The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Associate
So I'm fairly deep into my whisky journey. I know what I like, and that is not defined by the classic "areas". I've spent my time with the usual malts like the south coast of Islay, for example. Here's a picture of my collection as it stands:

free image hosting

I'm clearly very low on Speyside, and Islay I guess. That's not because I dislike those areas, but because I've been trying to try new things.

Would be very happy to take opinions and ideas for some new bottles.

Slàinte

Soldato
Having a little stock up, for my next bottle to try Im looking at Spingbank 10 or kilkerran 12, seen these mentioned on here, unsure which to go for first, anyone tried both and has a favourite?

Soldato
Would be very happy to take opinions and ideas for some new bottles.
I think you need some of that Springbank funk in your life. Springbank 10, Longrow for a peaty version (one of my faves), or maybe Hazelburn for their lighter moer Speyside-esque offering. Those, and a Ledaig 10 because I just got it and love it.

Having a little stock up, for my next bottle to try Im looking at Spingbank 10 or kilkerran 12, seen these mentioned on here, unsure which to go for first, anyone tried both and has a favourite?
Springbank is more distinctive to me, got that funk going on which is different from anything else. Kilkerran is similar, but I find it quiet light and Speyside-y. Very lovely, but as abov every whisky fan should make themselves familiar with Springbank tbh :)

Soldato
I think you need some of that Springbank funk in your life. Springbank 10, Longrow for a peaty version (one of my faves), or maybe Hazelburn for their lighter moer Speyside-esque offering. Those, and a Ledaig 10 because I just got it and love it.

Springbank is more distinctive to me, got that funk going on which is different from anything else. Kilkerran is similar, but I find it quiet light and Speyside-y. Very lovely, but as abov every whisky fan should make themselves familiar with Springbank tbh :)

I got some Springbank 10 and Clynelish 14 to try:)

Associate

Ashamed to admit I haven't had anything from Springbank yet (including Longrow and Hazelburn). I've found a shop with Springbank 10 and 15 in stock, so they'll be on next months purchase list! I've had Ledaig 10 before, lovely stuff. The tobermory on my top shelf is a hand-filled Marsala cask finish Tobermory. Barely chose that in favour of a hand-filled cask strength Ledaig. Both were superb but I couldn't afford both!

Soldato
Got these four from our monthly whisky club:

Not opened any yet but looking forward to the Aird Mhor, smells delicious!
Sorry for the awful Instagram shot, it's not mine!

Ab9IsK1.png

Soldato
Glenlivet 12 I just got in local Tesco for £28. That's a great price!
Never knew this thread existed which has annoyed me greatly... but I am here now! :)

Associate
Just spotted this too! Haven't made any new purchases in a while, just been sipping on the wee bottles I get from Master of Malt's dram club each month, that I got as a birthday present last year.

That said, got a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail as a thank you recently and it's probably my favourite "normal" whisky. Last purchase was from going to Islay a few years ago. Fell for Bruichladdich's marketing and got a single cask whisky that you fill yourself from a cask, albeit not the cask the whisky was distilled in :D

Associate
Ordered a few miniatures from Hard to Find Whisky (one of the few places with reasonable delivery to France), well worth the £40 or so spent to try a few different things.

Arran 14 - had high hopes and a bit disappointed. Bit astringent and harsh, though there is some fruityness with a bit of green apple. Smooths out after 30 mins in the glass and a bit of water with some malty/biscuity notes coming through. Still got a dram left so hoping round 2 will be better.

Tomatin 14 Port Finish - A cracker. Honeyed fruits and rich caramel on the nose. A port hit on the palate without being overpowering and some chocolate/cocoa notes. Some white pepper on the finish which is medium length. Beautiful, rich, creamy and sweet.

Glenallachie 12 - Also nice. Nose has butterscotch and some dried fruit. A silky mouthfeel and some fruity sweetness. A short finish with a hit of banana.

Laphroaig 10 - I'm not generally a peaty guy. had this before and just tasted TCP so was giving it another go. Still getting the iodine but was expecting much more in the way of peat/smoke. There's a bit and a hint of smoked fish/maritime. The palate is initially quite sweet tbh. Didn't hate it but just thought it was a bit bland if anything. Think I can go peatier.

Glenfarclas 105 - Phwoar! Big sherry hit initially, like a nan at Christmas. Left it in the glass for 45 mins and got some oaky sweetness like vanilla/caramel on the nose. Palate initially heavy on the sherry but also very spicy with a dry, peppery finish. A little green apple on the finish as well. I liked this though it requires attention and not something you can just sip without thinking about it.

Anyone, enough ******* on. Tomatin 14 was my favourite and I've just ordered a full bottle
smile.png

Associate

I may have taken your suggestion and run with it. :D

IMG-20200917-122819.jpg

Soldato
I may have taken your suggestion and run with it. :D
Ha, nice work indeed. You won't regret it. I keep staring at my empty Longrow bottle, but I do have a a brand new Springbank 10 waiting to be opened so I shouldn't do anything yet.. I've not ventured up to the 15, let me now how it is. I'm sure it's brilliant!

Associate
Ha, nice work indeed. You won't regret it. I keep staring at my empty Longrow bottle, but I do have a a brand new Springbank 10 waiting to be opened so I shouldn't do anything yet.. I've not ventured up to the 15, let me now how it is. I'm sure it's brilliant!

I've had a dram of all 3 tonight whilst watching Aqvavitae vPub!

Hazelburn - Really nice, light dram, lots of green fruit and biscuits. Nice long finish.

Springbank - Pleasantly wierd. Smells like an sherry cask and old bookshelf, tastes like chewing a rubber band.

Longrow - Smells like poppers (lol). Tastes like marshmallows on a bonfire.

Soldato
I've had a dram of all 3 tonight whilst watching Aqvavitae vPub!

Hazelburn - Really nice, light dram, lots of green fruit and biscuits. Nice long finish.

Springbank - Pleasantly wierd. Smells like an sherry cask and old bookshelf, tastes like chewing a rubber band.

Longrow - Smells like poppers (lol). Tastes like marshmallows on a bonfire.

I get the rubber or wax taste from the springbank 10, whats your pick of the above 3 if you had to choose?

Thanks

Associate
I get the rubber or wax taste from the springbank 10, whats your pick of the above 3 if you had to choose?

Thanks

They're all so different I guess it depends what kind of mood you're in. The SB15 has more depth than the other two, no doubt in part due to the extra time in the cask. The Longrow is a nice, heavily peated dram, and probably edges out in front of the classic lighter Islay's like Laphroaig 10 and Ardbeg 10. Not as rich as a Lagavulin, somewhere in between. I'm probably more in a period of enjoying subtlety in a dram at the moment. I'm really enjoying a lot of coastal highland malts, so the Hazelburn is really speaking to me at the moment. It's along the lines of a Clynelish.

Soldato
They're all so different I guess it depends what kind of mood you're in. The SB15 has more depth than the other two, no doubt in part due to the extra time in the cask. The Longrow is a nice, heavily peated dram, and probably edges out in front of the classic lighter Islay's like Laphroaig 10 and Ardbeg 10. Not as rich as a Lagavulin, somewhere in between. I'm probably more in a period of enjoying subtlety in a dram at the moment. I'm really enjoying a lot of coastal highland malts, so the Hazelburn is really speaking to me at the moment. It's along the lines of a Clynelish.

I have some Clynelish myself, not opened it yet.

Soldato
Glenmorangie 10, Highland Park 12 and Aberlour 12 all at cracking prices in Tesco at the moment.
Honestly not sure if prices/deals in Tesco are UK wide or if the prices I get stuff for is Scotland only?

Back
Top Bottom