• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3080 Owners Thread

Soldato
How on earth did you know?
Stay up all night smashing F5 :p

85d.gif

Soldato
Could someone with a 3080 that runs 3440x1440 try this please.

Install Quake II RTX from Steam (its free)

Change settings to not scale resolution, global illumination high
Ideally screenshoot or write down other settings used
3440x1440 res

Tilde to open console
Timedemo 1
Demo demo 1

What fps?

Interested to see how it stacks up against 2080Ti as it’s the only full path traced game so far I believe.

Overclock it and run the same, how much more fps?

Well I was going to try that in 4k, (or your res if I could work out how) but it tells me there is no such file for demo 1

Soldato
Could someone with a 3080 that runs 3440x1440 try this please.

Install Quake II RTX from Steam (its free)

Change settings to not scale resolution, global illumination high
Ideally screenshoot or write down other settings used
3440x1440 res

Tilde to open console
Timedemo 1
Demo demo 1

What fps?

Interested to see how it stacks up against 2080Ti as it’s the only full path traced game so far I believe.

Overclock it and run the same, how much more fps?
Interested in this as well, i run the same resolution. If its only marginally faster im getting a secondhand 2080ti, cba to wait months on end...

Soldato
I actually received the card on monday but have been busy with RL then when I finally got around to installing it some of the builders on the estate decided to chop through a fiber optic cable which left me with out the internet for 2 days so just got around to checking in.

IMG-1658.jpg

a quick bench run.

IMG-1657.jpg

Soldato
I actually received the card on monday but have been busy with RL then when I finally got around to installing it some of the builders on the estate decided to chop through a fiber optic cable which left me with out the internet for 2 days so just got around to checking in.

IMG-1658.jpg

a quick bench run.

IMG-1657.jpg

Is that bench run @ stock without custom fan profiles?

Soldato
Is that bench run @ stock without custom fan profiles?
No, at stock it scored around 17500 this was with a core +80 mem +900 and fans at 100%

Still not far off some of the higher specced cards like the evga ftw3 which was only about 200 points higher with a much higher power limit.

Last edited:
Soldato
No, at stock it scored around 17500 this was with a core +80 mem +900 and fans at 100%

Still not far off some of the higher specced cards like the evga ftw3 which was only about 200 points higher with a much higher power limit.

I got mine today. I only had time to put mine into my machine and do a run at stock on timespy in my lunch break today - I got 17394 graphics score totally stock. Fans didn't start kicking in until like 65 degrees or something lol. I think I can do something decent with this so I'm relatively happy as a first impression.

Soldato
I got mine today. I only had time to put mine into my machine and do a run at stock on timespy in my lunch break today - I got 17394 graphics score totally stock. Fans didn't start kicking in until like 65 degrees or something lol. I think I can do something decent with this so I'm relatively happy as a first impression.

Yeah it seems solid enough and should perform on par with the higher speced models if msi release a power limit increasing bios. I'm pleased with what I got for £650 and would see no reason to spend £200 more for 2-4 fps gain.

Soldato
Still no filename message .

timedemo 1
demo demo1

Should look like this. I get 42fps on 3440 x 1440.

7bylB56.png

2Ax7xQE.png

I highly doubt the 3080 is capable of "fully path traced games at 4k 60fps" as leather jacked 50 spatula man stated. Also bearing in mind Quake II RTX is a full path traced game but a very old game
We are probably two or three Nvidia generations off fully path traced modern games that run 4k 60fps.
It will be interesting to see what sort of PS5 path tracing game optimisation is used to maintain either 60 or 30fps. Watching some trailers for PS5 games there are even parts where you see it stutter / slow right down to maybe 15fps. Render resolution scaling would certainly help as it works very well in Quake II RTX

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
timedemo 1
demo demo1

Should look like this. I get 42fps on 3440 x 1440.

7bylB56.png

2Ax7xQE.png

I highly doubt the 3080 is capable of "fully path traced games at 4k 60fps" as leather jacked 50 spatula man stated. Also bearing in mind Quake II RTX is a full path traced game but a very old game
We are probably two or three Nvidia generations off fully path traced modern games that run 4k 60fps.
It will be interesting to see what sort of PS5 path tracing game optimisation is used to maintain either 60 or 30fps. Watching some trailers for PS5 games there are even parts where you see it stutter / slow right down to maybe 15fps. Render resolution scaling would certainly help as it works very well in Quake II RTX
Did you guys notice the spatulas in the hardware unboxed review? That cracked me up.

Associate
17263 graphics on stock, GB Gaming
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/14055979

My aging 7700K lets me down in overall score, but it's got a great OC on it. In benching the few games I've had time to open up so far, only Shadow of The Tomb Raider at 1440P Ultra hits 99% CPU and still with frame rates well above 60 so I'm pretty happy. The step up from my 980TI is huge, especially now being able to actually use my 144Hz G-Sync Compatible monitor properly.

Back
Top Bottom