• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3080 gigabyte gaming OC stuttering and coil whine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I wonder if its to do with the GDDR6X memory, its error correcting memory so if its having lots of issues/errors and its correcting them then thats going to hurt frame rate. Jayztwocents did a OC video showing the memory overclocks and how it causes more errors actually impacts your frame rate.

Can software even let you underclock the memory? I haven't checked.

Soldato
It’s difficult to say however coil whine is pretty common especially on these high power, high wattage cards. One reason I have my pc several feet away otherwise it drives me insane.

Stuttering and micro hitches in the witcher 3 is pretty common. It’s a great game but it is quite buggy. Unless say it’s freezing for several seconds at a time I have experienced the same with older gen cards on the witcher 3.

IMO it sounds more software related/drivers etc unless the card is dropping speeds, artifacting etc when the stuttering occurs I wouldn’t think it was the card at fault.

Best IMO to wait for driver fixes and improvements and perhaps completely remove and reinstall the driver with DDU and ensure other background software isn’t causing you issues which I’ve had in the past.

Also make sure your card is being fed by 2 seperate 8 pin cables from the psu. I’ve seen people having issues when using a dual 8 pin on the 3080.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good shout on making sure you have 2 separate 8 pin cables, that’s the first thing to check OP!

just re-read your first post, and got thinking. I’ve been running the heaven benchmark again recently after not using for a few years. I too get a few stutters/ judder/ hitching at exactly the same spots on every run.

I don’t have Control so can’t test that but will try the Witcher 3 later. Most of my games I don’t have any real hitching issues (I’m super sensitive to stutter and hitching/ frame pacing problems compared to many people, who I often think don’t even notice).

Soldato
Are you sure your PSU is up to the job? The 1070 is a 150watt card IIRC and the 3080 is 350watt card. It's something I'm worried about as I wait for my 3080 to arrive.

My PSU is a Corsair HX 750w Gold but the problem is, it's 8 years old in October. Never had an issue but I'm feeling that this might be the problem some are experiencing if it's nothing to do with their cards. Hopefully I don't have to buy a new PSU but if it's needed, I might just have to unless AMD give me a reason to consider other options.

If underclocking does provide the experience you're after then possibly try a new PSU. If it's not that, then you could simply return it.
I have the same doubts about my old Antec PSU, 4 rails, but will it cut the mustard with 3080? I wish I could find out!

Man of Honour
100% this will be an issue, the one cable cant provide enough juice for the two plugs, seen this online a few times already, not sure why people think this would even work?!

Rubbish... One cable is ample unless me running a radeon 7 daisy chained for years is some sort of miracle. On a low quality psu this may be the case and ive seen it resolve peoples problems but blanket statements like it isn't enough should be avoided.

Associate
OP
Thank you everyone for the suggestions, will definitely try these out and will update you on any progress, will also be testing more games.

To reply to some, I do have 2 separate 8 pin cables coming out my PSU to the GPU and I have reinstalled drivers with DDU but unfortunately no improvement. I have also updated my motherboard bios, ensured chipset drivers were updated and that nothing weird was going on within the BIOS but no change to the stuttering.

Interestingly, when loading Warzone for the first time, within the actual main menu (where your character walks in the background) the game was installing the multiplayer and warzone shaders, my GPU stuttered and fps tanked for a 1 - 2 minutes during the whole process and making that frustrating coil whine noise. I did not experience this with my 1070. This adds to my suspicion that the card has problems loading textures/shaders especially if for the firs time (as pointed out when casting a sign in the Witcher for the first time).

I'm not sure if that information is useful at all for diagnosing the problem but thought I should highlight that the problem doesn't necessarily exist when in-game itself but when loading new information. In fact, when playing Warzone in-game I experience no stuttering but only experienced the stuttering during that installing shaders process in the main menu.

Soldato
Thank you everyone for the suggestions, will definitely try these out and will update you on any progress, will also be testing more games.

To reply to some, I do have 2 separate 8 pin cables coming out my PSU to the GPU and I have reinstalled drivers with DDU but unfortunately no improvement. I have also updated my motherboard bios, ensured chipset drivers were updated and that nothing weird was going on within the BIOS but no change to the stuttering.

Interestingly, when loading Warzone for the first time, within the actual main menu (where your character walks in the background) the game was installing the multiplayer and warzone shaders, my GPU stuttered and fps tanked for a 1 - 2 minutes during the whole process and making that frustrating coil whine noise. I did not experience this with my 1070. This adds to my suspicion that the card has problems loading textures/shaders especially if for the firs time (as pointed out when casting a sign in the Witcher for the first time).

I'm not sure if that information is useful at all for diagnosing the problem but thought I should highlight that the problem doesn't necessarily exist when in-game itself but when loading new information. In fact, when playing Warzone in-game I experience no stuttering but only experienced the stuttering during that installing shaders process in the main menu.

Quite a common issue I think on WZ I experience the exact same stutters every time my game decides to update shaders etc.

Usually smooth sailing after that though.

Associate
Rubbish... One cable is ample unless me running a radeon 7 daisy chained for years is some sort of miracle. On a low quality psu this may be the case and ive seen it resolve peoples problems but blanket statements like it isn't enough should be avoided.
You lost me at Radeon 7 lol

Associate
what framerates are you getting when you get the coil whine? Only time I ever get coil whine is in loading screens and stuff where it can push a ridiculously high framerate.

Man of Honour
You lost me at Radeon 7 lol
ok.........

So you think a vendor would put multiple 8pins on a single cable if there was 0 chance it could deliver 300w over that cable? I see people saying this all the time and although there is some merit in it saying things like "100% this is an issue" is just wrong.

Also in terms of requirements the 7 meets mine like no other card does, not all of us priorities gaming workloads. It's also similar in terms of power requirements to the new NV stuff so isn't a million miles away in terms of power draw comparisons.

Soldato
Op are you able to try the card in another PC (your younger siblings system)? It sounds like you have gone through the normal troubleshooting steps we would all go through and the system was not reacting in the same way with the 1070 suggesting the culprit is the 3080.

One extra thing to monitor is what happens to the GPU clocks & usage during the period where it stutters, you say it does this consistently at the same spot in Heaven thus this would be a simple test to try. It sounds like the card is perhaps either dropping clocks (switching between 2D and 3D clocks) at this point as it also corresponds to a drop in coil whine. The latter can often occur when the card is under heavy load or the framerate sky rockets suggesting a drop is related to a drop in power usage or FPS (dropped clocks).

It certainly doesn't sound like a normal power issue as a) Your PSU is a good one, b) you say you can run Control quite happily with no issues during gameplay but when opening the map it occurs and c) normally a system will simply shut off or the game (software putting load on GPU) will quit to desktop if a power issue is detected on modern hardware - especially when said hardware is objectively good.

Associate
One cable is ample

And that's just not objectively correct, though yeah you may be able to get away with that.

PCI-e power cables have a minimum power draw of 150W (for 8-pin) they must be able to cope with, and some manufacturers will do just that rather than go with a thicker wire gauge. Thicker wires are more expensive, and more difficult to work with (I know because I made and sleeved my own cables). And then there's power draw from the rail(s) on your power supply where a different connector might have to use a different rail, and what those connectors might be able to cope with.

Fact is that by running your PCI-e power across a single cable you might be asking too much from that cable. It will heat up more than it is supposed to (your isolation could end up melting, guess what that might do). And it may not be able to provide adequate angry pixies to the card, causing stability issues.

So yeah, do what you must but please stop recommending it is a good solution to others. There are good reasons multiple cables are recommended.

Associate
So you think a vendor would put multiple 8pins on a single cable if there was 0 chance it could

Also in terms of requirements the 7 meets mine like no other card does, not all of us priorities gaming workloads. It's also similar in terms of power requirements to the new NV stuff so isn't a million miles away in terms of power draw comparisons.
The simple fact is, these are the most power hungry cards in the market, and they put 2 or 3 connectors for a reason. 340w is required to ensure no issues, i don't believe splitting one cable power into 2 is wise move. My old 1080ti used 2 8 pins and used 250w, my thermaltake 750w thoughpower was definitely pushed to get that power out, i doubt
So you think a vendor would put multiple 8pins on a single cable if there was 0 chance it could deliver 300w over that cable? I see people saying this all the time and although there is some merit in it saying things like "100% this is an issue" is just wrong.

Power requirements will vary from system to system depending on the hardware you have, however daisy chaining is not a good practice, and to even suggest this is ok on a 3080 is nothing but ridiculous. If you have a good power supply you should be able to get 3 8 pin and avoid daisy chain all together. Just because it works, doesn't mean it works as it should or efficiently. I recently upgraded to a 10gen intel, and my old 750w thermaltake thoughpower had to be replaced, due to 2 8pin, if daisy chaining was ok i wouldnt have bothered but clearly you havent built enough systems to know what you are on about, also each rail will have a maximum output so daisy chaining is limited to the max of that rail.

Associate
And that's just not objectively correct, though yeah you may be able to get away with that.

PCI-e power cables have a minimum power draw of 150W (for 8-pin) they must be able to cope with, and some manufacturers will do just that rather than go with a thicker wire gauge. Thicker wires are more expensive, and more difficult to work with (I know because I made and sleeved my own cables). And then there's power draw from the rail(s) on your power supply where a different connector might have to use a different rail, and what those connectors might be able to cope with.

Fact is that by running your PCI-e power across a single cable you might be asking too much from that cable. It will heat up more than it is supposed to (your isolation could end up melting, guess what that might do). And it may not be able to provide adequate angry pixies to the card, causing stability issues.

So yeah, do what you must but please stop recommending it is a good solution to others. There are good reasons multiple cables are recommended.
Agreed!

Man of Honour
The simple fact is, these are the most power hungry cards in the market, and they put 2 or 3 connectors for a reason. 340w is required to ensure no issues, i don't believe splitting one cable power into 2 is wise move. My old 1080ti used 2 8 pins and used 250w, my thermaltake 750w thoughpower was definitely pushed to get that power out, i doubt

Power requirements will vary from system to system depending on the hardware you have, however daisy chaining is not a good practice, and to even suggest this is ok on a 3080 is nothing but ridiculous. If you have a good power supply you should be able to get 3 8 pin and avoid daisy chain all together. Just because it works, doesn't mean it works as it should or efficiently. I recently upgraded to a 10gen intel, and my old 750w thermaltake thoughpower had to be replaced, due to 2 8pin, if daisy chaining was ok i wouldnt have bothered but clearly you havent built enough systems to know what you are on about, also each rail will have a maximum output so daisy chaining is limited to the max of that rail.

Oh ive built plenty of system, you were the one saying its 100% an issue and i'm pointing out that it's not necessarily 100% an issue. My current rig has a 180w tdp cpu in it alongside 8 sticks of memory, 3nvme drives and a power hungry gpu that is daisy chained... you get the point. I wouldn't be so quick to agree with over posters either if you aren't reading what they post, It's not a minimum of 150w which is in fact the maximum delivered over an 8pin. If you read back I state there is some merit in it but point out it's not 100% an issue. Either way this doesn't look at all like a power related issue and imo never really did so ill let you guys carry on with the random troubleshooting.

Associate
Oh ive built plenty of system, you were the one saying its 100% an issue and i'm pointing out that it's not necessarily 100% an issue. My current rig has a 180w tdp cpu in it alongside 8 sticks of memory, 3nvme drives and a power hungry gpu that is daisy chained... you get the point. I wouldn't be so quick to agree with over posters either if you aren't reading what they post, It's not a minimum of 150w which is in fact the maximum delivered over an 8pin. If you read back I state there is some merit in it but point out it's not 100% an issue. Either way this doesn't look at all like a power related issue and imo never really did so ill let you guys carry on with the random troubleshooting.

Fair enough, i get where you are coming from, might not be 100% a problem depending on the scenario, i recently bought a seasonic 750w 80 titanium and im on the list for the 3080, after spending £200 on the psu this issue has been on my mind specially after seeing the model i picked can draw 430w+ from the psu alone. The cable situation might not be an issue here but if the card doesnt get enough juice might cause issues or worse. Even a 6 pin to 8 pin makes a difference. Lets hope this chap gets his issue resolved :)

Man of Honour
Fair enough, i get where you are coming from, might not be 100% a problem depending on the scenario, i recently bought a seasonic 750w 80 titanium and im on the list for the 3080, after spending £200 on the psu this issue has been on my mind specially after seeing the model i picked can draw 430w+ from the psu alone. The cable situation might not be an issue here but if the card doesnt get enough juice might cause issues or worse. Even a 6 pin to 8 pin makes a difference. Lets hope this chap gets his issue resolved :)

On a quality supply like that Seasonic id wager it wouldn't be an issue :p I'm running a Seasonic Platinum Series 860w - Quality supplies for sure :) Reading around the cards do seem to have issues with the corsair RM range of supplies, which the op isn't running but its still interesting. I find it funny how reviewers start coming out of the woodwork claiming that the system was crashing consistently during their testing but failed to put that in the review or give people a heads up running similar systems that this may be a potential issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom