UPVC frame removal - help!

Associate
An odd situation - we have a pair of internal UPVC french doors that we want to remove. I have taken the doors off and the glass out fine and i am now faced with a problem where the doorframe is seated into the wall on all four sides by about 3 inches - left, right and top bottom. I guess they were fitted and the previous occupants had the builder render over the entry side. It looks like i would need to hack away the wall by three or four inches off all four surfaces which would need a lot of making good. I am hoping i can cut the frame in multiple places, but the frame does have a metal core. Just wondering if anyone knew how hard cutting this frame would be and if there are any weak points?

Permabanned
Your best bet is an angle grinder with a metal cutting abrasive blade. They are not difficult to cut but I wouldn't try it by hand!

Soldato
Careful grinding UPVC - if it starts melting it produces toxic gasses so wear a mask. I have been doing a lot of UPVC cutting and bonding of late.

Associate
OP
Can you post a picture? And are you absolutely sure it's not a fixed on architrave?
Yes bud, i have already removed the architrave. this wall was previously the external wall of the house with double upvc doors. They then built an extension out of this external face and left the doors in. When they plaster boarded the extension they boarded and plastered the (previously) external reveals - hope that makes sense. I will try and get a pic up at the weekend if i have more trouble. Looks like i need to hack away at the reveals- and give it a whack. The side, top and bottom hammer down fixings are all out. I cant even get a sharp edge in to cut away the expanding foam:(

Soldato
Yes bud, i have already removed the architrave. this wall was previously the external wall of the house with double upvc doors. They then built an extension out of this external face and left the doors in. When they plaster boarded the extension they boarded and plastered the (previously) external reveals - hope that makes sense. I will try and get a pic up at the weekend if i have more trouble. Looks like i need to hack away at the reveals- and give it a whack. The side, top and bottom hammer down fixings are all out. I cant even get a sharp edge in to cut away the expanding foam:(

Which way are you trying to remove the door? If the wall used to be an external wall then the 'outside' leaf of brick / block will overlap the frame slightly so that the doors butted up against it. If you remove the plasterboard on the inside side the door fixings will be in the side of the inner leaf of block.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...ck-cavity-wall-a-at-the-top-b_fig22_292349198

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Which way are you trying to remove the door? If the wall used to be an external wall then the 'outside' leaf of brick / block will overlap the frame slightly so that the doors butted up against it. If you remove the plasterboard on the inside side the door fixings will be in the side of the inner leaf of block.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...ck-cavity-wall-a-at-the-top-b_fig22_292349198

Cheers for that! Its out! :)
Combination of cutting away the internal plaster 2" all round, that allowed me to get the multi tool cutter in and cut the expanding foam from around the entire frame, then a bit of persuasion will a rubber mallet and she was free! Managed to get the frame out in one piece- then realised i will have to cut it to get it to the recycling centre :p
Cheers for all the suggestions!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom