Configuring domain & email

Soldato
I just opened an account with Krystal and the main purpose for the time being is to migrate away from Gmail, although I may set up a business website at a later date.

I've created a new email address me@my domain.co.uk via Cpanel and have successfully connected & tested send/receive via the Outlook app on my android device. I now want to test the calendar facility but Outlook says all calenders are hidden like I need to set up a new account?

Soldato
Yes, I've since discovered that I need to use third party apps to get it working. I'm not so fussed about the calendar, so happy to leave it with Google for now.

Cheers. :)

The only way i got a calendar to sync via imap is using an outlook program called Caldav. You have to setup the program on Outlook and then you set up a load of MX records i think. It was fiddly but it does eventually work. Gmail is many times easier. :D

daz

daz

Soldato
You'd probably be quite surprised, but from a hosting perspective email is not really any cheaper to provider than web space. Sure, there might not be as high CPU/memory requirements but most people have quite large mailboxes these days and providing support/talking people through setting up email and so on has a non-negligible cost.

Soldato
I use Microsoft365 for email hosting. It's not as cheap as some full web hosting packages (£4.50 per month) but it'll work properly with your Outlook app, etc.

Soldato
OP
I use Microsoft365 for email hosting. It's not as cheap as some full web hosting packages (£4.50 per month) but it'll work properly with your Outlook app, etc.

I've been looking at this but can't see the option, do you have a link you could share?

To clarify; could I get Microsoft 365 Family and use my domain for the email addresses? Is it as simple as updating name servers or would I have to have a web/email host in addition to the MS365 subscription?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm testing Fastmail just now, seems pretty good for the money so I may stick with it for a prolonged test. I notice they support multiple domains per user which is good.

The family option with MS365 would have been good, but no custom domain option. I might well go for the business account as the apps would be handy, but really their website is a mess for such a massive company.

Back
Top Bottom