So long Uncle Ben...

Soldato
It will soon be the age where grandmothers/aunts themselves grew up in the convenience food age, so the use of the word as a reverence to cuisinary capability will be gone.

I don't remember if Roberston's was of particularly good quality , before the age of fructose syrup i guess, but think we used to keep the stickers, how did they come off the jar.

Duchy originals - a white privilege thing.

Colonel Sanders title was apparently attributed in Kentucky, so I still think the civil war confederate link is there.

Soldato
Seems like a pointless change, to a worse name.

It will cost them many millions to do and they will lose customers who dont realise its happened.

Permabanned
It will soon be the age where grandmothers/aunts themselves grew up in the convenience food age, so the use of the word as a reverence to cuisinary capability will be gone.

I don't remember if Roberston's was of particularly good quality , before the age of fructose syrup i guess, but think we used to keep the stickers, how did they come off the jar.

Duchy originals - a white privilege thing.

Colonel Sanders title was apparently attributed in Kentucky, so I still think the civil war confederate link is there.

Aunt Jemima has already been rebranded but GD wasn't being extremely online at the time so there wasn't a thread on it.

Capodecina
Soldato
Mr Kipling is also on their watch list. I think his ancestors were slave owners.

Mr Kippling was probably a sweetie man luring kids into his pie shop

Apparently he was made up for the brand.

But what about the man from Del Monte? Didn't he own a lot of pineapple plantations tended to by exploited black workers from which HE made money and took the credit? Pineapple juice is racist.

Lilt. Lilt is a tropical drink which is made from mango, pineapple and lime flavourings which natives have to make by scaling palm trees and then distilling for rich white people to sell.

Grower's Harvest - who are the growers and who is harvesting the crops? I think you know the answer - black workers. Disgusting.

Don't get me started on Um Bongo.

Last edited:
Caporegime
surely racists would be put off by a black persons face being on the packaging?

I don't get how it's racist if people see it as a friendly face and isn't it fairly normal for people to only be paid a one off payment?

would it still be racist if it was an asian person instead since they are so well known for growing rice

because apparently it leans into the racist way that slave owners would call their elderly slaves “uncle” instead of Mr. This is according to what I read earlier.
wouldnt that be more like seeing them as part of the family rather than an insult.

I'm sure they called some of their white relatives uncle as well

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom