this very moment there is a bit of turmoil, once things settle down, it is possible to be better off borrowing. Not that I'm advocating it.

Caporegime
But that's exactly my point, people don't think about that. I realise it's safer, but you have old people sewing money into curtains etc and this is just going to aggravate that.

Old people sewing money into curtains will continue do that. Old people who keep their money in the bank will continue to do that.

Interest rates going from next to nothing to nothing won't change anything.

Soldato
Stick it in a S&S ISA and leave it then for a few years. Should be at least +60% after 5 years (e.g. Vanguard LS 80/20)

You mean it could be +60%. It could also be -60%.

Some people want to have a guaranteed amount. Have 30k in an account for a house and are saving you are going to risk it in s&s?

Soldato
You mean it could be +60%. It could also be -60%.

Some people want to have a guaranteed amount. Have 30k in an account for a house and are saving you are going to risk it in s&s?
I mean over the last 5 years it has delivered +60%

If I'm saving for anymore than 2 years, yes I would stick it in a S&S ISA in a low-risk fund.

Soldato
"Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results"
Over the long term markets have always gone up. That's why I recommended tracker funds, not individual stocks.

Use a S&S ISA or don't, the decision is obviously up to the individual. But the fact is that it's a damn sight better for the money to be there (again, over the long term) than in a savings account.

Man of Honour
Soon be time to ditch that account then.
I've had mine since it was 5% and "We promise this won’t be taken away after a year". Technically, they didn't lie because they took it away before a year :|

There's a few switching bonuses around just now so set up a couple of direct debits on your TSB account, wait until December and switch to either HSBC (£125 bonus), RBS or LLoyds (both £100 bonus)
HSBC looks the most interesting right now so I'll probably try them. It's a shame because the local TSB branch service was very good, but current accounts aren't profitable unless you're paying fees so it's no wonder that so many banks are cutting back.
Problem with switching is you don't really want to do it with the "main account" as it hits your credit rating, in fact you don't want to do it too much if you can avoid it.

Having an account for a long time is also a positive for your credit rating.

If doing switches I would use a 2nd donor account that wasn't primary one.
Agreed. Fortunately I'm in that situation.
Pay off your mortgage debt is inversely more profitable. 1.5% is likely to be under the rate of value decline for sterling so it should not be though of saving especially.
Absolutely! I'm about to pay mine off, three years early. A big change from my massive overspending and ballooning debt days (I still spend more than I should, but not more than I can afford). Next step is to start putting more into the S&S ISA.

Soldato
Left a few months ago and moved back to HSBC.

Savings in general just seems dire at the moment; currently have a good chunk in a LISA but other than that I have money sitting in my main account, doing nothing with no place worth putting it in. Marcus, N&SI etc, all dropping rates.

Back
Top Bottom